It's xmaaaaaaaaaaaas! (well, soon-ish)

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

joefish

Re: It's xmaaaaaaaaaaaas! (well, soon-ish)

Post by joefish » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:09 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:Most christmas music is pretty crap though - the only half decent one is "Don't let the Bells end" by The Darkness, and thats mainly for the amusing title.
Not to mention the 'Ring in Peace" bit... :lol:

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:03 am

I quite like alot of the Christmas music tracks. Wizzard and Slade particularly. But even Christmas is no excuse for subjecting people to Mariah Carey. And the hijacking of the Christmas music chart by TCC* is surely worthy of a prison sentence by now...

One I wanted to track down is Darlene Love's 'Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)', which is the opening track from Gremlins. For some reason it never seems to appear on the usual Christmas albums. So I've just ordered the remastered Phil Spector CD of Christmas songs for maybe a bit of quality this year.

*That C*** Cowell, to borrow an expression from her majesty's jolly serving sailors

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:53 am

Liamh1982 wrote:
Elgin_McQueen wrote:Last? I've not even started!
Judging by your avatar, it's always Christmas when you post! :lol:
Ha, I know. I blame whomever decided to convince everyone a few years ago to change all their avatars to Christmas ones, think SirClive pushed me to do it too, could just never be bothered to change it back.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:20 pm

Ive noticed too that the classic songs are being covered by lame acts like the TOWIE cast and these are being used on albums instead of the original. i found the original "best christmas album ever" on cassette recently, compared to the cd re re re release its magical. The cds are all filler these days, even utilising songs that were in the charts christmas week but not about christmas are included. Pet shop boys, its a sin was a christmas number 1, does it make me feel christnassy? Not in the slightest.

The christmas channel movies are awful though, only a few decent ones - a hobos christmas and the night they saved christmas - are bearable.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:44 pm

offensive christmas songs are the best :D

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:26 pm

The ones that won't say on the pack who they're recorded by are the worst.

Recently, I've noticed all the music played in Morrisons are popular songs, things like Blues Brothers and the odd Disney song that charted at some point, but they're so obviously not the recordings by the original or popular performers. Some of them are quite excruciating to hear.

A few years ago, someone at work had a CD of Sci-Fi themes (no songs, just music) but recorded by what sounded like a few cheap synths in a 70s light disco / lounge style. The Star Wars 'Main Theme' and 'Cantina Band' tracks were diabolical and hilarious in equal measure.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:23 pm

joefish wrote:
Sephiroth81 wrote:Most christmas music is pretty crap though - the only half decent one is "Don't let the Bells end" by The Darkness, and thats mainly for the amusing title.
Not to mention the 'Ring in Peace" bit... :lol:
Whenever I hear that song, the chorus in my head becomes "Chriiiiistmaaaas time! Don't be a bell-end!"

:lol:

Such wit.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

PAC

Post by PAC » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:35 pm

November 6.

The season starts here for us.

- Joefish.. you won't regret your purchase. Greatest Christmas Song Ever and as Christmas Long Players go.. Spector's is an evergreen Top 5 entry !

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:16 pm

joefish wrote: A few years ago, someone at work had a CD of Sci-Fi themes (no songs, just music) but recorded by what sounded like a few cheap synths in a 70s light disco / lounge style. The Star Wars 'Main Theme' and 'Cantina Band' tracks were diabolical and hilarious in equal measure.
Oh man, I love that sort of stuff. It's musical comedy. So bad that it's unintentionally good. About ten years ago there was a small bookshop in my town and I think the owner must have been a bit of a keyboard player or something. As you browsed the paperbacks you were treated to absolutely excruciating versions of all sorts of stuff that was presented in a sort of chirpy elevator music style complete with the most amazing panpipe solo freak-outs. His version of Ebeneezer Goode had me on my knees between two rows of books. I was laughing silently so hard I thought my bladder was going to go. The man was a total genius, just probably not in the way he thought he was.

In the same vein, I've found Iron Maiden covers albums to be equally amusing. There's always at least one band from lithuania or somewhere who've apparently only ever heard Europe's The Final Countdown and then deciided to do a Maiden cover, with a singer who sounds mexican.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:57 pm

The Beans wrote:
joefish wrote: A few years ago, someone at work had a CD of Sci-Fi themes (no songs, just music) but recorded by what sounded like a few cheap synths in a 70s light disco / lounge style. The Star Wars 'Main Theme' and 'Cantina Band' tracks were diabolical and hilarious in equal measure.
Oh man, I love that sort of stuff. It's musical comedy. So bad that it's unintentionally good. About ten years ago there was a small bookshop in my town and I think the owner must have been a bit of a keyboard player or something. As you browsed the paperbacks you were treated to absolutely excruciating versions of all sorts of stuff that was presented in a sort of chirpy elevator music style complete with the most amazing panpipe solo freak-outs. His version of Ebeneezer Goode had me on my knees between two rows of books. I was laughing silently so hard I thought my bladder was going to go. The man was a total genius, just probably not in the way he thought he was.

In the same vein, I've found Iron Maiden covers albums to be equally amusing. There's always at least one band from lithuania or somewhere who've apparently only ever heard Europe's The Final Countdown and then deciided to do a Maiden cover, with a singer who sounds mexican.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o2ufv_c0xI

i'll leave this here

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:53 pm

flatapex wrote:
The Beans wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o2ufv_c0xI

i'll leave this here
:shock: wow just wow :shock:

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:14 am

:lol:

We should be looking for the worst ever cover of a christmas song. There must be some dire stuff out there somewhere. And then get it to number one for christmas.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:57 am

http://youtu.be/8s_TBiiDOag

Not a cover but a spoof maybe.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:11 pm

you can keep your darkness........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBmFuySb_Qw

it sounds like most rg members christmas memories :

for worst, i present to you mark gormley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFChudxs1c8

check out his solo stuff, its erm......special :D he reminds me of the stapler guy from office space

Spector

Post by Spector » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:47 am

joefish wrote: One I wanted to track down is Darlene Love's 'Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)', which is the opening track from Gremlins. For some reason it never seems to appear on the usual Christmas albums. So I've just ordered the remastered Phil Spector CD of Christmas songs for maybe a bit of quality this year
Winter Wonderland is so huge it heaves with sound, and the "Silent Night" coda at the end of the album is quite shiver-inducing. One of the best albums ever without any doubt. I enjoyed making it! :mrgreen:
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)