Lets talk about vinyl

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

William S

Re: Lets talk about vinyl

Post by William S » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:02 am

I'm getting the Metallica releases. Those Kill 'em All and Ride The Lightning box sets are epic!
ImageImageImage

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:57 pm

I've got The Rolling Stones original pressing of their "Sticky Fingers" album. The one with the jeans' zipper front case. It was my Dad's. I'll see if I can post up a picture of it.

I've also got The Beatles "For Sale" and "Magical Mystery Tour" albums. Both originals and had belonged to my Dad. With the "Magical Mystery Tour" there is a little booklet that you got with it.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:13 pm

IS the Record Store Day stuff mostly just collectors stuff? A lot (at a very quick glance) seems to be just silly money for something to look at, is there actually much new music released for it? Tons of versions of the same record with tiny variations like record colour would drive me nuts if I did completionist collecting, fortunately I'm not bothered about it.

William S

Post by William S » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:16 pm

I know there's been some new music released on Record Store Day, but my general impression is that it's mostly stuff for collectors.
ImageImageImage

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:02 am

It's usually limited represses on coloured vinyl or picture disc, box sets, that kind of thing.

New music is an RSD rarity nowadays, although I did pick up a PiL live album last year which was previously only on CD, and Metallica released a cassette of their first demo tape.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:40 pm

Thats a shame, seems a bit more of a lazy way to make money rather than releasing something special and unique for vinyl lovers. Whatever floats peoples boats I guess, and it does help support shops which can only be a good thing.

I do like box sets though, but only if I really like the artist and the whole package is worthwhile. What are good RSD ones? This is a nice box set/special edition I have, the book is pretty good:

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:43 am

RSD list was a bit "meh" for me, Motorhead have a nice looking Green Vinyl for the Bad Magic album, was really hoping for something from Iron Maiden :cry:

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:15 am

IronMaidenRule wrote:RSD list was a bit "meh" for me, Motorhead have a nice looking Green Vinyl for the Bad Magic album, was really hoping for something from Iron Maiden :cry:
How about this?
Event: RECORD STORE DAY 2016
Release Date: 4/16/2016
Format: 12" Picture Disc
Label: BMG
Release type: RSD Exclusive Release

This 12" diecut gatefold picture disc vinyl features an exclusive Eddie image. Side 1 features the Epic 18 minute track “Empire Of The Clouds” and side 2 features “Maiden Voyage” an exclusive 21 minute interview with Bruce Dickinson and Nicko McBrain. The vinyl is limited edition and numbered and only available for Record Store Day

Side A: Empire Of The Clouds
Side B: Maiden Voyage- The story behind Empire Of The Clouds

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:30 pm

Had a look through the rsd list would really like to pick up the red vinyl release of ocean colour scenes mosely shoals.One of my fave albums of the 90's and don't own it on vinyl.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:56 am

What's the craic with the sound not being as good on fancy coloured or decorated vinyl?
Xbox Live: RetroBob

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:25 am

That's a can of worms!

Basically....picture discs sound crap. There's nothing to be done about it, the vinyl is so thin because of the image samdwiched in the middle that it's impossible to get a really good sound.

As for coloured vinyl....well. It depends on so many factors that there's no hard and fast rule - for a start, vinyl is actually clear, so even black records are technically coloured. :?

stvd

Post by stvd » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:47 am

RetroBob wrote:What's the craic with the sound not being as good on fancy coloured or decorated vinyl?
The sound difference is negligible in most cases.
A good pressing on coloured vinyl will beat a poor pressing on black vinyl.
I spoke to someone who works in mastering vinyl, he said it was a myth (picture discs excluded).

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:55 am

It all depends on how well the master is cut, and the quality of the raw materials. The colour doesn't really matter.

The label Fruits De Mer releases everything on coloured vinyl, and the sound quality on their records is second to none.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:16 pm

djcarlos wrote:
IronMaidenRule wrote:RSD list was a bit "meh" for me, Motorhead have a nice looking Green Vinyl for the Bad Magic album, was really hoping for something from Iron Maiden :cry:
How about this?
Event: RECORD STORE DAY 2016
Release Date: 4/16/2016
Format: 12" Picture Disc
Label: BMG
Release type: RSD Exclusive Release

This 12" diecut gatefold picture disc vinyl features an exclusive Eddie image. Side 1 features the Epic 18 minute track “Empire Of The Clouds” and side 2 features “Maiden Voyage” an exclusive 21 minute interview with Bruce Dickinson and Nicko McBrain. The vinyl is limited edition and numbered and only available for Record Store Day

Side A: Empire Of The Clouds
Side B: Maiden Voyage- The story behind Empire Of The Clouds
:shock: :shock: :shock: Not sure how I missed that one!! Thanks for the info, better hope Record Collector in Sheffield get a few.

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:08 pm

There's a handful I'd sure like. Just depends on the cost of some of them:

Frank Zappa - both releases
Dr Who - all three releases

If my two local participants in the event stock any it is likely just Zappa, which suits me as finances are a bit tight for all of 'em.