Anyone got an SSD drive in their PC?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Carrot007

Re: Anyone got an SSD drive in their PC?

Post by Carrot007 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:31 pm

Hmm. I am torn on the issue. It's HD size that get's me. even a 1TB SSD would seem a bit small to me these days!

My windows box has a 4tb SSHD as the boot drive. That will do for now!

Just got a laptop with a SSD (old laptop from friend with new drive). Seems fast but not greatly so. Not used it a lot though.

And as for windows only on a SSD. I see what you are saying. But little things like windows boot time and such are nothing to me. It's game loading time that takes time!

And to add it all up... A SSD would need what 200gb for windows (that 16gb sleep file has to go somewhere + paging file etc, ok I may be slightly overestimating here but apps etc!). Then 500gb+ for steam. 100gb for gog. 300gb for origin. So seems pointless under 1tb and 2tb prefereably.

My windows box also has a 2tb normal drive so 6tb in total, my debian box has 3+2+1tb drives in it, no SSD/SSHD though. Sorry but I have become too accustomed to having space for stuff!

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:09 am

Carrot007 wrote:And to add it all up... A SSD would need what 200gb for windows (that 16gb sleep file has to go somewhere + paging file etc, ok I may be slightly overestimating here but apps etc!). Then 500gb+ for steam. 100gb for gog. 300gb for origin. So seems pointless under 1tb and 2tb prefereably.
Do you really need 600gb of games installed though? I keep my GoG installers on an external HD and install one when I play it (which isn't often enough, sadly).

Steam is a bit more of a pain, in that I have to download them every time. On a decent internet connection a game (even a 6GB+ one) is only 30 minutes / 1 hour away.

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:05 am

I've been running SSDs in my systems for the last 5 years and not looked back (Although when I look at how much I paid for my original 128gb drive it makes me cry :cry: )

I still have mechanical disks for storage/backup purposes but Windows, Steam and other programs that benefit from the speed increase are all on SSDs. The first online game I played via the SSD was Counter Strike Source and it was lovely being the first person on a server after a map change :lol:

Carrot007

Post by Carrot007 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:04 pm

theantmeister wrote:Do you really need 600gb of games installed though?
Probably not but I've become accustomed to having the space!

I probably could easily get rid of 3/4 the things I have on my drives! But hey digital hoarding is less problematic than physical hoarding. (And despite having just moved and had 30 odd trips to the tip(etc.(not all tip!)) I really still need to get rid of a lot of actual junk!)

If I get a new machine I probably will get a SSD but certainly not below 1TB! And prefereably larger. My main box is probably due an upgrade but there seems no real point yet! Nothing that needs it, I have 1080p monitor and get good enough gfx in the games I play!

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:59 am

Carrot007 wrote:
And to add it all up... A SSD would need what 200gb for windows (that 16gb sleep file has to go somewhere + paging file etc, ok I may be slightly overestimating here but apps etc!).
Nah not even close to that. I have my windows 10 install on a 64GB SSD along with my most used programs and still have space on it.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:41 am

My laptop has a small SSD that enables Windows to boot up really fast which is a plus.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:46 am

theantmeister wrote:I keep my GoG installers on an external HD and install one when I play it (which isn't often enough, sadly).

Steam is a bit more of a pain, in that I have to download them every time. On a decent internet connection a game (even a 6GB+ one) is only 30 minutes / 1 hour away.
You don't have to download for Steam, you can back up the files and restore them later to save doing that.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Analog

Post by Analog » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:29 pm

yea have one on my main gaming rig. just keep the essentials on it, stuff for faster access and loading, and install the rest to the seagate drive.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:26 am

I put my new 250GB SSD in yesterday and did a fresh install of Windows 10 from disk. The install was super quick and now my boot time is seconds now. I seriously recommend one if you haven't got one already, awesome stuff. Using the SSD for Windows and my 2TB WD drive for games.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:30 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:You don't have to download for Steam, you can back up the files and restore them later to save doing that.
Thanks for the tip!