Lets talk about vinyl

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Lets talk about vinyl

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:14 pm

Great that you've kept them from your youth. I through all my stuff in a skip.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:16 pm

I specifically collect Iron Maiden vinyl (Who would have thought it)

Managed to collect all the albums and most of the singles apart from some of the 90's ones, they are a tad expensive (Fear Of The Dark, The X Factor and Virtual 11)

Started my collection in 2001 and was picked them up for around £5 an album at local markets and charity shops, prices now are horrifically expensive, Brave New World and Rock In Rio which were my first "New" vinyl purchase go for £80+ amongst collectors.

I don't have a record player and have never played them, but I like to collect them and seeing the artwork in the proper designed format, not some small CD scan.

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:26 pm

There's too much text in here and not enough pics!
Obscure, rare, interesting or even crap! :D

Here's one for starters.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:50 am

I have never got rid of my records from when I was a kid. My collection started with me buying iron maidens killers at the age of 9. Still plays great to this day.

I have in the lat few years stepped up my vinyl purchasing to the massive increase in quality. 90% of my purchases at the moment come from a small finish label called blood music who print very rare or never realeased professionally albums.

The only pitfall is they make very small runs as the label is run entirely by one person :shock:

Among the treats to arrive I am awaiting Japanese black metal outfit Sighs new album graveward to arrive.

And the colour is a marble colour not black if you were thinking it was a trick of the light.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:31 am

Also later on I'm expecting to delivery of a album by synth artist Gost with the album Behemoth.

If you like your horror tunes you will probably like this. The following link is for one of the more rocking tunes.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rso-kMjoBM

The following photo is of the test version for quality control reasons. It's glow in the dark :twisted:

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:43 am

A few of My most extravagant purchases...
Smashing pumpkins was a treat from my wife. It's wildly consistent as a record but does have some amazing tracks on it.

Suede are my favourite group, so I pretty much foolishly Hoover up anything they release :p

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:47 am

I don't collect, but I know people who do and it has its ups and downs.

On the plus side, I really like just sitting around listening to their collections. It isn't something we do with CDs, but with records music seems like more of an event, you know? You can put the disc on and just sit and listen while scanning the amazing cover art.

On the down side, we tend to spend just as much time in dusty old record shops or scouring charity shops. It depends on the charity shop, but a lot have actual vinyl sections now. For example the YMCA shop in Dudley has a huge selection. Most of it is super cheesy though.

Also in Birmingham there's The Diskery. I really wish I could find a store like that for video games. I suppose the closest I get is The Kart Club in Aldershot, but half of that was videos last time I was there :(

The only record I've ever bought was a copy of The Simpsons Sing the Blues I found in a charity shop :lol:

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:03 am

I got rid of all my vinyl, a few years back, I have collected a few things since, the Beady Eye 7" ltd singles, got the Beady Eye LP signed by the band, also started collecting the Pixie EPs (3000 made of each) recently, then found the gits were putting all EPs out on one album afterwards, so felt a bit cheated there. Wonder Stuff did the same, 500 copies of several 7s", then put all of the collectively out on a CD. Other thing I have been buying is the Kim Deal Solo series (white label 1000 of each made) and Noel Gallaghers recent ltd ed vinyls.

So all in all a bit of a sucker for these limited edition, chances are most vinyls only get small runs anyway, but they are tucked away in a box should I ever actually play the things, haha.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

playzooki

Post by playzooki » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:43 am

Not too bothered about vinyl vs cd, i just buy whats cheapest :D
I have a few vinyls, rarely shop online so nothing rare.

merman

Post by merman » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:25 am

Over recent years I have bought some vinyl.

These have been mostly limited edition versions of new albums/singles from bands I like. Most of them came with a download code for the MP3s, so I have access to them on the move too.

As for the sound - there is a lot of richness in vinyl that you don't always get from digital. But then, you do need to spend money on decent equipment to get the best out of it.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:55 pm

theantmeister wrote:
Also in Birmingham there's The Diskery. I really wish I could find a store like that for video games.
Diskery is a great shop been going in there for years.Picked up a minty pink floyd dark side of the moon for a fiver a couple of years ago. Turns out it was a rare original release that had the solid blue triangle on the label.Stuck it on eBay sold for £260 quid.Swordfish records is decent on Birmingham too.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:12 pm

Everyone's got a copy of this right?

And a 10 incher!Image

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:26 pm

stvd wrote:Everyone's got a copy of this right?

And a 10 incher!Image
Holy sh1t! Did you break into my house to take them pics????
Going Solo...................

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:32 pm

War of the worlds is on my to buy list.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:58 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:A few of My most extravagant purchases...
Smashing pumpkins was a treat from my wife. It's wildly consistent as a record but does have some amazing tracks on it.

Suede are my favourite group, so I pretty much foolishly Hoover up anything they release :p
Siamese dream is the pumpkins best album for sure, but 1979 is a special song for me. as for rare pumpkins vinyl, if I remember rightly they only made 25 prints of Machina 2 on vinyl (you can download the mp3's for free). got some great tracks on it too, and is a much better album than machina/machines of god.