Black Monday

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Black Monday

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:09 pm

Oh dear. Are we in the dog doo-doo - financially? Could this be really bad? Or just a minor blip? Is it too early to say? Your thoughts please.

Personally - I blame Thatcher. Hey - why not - everything seems to be her thought. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Despite the fact that she is dead now.

sscott

Re: Black Monday

Post by sscott » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:24 pm

Blip. China's economy couldn't continue to rise forever.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:29 pm

The media probably should make less a deal of it and that the sky is falling down.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:05 pm

sscott wrote:Blip. China's economy couldn't continue to rise forever.
Yes, it appears that China's rapid growth really ceased a few years back and they've been cooking the books since. The question is whether their economy is generally in good shape, and only a readjustment is required, or whether it's going to hit free fall. With such a massive share of the world's industrial output, you'd think the former, but nobody's really sure and speculators will try to make a killing from it either way.

It's the price you pay for globalization. Someone messes up in a country half way round the world and everyone else feels it.

leefishuk

Post by leefishuk » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:46 am

I felt quite silly as I ran down to Asda to get a cheap tv ...

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:29 am

It seems like the markets have sort of bounced back, but there is still chaos in China.

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:41 am

Matt_B wrote:
sscott wrote:Blip. China's economy couldn't continue to rise forever.
Yes, it appears that China's rapid growth really ceased a few years back and they've been cooking the books since. The question is whether their economy is generally in good shape, and only a readjustment is required, or whether it's going to hit free fall. With such a massive share of the world's industrial output, you'd think the former, but nobody's really sure and speculators will try to make a killing from it either way.
I haven't visited China for over a year, but spent quite a number of weeks the previous 5 years. Anyway the building work has definitely slowed. Where our factory is located originally it was on its own by 0.5km or so. Now the space has been filled up and a couple of factories have appeared the other side. Also last time I was there they had started to build a road between our factory and the next to expand that way.

One thing I can say is that is is getting expensive to manufacture in China, wages are going up very rapdily. Many large companies are looking at moving manufacture to India, Serbia and in some cases back to Western Europe. Will the bubble burst, I doubt it they own a lot of property in America they could sell off!

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:41 am

This always strikes me as the sort of thing not worth worrying over, as even if it is a dog's dinner what can us plebs do about it? I do wonder now and again about what my pension'll actually be worth when I eventually cash it in

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:49 pm

Sel Feena wrote:This always strikes me as the sort of thing not worth worrying over, as even if it is a dog's dinner what can us plebs do about it?
This.

I didn't even know about it until this thread, and I'll be losing no sleep over it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.