What are your kids after this Christmas?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

playzooki

Re: What are your kids after this Christmas?

Post by playzooki » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:10 pm

gman72 wrote: Apparently her 4s is so old and embarrassing that it is affecting her school life. :lol:
i have an iphone 4 and nobody makes fun of me for it, i intend to use it for at least another year, - i know a lot of people who would be embarassed by a 4s though. :P

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:28 pm

my nephew bought an iphone 5c, saved up and bought it himself

he is 11 :shock:

this year he wants a manchester city shirt, amongst other things, the whole family are united fans.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:28 am

gman72 wrote:Mia(12) is getting an iPhone 5c and money. Apparently her 4s is so old and embarrassing that it is affecting her school life. :lol
Hide the iPhone for a bit and present her with a Nokia C5 to begin with and pretend you've got it wrong.

Cruel, but funny. Don't forget to film the reaction when she opens it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:45 am

My lad wants a Bert from Thomas the Tank Engine. Except there isn't a toy for Bert. Despite him being in a film released at the cinema this year, and Fisher-Price having released Rex and Mike (for those who don't know/care, they're all miniature engines so must come from the same mold). He's 2, so wouldn't stop asking for it and couldn't understand why I couldn't get one. Ended up writing to Fisher Price to ask, they are releasing one, but not until the new year. I get the feeling he's going to be driving me mad alllll Christmas...

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:56 am

This is the first year he didn't need to be nagged for what he wanted.
Most of the other things he wants are coming from the rest of the family.

The bike is because he has developmental co-ordination disorder , his balance is terrible and I really want him to come out with me and enjoy cycling as much as he does when they use them at his disability group.

As for cost,well he deserves a treat , its my job to encourage him and it will be nice to have a common hobby.

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:09 am

My daughter (8) wants and iPad mini and an iPhone 4. My wife got a mint boxed iPad mini from someone locally on Facebook for £50. The iPhone 4 was about the same price.

My son (4) says "I want that!" to virtually every advert on the telly. We have got him some Paw Patrol stuff so far. He had the new Tracy Island for his birthday in September. Should have held that back for christmas!

tachi

Post by tachi » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:55 pm

My 5yo wants this year:
A Power Ranger suit and laser gun
Lion-o's magic sword
Thor's hammer
New princess shoes
A new Twilight Sparkle with flashing wings
A real Spaceship as she's learning about space in school and wants to bring some moon rock in for Show and Tell
And anything else Daddy thinks is cool apparently :)
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:30 am

AceGrace wrote:My daughter (8) wants and iPad mini and an iPhone 4. My wife got a mint boxed iPad mini from someone locally on Facebook for £50. The iPhone 4 was about the same price.
I'm probably sounding like Scrooge again but an 8 year old getting an ipad mini and an iphone ? You'll be buying her the whole of North Wales for her 18th the way you're going ;)

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:59 am

Just a tip for people buying LEGO - a few things slated for next year may appear in the official stores from 1st December. One will be the 21304 Doctor Who TARDIS interior, others could be the new Disney Frozen 41066 Sleigh and 41068 Arendelle Castle sets.

The LEGO Dimensions game is a bit pricey, and by all accounts you don't get a huge amount of extra levels to play out of the expansion packs; don't know how this compares to Skylanders or Disney. However, you do get some unbelievable licensing cross-overs with Scooby Doo, Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Simpsons, Chell from Portal, Gandalf and other such characters and vehicles all available. One promotional picture I've seen shows minifigures of Doctor Who, Doc Brown and Ray Stantz with the tagline "Trust us, we're Doctors!". Other hilarious videos show Scooby-Doo riding round in Super-Hero styled mini-vehicles or riding Marty McFly's hoverboard. So just watching your kids play it will have you rolling round on the floor.

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:43 am

Lego Dimensions is on my kid's list along with a new skateboard and possibly a HUDL. Not sure whether to get the HUDL, go for a different Android device or get an iPad.

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:11 am

psj3809 wrote:
AceGrace wrote:My daughter (8) wants and iPad mini and an iPhone 4. My wife got a mint boxed iPad mini from someone locally on Facebook for £50. The iPhone 4 was about the same price.
I'm probably sounding like Scrooge again but an 8 year old getting an ipad mini and an iphone ? You'll be buying her the whole of North Wales for her 18th the way you're going ;)
:D

Like I said the iPad mini was £50 and the same for the phone. She doesn't have a sim in it so will just use it for sending us emails at this stage.

I would rather she had those than an endless amount of toys she will never touch.

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:39 pm

My 3 year old son loves my ipad so were getting him a leap pad. He's had a go on one and loved it so we know hell be happy.

And his current obsession is Paw Patrol on Nick Jr so he's getting some more of that stuff.

And maybe a bike because he's getting the hang of peddling, but he's not 100% confident so we may wait until his Birthday in June.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:14 am

STranger81 wrote:he's getting the hang of peddling
You've got him out hawking wares and earning a crust already? Good show, that man.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:23 am

Hmm, Lego Dimensions has just shot to number one for my son. Will see what he says next week.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:14 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
gman72 wrote:Mia(12) is getting an iPhone 5c and money. Apparently her 4s is so old and embarrassing that it is affecting her school life. :lol
Hide the iPhone for a bit and present her with a Nokia C5 to begin with and pretend you've got it wrong.

Cruel, but funny. Don't forget to film the reaction when she opens it.
It would be hilarious but I can't be that cruel to her.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD