Paris under attack

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sephiroth81

Re: Paris under attack

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:41 pm

fredghostmaster wrote:Seph, that was a strange answer to my question, in fact it wasn't really an answer at all was it? It was another question, a great diversionary tactic. Yes, statistically someone you know is more likely to die of cancer etc but that wasn't what I asked. As I said earlier, I lost a good friend in the Aldgate 7/7 bombing, so I know what it is like to lose someone in a terrorist attack in this country, albeit caused by a homegrown bomber. I asked how would you feel if it happened to you, would you want to know how and why a terrorist was allowed in under the guise of being a refugee? Or would you shrug and accept there are always the odd bad apple in every crowd? No one is saying you should hate refugees by the way, stop putting words in peoples mouths. Limiting refugees may be harsh on genuine ones but if it keeps out a few "bad apples" and saves the lives of potentially hundreds of UK citizens, then it is the Government's responsibility to the people of this country to keep them safe. I wonder if you'd still take the moral high ground on everything if you had been personally affected, I hope you never have to find out.
"Or would you shrug and accept there are always the odd bad apple in every crowd?"

Exactly this. I am rational enough to understand that not everyone is bad and the majority are in fact not psychopaths, whether they are british or immigrants. Its very sad that you lost a friend of yours in the London 7/7 bombings and I'm sorry about that - I was actually due to go use the London public transport system that very day, and this is by no way comparable, but I'm not removed from every position or opinion I hold.

I fully believe that the majority outweigh the needs of the minority but I don't see it as the UK population, but as a global community and these desperate refugees. I have faith in the security forces in the UK, and that we shouldn't yield to paranoia which is effectively giving in to terrorists in many ways. Paranoia and fear is no way to live, and even if we stopped anyone from coming in to this country, there is nothing to suggest we'll be safer....we instead will have just denied thousands of HUMAN BEINGS (it doesn't matter where they are from, we're all the same) a safer place to live, and actually thrive. We are very lucky to have had the enormous genetic accident of being born in the UK and we shouldn't be so protective about it, as if we were in their position, we'd do what we could to get a better and safer life.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:18 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:We are very lucky to have had the enormous genetic accident of being born in the UK and we shouldn't be so protective about it, as if we were in their position, we'd do what we could to get a better and safer life.
I wish you would stop coming out with this utterly stupid statement. It's the sort of daft stuff a sixth-former would say, shortly after saying the even more stupid, "Hey wouldn't it be great if there were no countries and borders!".

You weren't born been here by accident and this country and the freedoms we enjoy did not just appear by some massive stroke of fortune. There is no global lottery that places people at random in the world. You were born here because your parents lived here and likely because their parents lived here and so on. For most of us we were never going to be born anywhere else and we owe our "lucky" existence, our place in our society, to the fact all the people who went before us earned it for us one way or another, for good or bad, often with their own lives.

We should absolutely be protective about it. Even for the complete idiots who take our nation for granted because they have no idea where it came from and what it took to build and the price that's been paid.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:26 pm

This is what annoys me about Seph. he preaches tolerance and understanding peoples choices.

Yet himself has censored on many groups of people simply down to how they chose to live their lives. Its hypocrisy of the highest order.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:47 pm

major attack in Turkey foiled on the same day as the Paris attacks according to latest news, good news it was stopped but confirms that these backward cnuts are now set up across many major cities, lots of arrests in Belgium too.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:54 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote: backward cnuts.
THIS
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:00 pm

French aircraft have hit Raqqa:
French aircraft have carried out strikes on the Syrian city of Raqqa, a stronghold of Islamic State militants, the defence ministry says. A command post and training camp were destroyed, a statement said.
don't think they will stop anytime soon either

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:08 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote: backward cnuts
stunc?

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:13 pm

Unfortunately terrorism has and will be around for many years to come. You just have to look at fairly recent history with the attacks Spain had a few years back. The Lockerbie bombing and the troubles with the IRA just to name just a few incidents. The Middle East problems go back many many years. Yes we certainly have not helped matters at times, but the chaos these people cause even to their own people is just crazy.

You will never be able to sit these people down at a table and discuss things in a rational matter. That's been proven since 9/11 with how organised these groups have become to plan attacks on such large scales rather than just plant a single one off bomb.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:19 pm

silvergunner wrote:Unfortunately terrorism has and will be around for many years to come. You just have to look at fairly recent history with the attacks Spain had a few years back. The Lockerbie bombing and the troubles with the IRA just to name just a few incidents. The Middle East problems go back many many years. Yes we certainly have not helped matters at times, but the chaos these people cause even to their own people is just crazy.

You will never be able to sit these people down at a table and discuss things in a rational matter. That's been proven since 9/11 with how organised these groups have become to plan attacks on such large scales rather than just plant a single one off bomb.

There is one problem people who think we all need to sit down and sort it out are missing.

People get rich of terrorism.

and there are always people who need an excuse to indulge in violence.

Its a nasty combination and thats why terrorism will be around. A clever person will find a cause, attract a few ardent followers, and then the people who don't give a censored about the cause and just want to indulge in violence will soon follow.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:59 pm

If only we could get the suicide bombers to slit there wrists instead

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:09 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
markopoloman wrote:
I'm crap at Call of duty!

But no matter what you may think of the British people, a very large amount will stand up and fight for the country and our way of life. It doesn't mean we will all grab pitch forks/knives/guns and go killing people though. Why does it have to be a violent response? I'm no keyboard warrior - but more positively, I am no keyboard Liberal!
Aren't many of these terrorists "home grown"?

I think it may be better to be a keyboard liberal than a keyboard warrior! At least a keyboard liberal is standing up for their principles both behind the keyboard AND in reality! Keyboard warriors by definition talk the talk, but when it comes to it are nothing but normal human beings like the rest of us, including Syrians, Libyans, French and British.

A huge amount of Syrians "stand up and fight" - which is why you have an oppressive powerful government fighting rebels pointlessly killing each other and allowing another a more malevolent group to grow (ie Daesh/ISIL). Naturally, whenever there is a civil war, people will see there is no use fighting as it will only lead to their own death - and look for another option, ie leaving the country. This is not an unusual response, and has basically happened in all countries throughout the world. They are not cowards, they just know that they're not going to win this battle, so it would be best to find safety for both them and their families. It would be more foolish at this stage to become a Syrian rebel, especially if you have a family. I would imagine the best solution would be to escape Syria to the safety of camps, and perhaps then try to head into Europe.
Do you actually read and understand other peoples comments?
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:28 pm

The Beans wrote: I wish you would stop coming out with this utterly stupid statement. It's the sort of daft stuff a sixth-former would say, shortly after saying the even more stupid, "Hey wouldn't it be great if there were no countries and borders!".

You weren't born been here by accident and this country and the freedoms we enjoy did not just appear by some massive stroke of fortune. There is no global lottery that places people at random in the world. You were born here because your parents lived here and likely because their parents lived here and so on. For most of us we were never going to be born anywhere else and we owe our "lucky" existence, our place in our society, to the fact all the people who went before us earned it for us one way or another, for good or bad, often with their own lives.

We should absolutely be protective about it. Even for the complete idiots who take our nation for granted because they have no idea where it came from and what it took to build and the price that's been paid.
Oh oh, i'm sorry Beans for not sharing your world view and perspective. I must remember to be more like you in future.
RodimusPrime wrote:This is what annoys me about Seph. he preaches tolerance and understanding peoples choices.

Yet himself has censored on many groups of people simply down to how they chose to live their lives. Its hypocrisy of the highest order.
Wow - our friendship is over so soon?? You took your time to stick the knife in! :P Why don't we refer back to posts from 7 months ago, as thats really relevant.
markopoloman wrote: Do you actually read and understand other peoples comments?
I think so? Did I misinterpret you or something?

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:54 pm

It is relevant though, you preach love for all mankind and how the world should get along and not judge each other.

yet you can't even manage to do it on an internet forum.

What a joke.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:04 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:It is relevant though, you preach love for all mankind and how the world should get along and not judge each other.

What a joke.
Seems like an overreaction. Or are you referring to something I said 23 years ago about "how children should be seen and not heard"?

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:12 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:It is relevant though, you preach love for all mankind and how the world should get along and not judge each other.

What a joke.
Seems like an overreaction. Or are you referring to something I said 23 years ago about "how children should be seen and not heard"?

Do you deny my points or not.