It's xmaaaaaaaaaaaas! (well, soon-ish)

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

rocky1980

Re: It's xmaaaaaaaaaaaas! (well, soon-ish)

Post by rocky1980 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:33 am

Apparently Christmas day is now just about the most popular shopping day of the year now the Internet rules, but sad really.
Sadly I have sen evidence of this first hand You should keep an eye on eBay on Christmas day also. The amount of unwanted gifts that are listed is ridiculous.

The thing that really gets me is the over hype. Every years its this massive buildup to this one day. Then when that day finally hits, I have found myself asking “is this it” all this hype for this. I see a lot of adults trying to recapture / buy some the magic they felt when they were children. Luckily in my case I will get to see that again as my kids get older just a few more years and they will be so hyper and they will get to experience the magic we all felt as children.
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

ALK

Post by ALK » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:56 pm

Doesn't seem like I'll be working at Royal Mail this Xmas. Did try for Part Time but that went nowhere. I could have gone Full Time like the last 2 Decembers but while the money I earned was great, it was just the defeated feeling of working most of a time of year I still happen to enjoy 6 nights a week and then soon as it ended, nothing. No offers of permanent work, other employer's not taking a blind bit of notice afterwards, zilch. So this year at least, I'm just going to enjoy the "season to be jolly" and maybe apply next year, so I'm actually looking forward to Xmas this year at least.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:28 pm

Well I'll be looking forward to having Friday off from work and a reduced hours Boxing Day shift on the Saturday :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

David

Post by David » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:30 pm

just found out today that I am working on boxing day :(

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:38 pm

David wrote:just found out today that I am working on boxing day :(
I feel your pain mate! Though in my case it will only be 9am-2pm but even so! It's crap when you have Christmas day off and the family stuff continues on Boxing Day while you're stuck at work.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:17 pm

This'll be the first Christmas in about 5 years where I have a solid week off. I'll be off around the 22nd of December and back on New Year's Eve. Management has it's perks :oops:

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:51 pm

This'll be the first Christmas in about 5 years where I have a solid week off. I'll be off around the 22nd of December and back on New Year's Eve. Management has it's perks :oops:
WOW I have never ever had this since I started working back in 1994.

I was informed today that it will be 3 day weeks Christmas and New Year this year at my work. I have asked for some extra holidays also so I might get a 4 or even 5 days off at Christmas :D
Rocky

Image Image

David

Post by David » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:07 am

boxing day is only day I am in from 23 Dec till 05 Jan

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:51 am

rocky1980 wrote: The thing that really gets me is the over hype. Every years its this massive buildup to this one day. Then when that day finally hits, I have found myself asking “is this it” all this hype for this. I see a lot of adults trying to recapture / buy some the magic they felt when they were children. Luckily in my case I will get to see that again as my kids get older just a few more years and they will be so hyper and they will get to experience the magic we all felt as children.
It's the hype I enjoy, more than the day itself. The build up with the music, tv shows, taking my son to meet Santa etc is amazing, the day itself is over before I know it.

My little one will be 3 and a half this Christmas, so he really knows what's going on now, and that's my Christmas present. Seeing him open all his toys and going crazy with his new stuff and really enjoying the whole Christmas experience is the best.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

David

Post by David » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:12 am

I agree the hype and build up is best for me

a whole month of Xmas music, tv, shops full of xnas stuff, the place is just generally happier

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:16 am

My little one will be 3 and a half this Christmas, so he really knows what's going on now, and that's my Christmas present. Seeing him open all his toys and going crazy with his new stuff and really enjoying the whole Christmas experience is the best.
Thats what I am really looking forward to with my oldest, however he is only 2 1/2 so another year to go.

I have had it confirmed that I will be finishing up 4pm on the 24th and not back until Tuesday 29th. So this will be the most time away from a workplace for myself since 1993 !!!!
Rocky

Image Image

playzooki

Post by playzooki » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:31 pm

David wrote:I agree the hype and build up is best for me

a whole month of Xmas music, tv, shops full of xnas stuff, the place is just generally happier
it ruins december for me and puts me in a much worse mood. especially xmas music, strange how a lot of "happy" music makes me feel much worse.

Spector

Post by Spector » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:51 pm

David wrote:I agree the hype and build up is best for me

I just realised there's a channel on youview (82) called True Christmas which just shows Christmas movies all day every day, so there you go, David!!
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

David

Post by David » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:20 pm

fantastic.

checking the music channels for the Xmas stuff but nothing yet :(

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:06 am

i finish at 5pm on the 22nd, going back on the 4th jan.

sorry