Has anyone ever sold off their RG collection?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mantas

Has anyone ever sold off their RG collection?

Post by Mantas » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:01 pm

I have read every issue from issue 1 and I love every one of them. However, I looked at the massive pile of nearly 150 issues and thought, "Why am i keeping them?"
Has anyone had the same thoughts or perhaps sold them off and then regretted it?

Shinobi

Re: Has anyone ever sold off their RG collection?

Post by Shinobi » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:11 pm

Sold all mine apart from 3 Issue's,namely issue 11, the Gradius and 1942 issue's.. On the other hand I've got about 5 foot of old Magazines Commodore User, Super Play, Mean Machines and Mean Machine Sega complete sets, Sega Force, Zzap most issues and loads of C&VGs to name a few.. I regret getting rid of load 1 Retro Gamers as they where really good but I find the Bookazines pretty much cover the newer stuff
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:56 pm

Probably not since I joined rather late in the game thus the issues I have are probably as cheap as my NGamer collection.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:48 am

I sold all mine, even issue 1. That is the only one I regret selling now. I kept all the specials though, SNES/Megadrive, NES/Master Sytem, Amiga etc

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:42 am

I've got every issue from about issue 40 and sometimes wonder whether I should sell them or not. The thing is, I like having the option of going back and reading them, which I did once last year in order to get ideas for games to buy and pixel art to make. They take up a box in my storage locker, so I can't really say they take up more space than they're worth. If anything, my boxes of comics do that. You really need a big house if you want to collect anything!!
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:43 am

Got rid of all mine at a car boot sale ages ago. Cheaply too, figured they were better off with someone who was gonna read them again rather than just sitting in a box.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:08 am

flying_delorean81 wrote:You really need a big house if you want to collect anything!!
I live in a one bedroom flat and some "creative stacking" means I can still collect a lot of stuff :wink:
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:19 am

Nope, I have all mine, along with every issue of CVG, Mean Machines, Super Play, Total and NMS. To be honest though space really is at a premium now, I can barely slip another issue under my bed!
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:35 am

I think I have two copies laying around somewhere.... an N64 one and a Doom one. I used to use the back covers for roaches in me joints and roll-ups. I deaded many a DWM and RG doing that.
Going Solo...................

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:42 pm

I got rid of all of mine + all the bookazines (save for the Playstation book). Took up lots of space and didn't find myself ever re-reading them due to not really having the time to get through newer, unread magazines/books let alone returning to old stuff!

These days I only buy the issues that have enough interesting content inside for me. I just don't have the time for magazines anymore so articles of little interest don't inspire me to read them as much as they used to.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:53 pm

Ive got loads of back issues in my attic, don't want them, can't give them away. Love and buy the mag as ever but I'm not into hoarding magazines anymore.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:21 pm

I missed issue one despite reading it several times on my lunch at work. Went to get it on payday and issue 2 had come out.

I'd like a big compilation of all the disc content before I sell as the coverdiscs were quite entertaining.

I don't read it as much lately due to time constraints. Covers have to really grab me to be honest,though most things that interest me have already had their cover moments.

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:45 pm

It's a slippery slope. One minute you're selling your Retro Gamer collection, the next you're selling cocaine to small children. I don't want to risk it.

That said, I've stopped buying the bookazines. I looked at the new Retro Vol 8, Retro Gamer Annual, Megadrive/SNES Vol2 bookazine and Atari bookazine today and didn't buy any of them.

Primarily because I was looking for MagPi.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:36 pm

I don't have the space so get rid of mine as soon as I've read them. I used to put them on EBay but it isn't worth the hassle so I give them to a local charity shop. Have kept about half a dozen choice issues.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:22 pm

I still have every single issue from the day Retrogamer hit the shelves including the coverdiscs .
I cant see myself getting rid of them as i just re read them on a regular basis, just grab one from the pile and enjoy :D

I did get rid of my collection of Games TM and regretted it almost immediatly.
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!