Return to Oz

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

David

Return to Oz

Post by David » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:31 pm

put this on for my girls earlier (3 & 6) and they are terrified!!

I LOVED this film when I was their age but watching it now it is a bit creepy for a kids film. bloody wheelers.

the witch screaming "Dorothy Gaaaaaaaale" with no head was the final straw for them :)

thingonaspring

Re: Return to Oz

Post by thingonaspring » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:33 pm

Hahaha - as discussed before, mine are a little older, and I put it on last weekend, because I noticed it had come on NetFlix. Given my 7 year old found the robotic Postman Pat in the movie a bit scary, I wasn't sure what to expect. They both really loved it, they were a bit scared of the Wheelers, but I think they had forgotten about them by the end!

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:45 pm

Good film that's under rated in my mind.

It's amazing how a lot of films for kids back then are quite dark compared to today when you watch them back.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:59 am

That film is demented.

Honestly, American McGee's Alice has nothing on it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:50 am

I read all the Oz books when I was younger so it made perfect sense to me.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:55 am

I only had experience of the old musical movie, so hated this sequel. Too old for it I think, as most of the character designs seemed too childish for my taste. Looking at stills now, it still seems that way. Maybe a logical choice if its all in the head of some mental kid, but I wasn't considering that in the past. I just thought of it as a terrible sequel that lost the charm of the old movie we watched every other year at Christmas (since we alternated between that and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, where I only like the car flying bits and the rest bored me).

Maybe one to set fresh eyes on with a new perspective.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:26 am

i remember liking it as a kid. It was a bit steampunk, a bit Krull as I remember (havent seen it in decades).
The Artist Formerly Known as Timothy Lumsden...

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:22 pm

Don't forget that it's a PG rather a U. So - that's one of the things that makes it darker. Yeah - the stuff with head is a bit creepy. I've only watched it once - and that was ages - so my memory of it is a little foggy.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:09 pm

silvergunner wrote:Good film that's under rated in my mind.

It's amazing how a lot of films for kids back then are quite dark compared to today when you watch them back.
When I was a kid I was severely creeped out by a TV series called Children Of The Stones. I was pretty young when I watched it so it's probably not as "dark" as I remember it but me and my mates were absolutely glued to it. It really scared me at the time and I've often wondered what kids today would make of it. Some of the episodes of Sapphire And Steel were pretty creepy too.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:27 pm

The Beans wrote:
silvergunner wrote:Good film that's under rated in my mind.

When I was a kid I was severely creeped out by a TV series called Children Of The Stones. I was pretty young when I watched it so it's probably not as "dark" as I remember it but me and my mates were absolutely glued to it. It really scared me at the time and I've often wondered what kids today would make of it. Some of the episodes of Sapphire And Steel were pretty creepy too.
Stones is a really good kids tv series , got it on DVD. Clifton House Mystery is another spooky kids programme from back in the day. They don't make them like that any more!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:17 am

Actually the return to Oz is bloody freaky, its like a kiddy version of Slient hill at times

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:20 am

I remeber renting this when I was a kid and was petrified! The wheelers freaked me out no end, but all those heads in the glass cases scared the s*** out of me.

Watched it back a few years ago and I still found it incredibly creepy.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81