Lets talk about vinyl

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

silvergunner

Re: Lets talk about vinyl

Post by silvergunner » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:08 pm

My copy of the outrun soundtrack by Datadiscs turned up at work today. Already gave it a spin before I got home and can say it sounds great :D

Just got to wait for Panzer Dragoon to go up for preorder now.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:32 pm

For anyone interested, Data Discs next soundtrack goes up for sale this Saturday. It's for the mighty Golden Axe 1 and 2

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:23 pm

Been a while but thought it time to post about a couple of my newer purchases.

First up is two albums by the Russian band Kauan. The could be described as a post rock band but they use so many influences it is hard to pigeon hole them.

The first album is Sorni Nai. Its a 52 minute single track about the Dyatlov Pass incident. For anybody who wants to read about it the Wiki page is quite a good start. Its about the mysterious deaths of nine ski hikers and their unexplained deaths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident

I myself have now read quite a lot about this sad but interesting bit of history, and this just makes the impact of the album even bigger each time i listen to it. especially with the start being howling winds and the crunching of snow.

The cover and vinyl colour match the theme of the album very well and show a lot of thought.

The next album of theirs is Pirut. The cover was inspired by the meteor strike in Russia as it actually delayed the album.

And finally my copy of the Golden Axe I and II soundtrack by Datadiscs.

Great Artwork. Audio is fantastic but colour scheme for the limited edition is not brill but its whats on it that matters.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:59 pm

Data discs Panzer Dragoon soundtrack turned up today. The audio quality is fantastic.

I really should play the games again as it's been a while and the music is bringing plenty of memories back.

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:56 pm

Massive Beach Boys fan; and just arrived in the post is their 50th Anniversary re-release of Good Vibrations on 12" orange vinyl with a copy of the Japanese insert. Still shrink-wrapped, not sure if I should keep it that way - I wanna good look at it!

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:04 am

Open it and enjoy it. It's like buying a sealed game and never using it.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:21 pm

Some pics of a late arriving christmas present off the wife.

First is a fantastic synthwave album "The Wrath Of Code" by Dan Terminus. Excellent artwork by Luca F Carey adds perfectly to the space/sci-fi sound of this epic record.

Full album can be listened to here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjrKrvF7JDA

The second album is one hitting a high position in critics album of the year lists. The album is "Air" by Astronoid. If you like The sound of the Devin Townsend Project or are into metal/thrash you will most likely love this. Very atmospheric at times.

Full album can be listened to here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0css1kqM0Y

The third album is "Infinite Fields" by Irreversible Mechanism. Stonking technical death metal band that deserves to be heard at least once.

Full album can be heard here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tQ4Eg9pjTU

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:53 am

I'm feeling quite ambivalent about vinyl. I have a handful of charity shop finds that I occasionally get to listen to on my GF's stereo and I keep thinking about getting my own record player but then I start thinking about how easy and convenient CDs are and what a money pit vinyl is. These are the records I have:

Ghostbusters Soundtrack Album
Bobby Brown, On Our Own (12" single from the Ghostbusters II soundtrack)
George Michael, Faith (LP)
George Michael, Kissing a Fool (12" single)

I recently bought the new vinyl magazine that came out (Long Live Vinyl) and it's an interesting read with articles about David Bowie's vast back catalogue and the indie stores in Brighton that put their local HMV out of business:
http://www.musictech.net/2016/11/long-live-vinyl/

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:49 am

English Invader wrote:I'm feeling quite ambivalent about vinyl. I have a handful of charity shop finds that I occasionally get to listen to on my GF's stereo and I keep thinking about getting my own record player but then I start thinking about how easy and convenient CDs are and what a money pit vinyl is. These are the records I have:

I recently bought the new vinyl magazine that came out (Long Live Vinyl) and it's an interesting read with articles about David Bowie's vast back catalogue and the indie stores in Brighton that put their local HMV out of business:
It can be a expensive hobby if you want to buy everything going.

Second hand stuff can still be in excellent condition and cheap. Some good dealers on eBay and discogs as well as any local stores.

Also you can get a cheap set up to get going but I would recommend spending just a little bit more that is going to sound way better giving you more enjoyment. Buy saying a cheap crossley turntable from HMV etc... Is not going to do the records or your ears any good.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:52 pm

English Invader wrote: I recently bought the new vinyl magazine that came out (Long Live Vinyl) and it's an interesting read with articles about David Bowie's vast back catalogue and the indie stores in Brighton that put their local HMV out of business:
I'm a long-time subscriber to Record Collector mag, the original vinyl bible... always worth a look if you're interested in records.

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:53 pm

*WISE*
Just picked up the 3 disc reissue of Ok Computer. A stunning package befitting a stunning album.
Going Solo...................

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:57 pm

I have recently started getting records - mainly because of Data Discs fantastic work on old SEGA games. Also go the Terminator 2 soundtrack.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:57 am

I managed to get one of the 2000 gold vinyls of suede that was released for hmvs record store day. Quite p,eased with that :)

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:55 am

Ive been buying the recent represses of the Beatles Albums which are being sold bi weekly as a collectors series.
Ive got a few on original vinyl but now collecting the set , i think im up to week 8 or 9 now .
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:24 pm

English Invader wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:53 am
I'm feeling quite ambivalent about vinyl. I have a handful of charity shop finds that I occasionally get to listen to on my GF's stereo and I keep thinking about getting my own record player but then I start thinking about how easy and convenient CDs are and what a money pit vinyl is. These are the records I have:

This situation has changed quite a bit. I've had my own TT since 30/12/17 and my record collection has increased tenfold. I tend to buy a mixture of new and used. One thing I've found is that I've had a lot less problems (skipping, degraded audio) with used records bought in store than from places like eBay and Discogs; for store bought records, the ratio is about 1:5 while for internet bought records that ratio goes up to at least 3:5.

In my area, I have about 5 different places where I can buy new and used records (excluding HMV and charity shops with unorganised tubs of James Lasts and Barbra Streisands) and it's nice to have a hobby that keeps me on the high street. A couple of neat finds recently:

Chas and Dave, Hot Shot Tottenham (12" single) - done for the 1987 FA Cup Final and signed by the legendary 86/87 Tottenham team; we lost that final to Coventry City and didn't win anything that season but it was still one hell of a team with Clive Allen scoring 49 goals as a lone striker. The B side is a revamped version of Ossie's Dream which was our song for the 81 Cup Final. Absolute bargain for £2.

Jim Steinman, Bad for Good - this album was originally done for Meatloaf but ML had problems with his voice at the time so JS did it himself. Got it for £1 and it came with a bonus 7" single disc. The music is also pretty good as well.