Paris under attack

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

sscott

Re: Paris under attack

Post by sscott » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:27 pm

Strange the paranoia on this forum, I am apparently part of the illuminati or the forum clique, both of which don't exist. I could write mini essays as much as anyone. However, unlike others, I do not wish to debate at length with others who apparently have no regard for each other but for reasons I can't fathom communicate with each other more than I would my worst enemy. That is classed as smugness or superiority when in fact it's just maturity.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:39 pm

sscott wrote:Strange the paranoia on this forum, I am apparently part of the illuminati or the forum clique, both of which don't exist. I could write mini essays as anyone. However, unlike others, I do not wish to debate at length with others who apparently have no regard for each other but for reasons I can't fathom communicate with each other more than I would my worst enemy. That is classed as smugness or superiority when in fact it's just maturity.
Scott, I don't think (last time I checked my list of feuds!) me and Pratty are "enemies". We just had a robust debate which made some other people upset because they werent perhaps involved or were maybe expecting a trade of absuive insults, instead we were acting maturely....just like you :)

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:40 pm

sscott wrote:Strange the paranoia on this forum, I am apparently part of the illuminati or the forum clique, both of which don't exist. I could write mini essays as much as anyone. However, unlike others, I do not wish to debate at length with others who apparently have no regard for each other but for reasons I can't fathom communicate with each other more than I would my worst enemy. That is classed as smugness or superiority when in fact it's just maturity.
Post of the year ! Have an owl on me :D

www.smartambala.com/funny-kung-fu-owl/] ... .jpg[/img][/url]
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:07 pm

Mayhem wrote:
Sephiroth81 wrote:Either the USA is just a bad example and people there are nuts, or the guns are a major contributing factor. I tend to think its the latter.
too many people resort to firearms to resolve a conflict. Respect is earned, it isn't automatic.
Oh but it is automatic as that's what Americans prefer to shoot with :wink:

Bit late to the party I know, but having just got in from work I did not think this thread would have grown this quick.

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:13 am

pratty wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:I am just wondering how this turned out to be a debate on gun control in America.
That would be my fault. But forget America, the concept of armed cilivilans anywhere is hardly off topic when discussing cities under attack.
I don't think it is anyones fault, firearms were involved in the murdering of these people. So its natural that firearms control or lack of would be mentioned. However its a very divisive subject.

Regarding the main topic, unfortunately I can't think how these events can be prevented. If these groups of people's main focus in life is to cause terror by bombing, shooting etc they will find a way. Going the stage further if they are willing to take their own life in the process, what can be put in place to dissaude/stop them?

I knew Immigration would be the other linked topic, for what its worth my view has already been mentioned. Halting it wont prevent the bad people moving, but leaving immigration as it is makes it a bit easier. The fact that anyone trying to enter a country will be well scrutinised is quite possibly the intention. But with any system if it is stressed beyond its breaking point, cracks appear, the bad people will find them.

I think the more prevelant problem is that many of those going down this path are and already have been in the countries they intend to disrupt for a while. As much as I hate the press in general the notion of terror cells exists. In this day and age they don't even have to physiaclly meet each other to organise anything.

Just for the hell of it back to the Guns.... I have shot firearms including handling Semi-Automatic rifles (In a military establishment, not just over the local playing field). To be honest they scared me! the thought of using it on another Human scare sme even more. However if I was in the situation of needing to protect my family, I imagine my viewpoint could change. Would I go so far as to want to have the choice of a Gun in my house, probably not.

I feel I have to mention the US, I have worked with may guys in the states, average intelligent hard working guys. Probably only 10% did not have a gun in the house, 30-40% had more than 4 including hunting rifles. How quick they would be to use them and in what situation I cannot say. It is just hard for me to imagine looking at a gun in a similar way to a coffee maker. Although a coffee maker could do some damaged also, but I doubt the first choice for an offensive weapon.

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:42 am

pantal00ns wrote: I can't think how these events can be prevented. If these groups of people's main focus in life is to cause terror by bombing, shooting etc they will find a way. Going the stage further if they are willing to take their own life in the process, what can be put in place to dissaude/stop them?
I think this is the reality of it. The idea of complete safety is a bit of a myth, it feels possible when nothing bad is happening, but the majority people are extremely vulnerable whether they realise it or not. Of course we have to try with preventative and responsive solutions but whatever we do will only serve to minimalise the chances of terroristic atrocities, I don't think we can stamp it out for good. No matter how bad IS is, even if we did manage to wipe them out you know somebody somewhere will see them as the victims and the West as the villains and it starts all over again. Expecting world peace with 8 billion of us or whatever it is just seems like wishful thinking.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:49 am

Got this email just now. Welp.

I'll still be going, but in the back of my mind there'll still be trepidation, even though reason tells me there's probably nowt to worry over. It's funny how perfectly helpful and informative statements can still foster doubt.
Last edited by Sel Feena on Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:55 am

Thing is, has America been targeted after 9/11? What about Russia?

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:08 am

DPrinny wrote:Thing is, has America been targeted after 9/11? What about Russia?
Yes. Both have.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:21 am

They're both a long way from home though. Paris is just a train ride away.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:33 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
DPrinny wrote:Thing is, has America been targeted after 9/11? What about Russia?
Yes. Both have.
Nothing been in the news about them over there recently

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:39 am

DPrinny wrote:
Nothing been in the news about them over there recently
Really? Islamic State put a bomb on a russian passenger jet just a few weeks ago, killing all the 220+ russian citizens on board. Turkey also suffered an enormous explosion at a rally very recently killing over 100, ISIL claiming responsibility for both.

The Boston Marathon bombing was the most recent US one, as well as a beheading, and other smaller attacks within the USA. Then of course there have been plenty of other terrorist attacks that were not by islamic extremists, so don't get reported as "terrorism" despite fitting the definition (just perhaps the not fitting the mainstream medias agenda).

If we believe what the security agencies tell us, quite a fair few attacks have been foiled (in the US and of course over here as well).

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:46 am

But in saying that America is its own enemy, shootings and that

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:25 pm

DPrinny wrote: But in saying that America is its own enemy, shootings and that
Yep, they are definitely more likely to shoot each other than be harmed in any kind of islamic terrorist attack on their own soil (although it does happen rarely, but not in a 10,000 per year plus, kind of way)

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:42 pm

disgraceful scenes from the Turkey v Greece game last night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt9bMYcmUFg