Have forums had their day?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

David

Re: Have forums had their day?

Post by David » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:18 pm

Katzkatz wrote:
David wrote:and spelling off as of, where as were, aargh drives me mental
Doez ya spk Inglsh Davd? Txt spk. The ban of the modern English language! :lol: :D
think I mentioned this before, in my last job someone sent in a CV and job application. written. like that

"I am never L8". etc

unreal

playzooki

Post by playzooki » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:43 am

i prefer forums because its free from the bs seen on social media

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:14 am

Forums work better that facebook etc. if you want a conversation on a certain topic. I've never seen a facebook thread that actually stayed on topic for more than three posts. At least we try that here...

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:47 am

I'd say no, I have never/or never will use Twitter, Facewank, Instagram or whatever social media craze at the moment.. My friend showed me some gaming pages on Facebook as he couldn't believe how sad and pathetic the comments where.. Such as "I like the green 1 on Street Fighter as I do electric and beat every1" sic. Either that or wanna be Del Trotters trying to get old games for peanuts so they can sell on EBay..

I doubt you'd get the arguments in Facewank as don't they force you to use your real name and a profile picture?
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:44 am

Exactly, i think theres a lot less arguments on Facebook as people can see who it is, its a 'real person' not someone with a nickname and a hotmail email address etc

Again i wouldnt knock Facebook/twitter, if you follow an idiot who posts crap just block/delete them. Think people with 500 'friends' are a bit OTT, i tend to keep it to much smaller numbers, people i've met/family etc.

Twitter i think is great, bit like teletext, up to the date news on whatever youre interested in. Again if someone starts posting rubbish about their daily meals just block

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:50 am

Shinobi wrote:I doubt you'd get the arguments in Facewank as don't they force you to use your real name and a profile picture?
No, they don't. You can easily create a Facebook page using any old address and call it whatever you want, hence the number of fake celebrities etc on there.

My favourite was God. Not sure if he's still on there, but he'd give hilarious responses to the trolls trying to denounce him.

Forums are very much still alive for anything that wants/needs detailed discussion. As mentioned earlier, I use some for help on Excel VBA coding and the like. Social media can't replace forums as a knowledge repository for tips, workrounds and general advice on anything but a cursory level.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:55 am

But the facebook groups i'm in for retro gaming, everyone seems to get on well, the creator of the group can delete/block anyone easily. They just seem quite active, theres other retro forums i glance at and theyre dead as a dodo. If it wasnt on facebook more people might try it out but because its the dreaded 'F' word some people seem to sadly avoid it

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:16 am

psj3809 wrote:But the facebook groups i'm in for retro gaming, everyone seems to get on well, the creator of the group can delete/block anyone easily. They just seem quite active, theres other retro forums i glance at and theyre dead as a dodo. If it wasnt on facebook more people might try it out but because its the dreaded 'F' word some people seem to sadly avoid it
I think I'm in one of the FB retro groups that you are in. It is all good debate and such. Very happy with it. :D
Last edited by gman72 on Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:19 am

Megamixer wrote:On the gaming front, Eurogamer is still extremely active.
I've just joined up to the Eurogamer forum, it is much more active than here, I've yet to see if I get a better vibe from there than I've been getting from here lately.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:09 pm

This Forum is one of the few that has not been blocked when I am at work so I tend to spend a lot of time on it.

merman

Post by merman » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:19 pm

There are good and bad forums.

There are good and bad things about social media.

It's how about how you use them and most importantly how you CONTRIBUTE to them.

In the last year I have joined a couple of forums and several Facebook groups related to my health problems. Sharing support and experiences can be a very positive thing.

So, no, I don't think forums have had their day - but it's up to the people to take part.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:56 pm

gman72 wrote:
Megamixer wrote:On the gaming front, Eurogamer is still extremely active.
I've just joined up to the Eurogamer forum, it is much more active than here, I've yet to see if I get a better vibe from there than I've been getting from here lately.
I was on there regularly several years ago (as 'neonemesis') but I haven't been back for years and I don't think my account works anymore. There's a lot less moderation over there though! The off-topic threads and epic 50 page arguments with swearing/slagging off's in the gaming sections were insane back in the day.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:00 pm

Does seem to be a real lack of new posters of late, which is a shame. I've always avoided fights and arguments wherever possible and so have never had a problem, but can see how it would put a lot of newer people off

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:28 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Shinobi wrote:I doubt you'd get the arguments in Facewank as don't they force you to use your real name and a profile picture?
No, they don't. You can easily create a Facebook page using any old address and call it whatever you want, hence the number of fake celebrities etc on there.

My favourite was God. Not sure if he's still on there, but he'd give hilarious responses to the trolls trying to denounce him.

Forums are very much still alive for anything that wants/needs detailed discussion. As mentioned earlier, I use some for help on Excel VBA coding and the like. Social media can't replace forums as a knowledge repository for tips, workrounds and general advice on anything but a cursory level.
That's hilarious, do you happen to have a link to God on Facebook? I've never used Facebook but On our local Newspaper forum people have been calling for sign up via Facebook only as allegedly you can only register real names on Facebook...

Didn't we have some God type on RG in the past?
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:12 am

10 year anniversary for the forum soon, pretty amazing really! Any current popular forums that are older?