Lets talk about vinyl

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

djcarlos

Re: Lets talk about vinyl

Post by djcarlos » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:35 am

Danny Elfman's "Charlie & The Chocolate Factory" score on pink ice-cream coloured vinyl.

"Army Of Darkness" score.

Nina Simone's "Little Girl Blue Remixed" (on blue vinyl, obviously).

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:31 am

Sounds like everyone got cool stuff :)

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:44 am

I remember picking up War Of The Worlds and Duran Duran Rio from a boot sale a few years ago for a quid each. Mint condition I might add. Also remember getting ELO Secret Messages as well, with the for radio purposes only stamp on too, but that was from a charity shop. Got loads more too
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:15 am

i would love a vynal player but living in a poorly sound insultaed flat i wouldnt realy get to enjoy a decent set up without complains so unti; i get moved to a house its a no go but when i can get ahouse i'm thinking of geting some hi fi seprates sorted even if just for some of the classic motwont stuff or a bitg of pink flloyd or something like that i used to have a few tear for fears vyninals but since I couldnt see my self in a situation to get aplayer had to let them go but i do have a rather big cd collection and at one point had a rather large cassette collection as well
This guy are sick

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:15 pm

Only got Fear Factory's Genexus on vinyl for Christmas as family gave me money towards getting a new turntable.

In the end I plumped for a project debut carbon in gloss red.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:53 am

I have decided for 2016 that all the music I will buy shall be on Vinyl, mainly because Amazon do that Auto-rip service, so I still get a digital copy and also it feels like I am getting more for my money.

Got a few albums on pre-order, shall post up some nice pictures when they arrive, but has anybody got any good suggestions for a beginners record player??

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:21 am

IronMaidenRule wrote:I have decided for 2016 that all the music I will buy shall be on Vinyl, mainly because Amazon do that Auto-rip service, so I still get a digital copy and also it feels like I am getting more for my money.

Got a few albums on pre-order, shall post up some nice pictures when they arrive, but has anybody got any good suggestions for a beginners record player??
Don't bother with anything under £100 as it will be a waste.

Sony pslx300 for about £119 is ok for a budget unit giving you a USB connection for recording to a PC.

If you want something that's sounds better. A project elemental for about £159 is fantastic.

Or I have got a project debut 2 for sale as I have just upgraded to a new project carbon.

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:31 am

silvergunner wrote:
IronMaidenRule wrote:I have decided for 2016 that all the music I will buy shall be on Vinyl, mainly because Amazon do that Auto-rip service, so I still get a digital copy and also it feels like I am getting more for my money.

Sony pslx300 for about £119 is ok for a budget unit giving you a USB connection for recording to a PC.

If you want something that's sounds better. A project elemental for about £159 is fantastic.

Or I have got a project debut 2 for sale as I have just upgraded to a new project carbon.
And I would advocate the virtues of direct drive over belt drive
Going Solo...................

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:30 am

Technics are about to re-launch the SL1200.

Only four grand each :lol:

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:42 am

The Hardest of All Freds wrote:
silvergunner wrote:

And I would advocate the virtues of direct drive over belt drive
Both systems have their plus points. I have always prefered belt drive over direct, but I'm not a DJ. The technics are the only none belt drive systems I would own. Unfortunately spares are drying up and getting more expensive and the new model is out of my budget range.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:12 pm

silvergunner wrote:

Thanks for the info, that Sony one looks perfect, thinking I might pick one up for my birthday in April.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:11 pm

Thought I would upload a few of my pickups from last years Record Store Day

The cassette tape is a remake of the original Metallica "No Life Till Leather" demo, that was passed around during the tape trade scene.

And I think the 12" Vinyl Single was an American Record Store Day item that I picked up from Record Collector in Sheffield, has a nice etching on the back....did realise it was so dusty :(

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:55 am

Some Vinyl pick-ups for this week, firstly 2013's Megadeth album Super Collider complete with bonus 7" featuring two songs.

And Megadeths new album that came out on Friday...beautiful cover:

William S

Post by William S » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:41 pm

IronMaidenRule wrote:Thought I would upload a few of my pickups from last years Record Store Day

The cassette tape is a remake of the original Metallica "No Life Till Leather" demo, that was passed around during the tape trade scene.

And I think the 12" Vinyl Single was an American Record Store Day item that I picked up from Record Collector in Sheffield, has a nice etching on the back....did realise it was so dusty :(

Wow, I can't believe I missed that No Life Till Leather re-release! That's a must-have, even though I have an original copy.
That's the back of the Lords Of Summer 12", right? I haven't opened mine yet.
ImageImageImage

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:58 pm

William S wrote: Wow, I can't believe I missed that No Life Till Leather re-release! That's a must-have, even though I have an original copy.
That's the back of the Lords Of Summer 12", right? I haven't opened mine yet.
It is indeed Side B to Lords of Summer 12", haven't got anything to play my vinyl on yet, but I love opening them up and soaking it all in.

Really cool that you have an original No Life Till Leather, the re-release was the only thing that took my fancy from RSD 2015, luckily Record Collector in Sheffield didn't let me down and still had a few in the afternoon.