Anyone got an SSD drive in their PC?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

MattyC64c

Anyone got an SSD drive in their PC?

Post by MattyC64c » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:05 pm

Seriously, the prices of these things have massively dropped over the past six months. So much so that I'm contemplating an SSD (Solid State Drive) for my PC in the coming weeks. I'll still keep my 2TB HDD, but it will be used for games video and picture storage. The SSD will be for Windows. I'm thinking of purchasing a 256GB SSD.

My new Surface 3 has an SSD and even with it's Intel Atom processor, it boots to a fully operational Windows 10 in less then 15 seconds. Its performance has inspired me to upgrade the main PC with one.

Anyone else got one? Care to share your experiences?

Dam

Re: Anyone got an SSD drive in their PC?

Post by Dam » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:14 pm

Yeah I've got a 256GB SSD as the only drive in my low-spec windows 7 desktop that I use every day. I've had it about 18 months now. Its ace, still running super-fast, currently a little over half full. Can't remember which brand it is, might be a Crucial?

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:34 pm

Funnily enough, just had one fitted a few days ago. Lightning fast loading times for a relatively small sum.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:54 pm

my Acer Netbook has a 4 GB SSD with XP on it and a 12 GB normal for storage. Boots in seconds.
Going Solo...................

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:04 pm

I have a 128Gb Kingston SSD for Windows and programs, another 256Gb Samsung SSD for other programs, emulators, Gamebase etc and a third 640Gb, non-SSD drive for storage. System boot in a few seconds, programs and games are lightning fast, SSD drives have been an enormous improvement for me.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:11 pm

would fully recommend getting one for installing both windows and PC games to. So much faster, though there is still the problem of old windows installs getting bloated over time.

So cheap now too, I got a 128gb one a couple of years ago for over a hundred pounds, they are about £40 now. I may have to get a 500gb one and fresh install of windows on it soon.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:16 pm

Avoid the "Hybrid SSD" ones too, I brought one thinking I could get the best of both worlds, some increased speed and decent storage capacity.

Worked fine for about 6 months then it had a "ghosting" error between the SSD and the normal drive parts, tried to return it too Seagate as it was in warranty, they returned it and told me that fault isn't covered. :evil:

Switched back to a standard SATA Western Digital drive, till I need the speed of an SSD.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:46 pm

I'm currently using:

Desktop: 240GB Crucial SSD - Pretty much obsolete by modern SSD standards, but still gives a nice performance boost. Paired with a 3TB WD HDD for all the bulky stuff like media and games.
HTPC: 1TB Seagate SSHD - I've had a better experience than IronMaidenRule, but it's of distinctly in-between performance.
Surface Pro 3: 256GB mSATA SSD - Greased lightning.

If I were buying one now for a desktop, I'd be tempted to go for a 1TB SSD and do without a mechanical drive, getting another if I needed extra space. The 1TB Samsung 850 EVO in particular has had excellent reviews, costs about as much as a mid-range graphics card, and will have a drastically better effect on overall system performance. Alternatively, there's are 2TB drives on the market, but it seems a lot of money to put down in one go.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:39 am

My mate has a 256 in his machine and it boots super fast :) we was worried about the drive failing but 99.9% of stuff on the SSD can be replaced easily. His documents, family pictures, etc are on a 2TB mech drive with cloud backup also
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:33 am

Yes, both. I've had a Samsung EVO in my laptop for ages now and it really transformed it. I just stuck a SanDisk "Extreme" in my desktop recently and I can't say it has had as dramatic an impact. Maybe I'm just used to it having had an SDD in my laptop for a year? Maybe it's because laptop mechanical drives were always so much slower the difference was more obvious? Maybe it's because the laptop is a Mac and the desktop is Windows? Who knows...

A worthwhile update, no doubt. It just isn't as exciting as a new graphics card or something.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:53 am

I think i have one in my Dell XPS laptop (256GB). Its very silent, boots up Windows very quick, generally seems to run fast, and the battery life is surely enhanced by not having to also power a HDD that whirls around constantly!

merman

Post by merman » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:57 am

Was thinking about it when we upgraded the main PC, but in the end it felt safer to go with a standard hard drive.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:55 am

merman wrote:Was thinking about it when we upgraded the main PC, but in the end it felt safer to go with a standard hard drive.
I think for a main PC, it makes sense to go for the cheaper but much larger capacity drives. For laptops there are some positives for it though (including physical size as well).

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:24 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
merman wrote:Was thinking about it when we upgraded the main PC, but in the end it felt safer to go with a standard hard drive.
I think for a main PC, it makes sense to go for the cheaper but much larger capacity drives. For laptops there are some positives for it though (including physical size as well).
Only if your working to a tight budget on the bigger tower PC. There is no reason whatsoever that you can't install games on the standard HDD and just keep the SSD mainly for the OS. That's what I intend to do. There's loads of video guides on YouTube on how to have a dual SSD and HDD set-up.

Of course for laptops, you're stuck with one drive bay. So it's either high capacity, but slower access with a standard HDD, or lower capacity but faster access with the SSD. Well, unless you've got tons of money.

Sometimes it seems like my PC is taking an age to load all the background tasks when it boots up. Most of the time it's not a big issue, but sometimes - especially after a Windows update - my PC can get really sluggish on boot up. I'm hoping a SSD will alleviate this. For general non heavy use, my Suface seems nippier than my main PC.

Dave300

Post by Dave300 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:20 pm

I have a 120gb SSD for Windows and small frequently used programs like Windows Media Player, Winamp, etc. Then I have a 2tb drive for all my games and applications. Then I have a 1tb NAS box with all my media so it is easily shareable.