Tequila
No votes

Total votes: 48

Sephiroth81

Re: Let's talk about booze.

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:16 pm

stvd wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:
gman72 wrote:Yes I believe the main event, Rodimus vs Sehiroth, is scheduled for some time between now and tomorrow night.
Get your seat, get some popcorn, sit back and enjoy.
Doubt it, I have him on ignore.
I wonder how many that makes now.
Even Krusty40 and Chiptune never mad me use that ignore button before now.
To be fair, the people who have put me on ignore are the ones that I am most satisfied with having me on ignore. I can't say much sleep will be lost from this - and I'm sure the feelings mutual.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:58 pm

It always baffles me when someone has to come into a topic and complain that it isn't what they want from it. The Cannabis thread is about the health issues - this isn't about health issues. So frigging what! Why is it such an issue Sephiroth?
As has been suggested already - if a thread is not to your liking, don't post in it or start another one. Just stop the petty bickering and stupid comments about something stupid like frigging bias ffs.

Of course, on the other side of the coin, post stuff about the health implications of booze - those that want to look can look, those that don't want to look can ignore it (although the amount of people that seem to be adding sephiroth to their ignore list could cancel that need out completely.

So - LET'S TALK ABOUT BOOZE:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:36 am

markopoloman wrote:It always baffles me when someone has to come into a topic and complain that it isn't what they want from it. The Cannabis thread is about the health issues - this isn't about health issues. So frigging what! Why is it such an issue Sephiroth?
As has been suggested already - if a thread is not to your liking, don't post in it or start another one. Just stop the petty bickering and stupid comments about something stupid like frigging bias ffs.

Of course, on the other side of the coin, post stuff about the health implications of booze - those that want to look can look, those that don't want to look can ignore it (although the amount of people that seem to be adding sephiroth to their ignore list could cancel that need out completely.

So - LET'S TALK ABOUT BOOZE:
Considering your occupation....I predicted your bias. :roll:

I personally don't see the problem with mentioning the health implications of booze, benefits and negative - STVD did and nobody jumped down his throat. I participate legitimately in the thread, mentioned what drinks I like, then also a counter post to STVDs benefits, and I get crucified for it! :lol:

Plus even the god of the thread, the almighty gman (that made me vomit saying that) didn't say we COULDN'T discuss it, just that it shouldn't become "a thread for heavy debate about the social and medical effects of booze either" - so that means we can discuss it calmly and sensibly without losing our heads. By moaning at me, you are merely turning it into a heavy debate. I'm just pointing out the facts - alcohol is nice in small quantities, but its also an intoxicating drug that has harmed many millions of people and we should show it extreme respect and caution.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:03 pm

Me owning and running a pub has nothing to do with it. I, probably more than most here understand the health issues of alcohol.
The problem people are having with you and your posts is the need to go on about bias and moaning about how one thread was for something and another against something different. Why not just post in the thread without having to feel the need to jump in name calling or blaming someone for setting the thread up for other reasons.

I have to ask, do you actually like the fact that people are adding you to their ignore list?
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:22 pm

markopoloman wrote:Me owning and running a pub has nothing to do with it. I, probably more than most here understand the health issues of alcohol.
The problem people are having with you and your posts is the need to go on about bias and moaning about how one thread was for something and another against something different. Why not just post in the thread without having to feel the need to jump in name calling or blaming someone for setting the thread up for other reasons.

I have to ask, do you actually like the fact that people are adding you to their ignore list?
Marko, I spotted a subtle agenda with this thread and decided to expose it. Its not a big deal really. I have no issues with the existence of this thread and happy for people to talk about booze in any way they wish, its a free(ish) country! I wasn't outraged!

I enjoy alcohol as much as the next drinker, I'm not opposed to it, and have contributed with the drinks I like to drink. Lets leave it there eh?

I have only a little idea who has added me to their ignore list, as they proudly boast about it on the forum. My feelings on it? I'm totally indifferent about it. In fact, if people wish to ignore me, this is preferable than them getting nasty or resorting to personal digs, which was beginning to creep in at times.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:41 am

I enjoyed a lovely pre mixed can of Jim Beam and coke last night. Very nice indeed. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:32 am

On a lighter note....this is one of my favourite clips from Family Guy :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPv9w2IfrSw

Mr Boooooze. Love it. Watched it stoned once (quel surprise eh?) and it was one of the funniest things ever and it never seemed to end! :lol:

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:40 am

My alcohol consumption is pretty boring, lager, whatever is cheapest.

Only go out about once a fortnight for a couple of beers (3-4 max) to avoid hangovers which seem to get exponentially worse with age.

At the last works drinks session I was mostly drinking shandy, as it was a lunchtime to closing time affair.

Its interesting some of the news segments over the last year or so moving away from Binge drinking, and towards regular drinking. Claiming an increase in people drinking everyday and the long terms dangers etc. One example being parents starting with a glass of wine a night after kids were sorted. Then moving onto a bottle then two.

If I am honest I virtually drink everyday but never more than a can or two, except when out as stated above. Could I do without, if I tried hard yes but I dont. Is this bordering or actually alcholism?

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:40 am

pantal00ns wrote: If I am honest I virtually drink everyday but never more than a can or two, except when out as stated above. Could I do without, if I tried hard yes but I dont. Is this bordering or actually alcholism?
No, I don't think having a drink every day is alcoholism. Far from it. Everything in moderation.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:48 am

gman72 wrote:
pantal00ns wrote: If I am honest I virtually drink everyday but never more than a can or two, except when out as stated above. Could I do without, if I tried hard yes but I dont. Is this bordering or actually alcholism?
No, I don't think having a drink every day is alcoholism, drinking to excess everyday is alcoholism. Just enjoy it.
No need to rub your eyes in disbelief, but I agree with gman on this one...not that he'll see it!

One to two drinks a day (unless they are triple neat vodkas!) is fairly moderate and sustainable. Its addictive and nice to have a glass or two in the evening, but usually not enough for it to cause long term damage to your liver or kidneys. Its also quite relaxing, and the benefits of this far outweigh the negatives of a drink.

I probably drink about 3 times a week these days on average, and usually a couple of pints/glasses of wine. I tend to find anymore and I feel either a bit bloated, or a bit tired. I want drinking to be a pleasure (and one that doesn't harm me), rather than a chore, and I find this to be a reasonable personal limit for me.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:18 am

Have the occasion bottle/pint of Trooper beer but not anything more than that, probably 1 every 6 months.

Like most people have put on here, went out drinking a lot at the leave school age and slowly cut down as I got older to the point of not drinking at all.

Used to get really bad hangovers from anything I drank, not even to excess, stuff like Carling and Fosters was the worst. Spirits weren’t as bad, but I just got fed up of feeling rough and trying to get on with normal life. Why not have something nice like coffee or tea!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:46 am

As I've got older, hangovers have become a thing of the past. No matter how much I drink, I rarely feel anything more than a little tired the following day having slept the sleep of the dead.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:08 pm

pantal00ns wrote:My alcohol consumption is pretty boring, lager, whatever is cheapest.

Only go out about once a fortnight for a couple of beers (3-4 max) to avoid hangovers which seem to get exponentially worse with age.

At the last works drinks session I was mostly drinking shandy, as it was a lunchtime to closing time affair.

Its interesting some of the news segments over the last year or so moving away from Binge drinking, and towards regular drinking. Claiming an increase in people drinking everyday and the long terms dangers etc. One example being parents starting with a glass of wine a night after kids were sorted. Then moving onto a bottle then two.

If I am honest I virtually drink everyday but never more than a can or two, except when out as stated above. Could I do without, if I tried hard yes but I dont. Is this bordering or actually alcholism?
I think you're borderline in the alcoholism stakes if it's a habitual thing. Addicts have a habit and all that. If you can prove to yourself that you can abstain for a day or two, then you'll have your answer.

I'm no expert on alcohol and its effects, however, when I had a week off work I was listening to the Jeremy Vine show on Radio 2 and they were discussing a new study revolving around alcohol consumption.

They essentially took two twin brothers, took their vitals, blood pressure and liver function etc and gave them a task each. One had to drink 1/2 drinks a day and the other got smashed once a week. The test would last one month and then they would return to be tested again.

If you believe what most of us have been told, you would guess that the moderate drinker faired much better than the brother who got smashed once a week. But no, although both had done damage to their liver function, it was the moderate drinking brother who came off worse in the health tests. The theory was, that the brother who got pissed still had 6 days of alcohol free consumption, therefore, his liver was able to recover from the self abuse.

Shame I can't find the study via a brief look on the interweb. Still, this wasn't too scare you, just food for thought.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:08 pm

still no votes for Tequila :lol: :lol:

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:18 pm

Nemesis wrote: I think you're borderline in the alcoholism stakes if it's a habitual thing. Addicts have a habit and all that. If you can prove to yourself that you can abstain for a day or two, then you'll have your answer.

I'm no expert on alcohol and its effects, however, when I had a week off work I was listening to the Jeremy Vine show on Radio 2 and they were discussing a new study revolving around alcohol consumption.

They essentially took two twin brothers, took their vitals, blood pressure and liver function etc and gave them a task each. One had to drink 1/2 drinks a day and the other got smashed once a week. The test would last one month and then they would return to be tested again.

If you believe what most of us have been told, you would guess that the moderate drinker faired much better than the brother who got smashed once a week. But no, although both had done damage to their liver function, it was the moderate drinking brother who came off worse in the health tests. The theory was, that the brother who got pissed still had 6 days of alcohol free consumption, therefore, his liver was able to recover from the self abuse.

Shame I can't find the study via a brief look on the interweb. Still, this wasn't too scare you, just food for thought.
Very interesting, and I suppose there is some logic in there.

So basically - get smashed on Friday night, but leave the rest of the week to recover! Oh dear, i'll have to roll back the years and go back to those days!

Goes against all the information we are fed though about alcohol consumption doesn't it? We are led to believe binge drinking is worse than Hitler but drinking a glass or two of wine a day lowers blood pressure and is almost recommended. I would imagine though giving your body a proper couple of days or few days detox from alcohol is probably a sensible thing.