Tequila
No votes

Total votes: 48

Megamixer

Re: Let's talk about booze.

Post by Megamixer » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:01 am

rupert wrote:
Megamixer wrote:
rupert wrote:My facourite of the night was The Balvenie, I would love a bottle but don't have £560 spare :roll:
Well at least you can get a younger version for a more 'normal' price...

The only 'proper' whisky I've had is Talisker and I wasn't a huge fan of the actual flavour. I've noticed that there is also a 'Talisker Storm'...anybody know the difference?
Talisker has a very distinctive pepper taste which isnt for everyone. I would suggest not trying the Storm as it's more of the same but the flavour profile is turned up a notch. I've also had a bottle of the Dark Storm, similar again, I think a 'Travel Retail exclusive' though (i.e. duty free shops only).

Try Highland Park 12yo, good value and sometimes on offer in one of the supermarkets - a hint of smoke and honey that isnt over powering, very easy to drink.
I did suspect that it might be a more 'souped up' version (to use very un-whisky terminology) of the regular Talisker but anyway, cheers - will give the Storm a miss. I work in a wholesalers so I can sometimes get the bottles a few quid cheaper than in the shop when they are on promotion and I know we do Highland 12 yo so I might give that a go sometime.
psj3809 wrote:Yeah i dont know anyone who drinks rum apart from maybe grandparents !
Dark rum is alright though I prefer it mixed with coke. White rum still seems to be really popular, Bacardi etc.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:50 pm

I only really drink if there's a new tipple to try (and obviously if it tastes good). Those Koppaberg Ciders are pretty nice.
The Artist Formerly Known as Timothy Lumsden...

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:37 pm

Megamixer wrote:
rupert wrote:
Megamixer wrote:
The only 'proper' whisky I've had is Talisker and I wasn't a huge fan of the actual flavour. I've noticed that there is also a 'Talisker Storm'...anybody know the difference?
Talisker has a very distinctive pepper taste which isnt for everyone. I would suggest not trying the Storm as it's more of the same but the flavour profile is turned up a notch. I've also had a bottle of the Dark Storm, similar again, I think a 'Travel Retail exclusive' though (i.e. duty free shops only).

Try Highland Park 12yo, good value and sometimes on offer in one of the supermarkets - a hint of smoke and honey that isnt over powering, very easy to drink.
I did suspect that it might be a more 'souped up' version (to use very un-whisky terminology) of the regular Talisker but anyway, cheers - will give the Storm a miss. I work in a wholesalers so I can sometimes get the bottles a few quid cheaper than in the shop when they are on promotion and I know we do Highland 12 yo so I might give that a go sometime.
Pubs and clubs don't often stock anything of much worth - usually the same-old same -old - but Jameson is currently a lovely dram. And it is a most reasonable price in stores, too. [Jameson is an Irish whiskey] Occasionally, Dalwhinnie can be found in pubs, and that is also a very worthwhile experience. Glenmorangie might not be too exciting, but you can't really go wrong with that, either.

Don't just neck the shots, either. Keep each sip in the mouth (at least 5-seconds), rolling around, coating the tongue - some of the flavour takes a few moments to appear, and if you are feeling brave either a small breath in through your teeth to invigorate the fumes or a mouth-wash shuck; then swallow slowly. Some people choke first time, others are short of breath. Either way, what you now have still in your mouth - and for some time after - is the true flavour of the golden liquid imbibed. Simply neck the juice and you miss all that experience, flavour, wanton assault on your tastebuds etc. And for anyone new to whiskey, I find those I mentioned are some of the easier to explore. Cope with any of those and want something more 'exciting' (wrong word, but it'll do), take your pick. Although some whiskies are dire - seriously, even for seasoned drinkers, they're a gagfest - you will encounter some quiet extraordinary drams; just probably not in the pub (unless it's Ardbeg 10yr!).

The Whisky Bible, created by Jim Murray, gives a good idea of what a good, worthwhile whisky is (just don't expect there to be a very large choice of Scottish under £30. And you're unlikely to find anything other than Bourbon beyond these shores for that money, too).

Most whiskey talk usually centres on single malts. That's a bit unfair as, technically, they are easier to achieve grandeur at than a blend. A worthy blend, however, is a thing of rare beauty. Super Nikka I find just such. Over here, it's a hard-to-find Japanese. The majority on a pub shelf are generally the same-old same-old and worth avoiding (for my money, anyway).

Oh, and Southern Comfort, despite being listed under Whiskey on menus, is NOT a whiskey. Just so you know.

Slàinte

rupert

Post by rupert » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:22 pm

Sputryk wrote: Don't just neck the shots, either. Keep each sip in the mouth (at least 5-seconds), rolling around, coating the tongue - some of the flavour takes a few moments to appear, and if you are feeling brave either a small breath in through your teeth to invigorate the fumes or a mouth-wash shuck; then swallow slowly. Some people choke first time, others are short of breath. Either way, what you now have still in your mouth - and for some time after - is the true flavour of the golden liquid imbibed. Simply neck the juice and you miss all that experience, flavour, wanton assault on your tastebuds etc. And for anyone new to whiskey, I find those I mentioned are some of the easier to explore. Cope with any of those and want something more 'exciting' (wrong word, but it'll do), take your pick. Although some whiskies are dire - seriously, even for seasoned drinkers, they're a gagfest - you will encounter some quiet extraordinary drams; just probably not in the pub (unless it's Ardbeg 10yr!).
Very good advice, most people I have drank whisky with who say they don't like it usually find they love it once they have drank it properly and not just treated it like a shot. I also find it's at least 50% about the nose, I can spend a good 15 minutes just nosing a whisky before I actually take a sip.

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:11 am

I can appreciate how people can enjoy Whiskey and the difference between blends malts etc.

Its probably the one short that makes me physically sick, and its a psycological thing. When I was young 8-9 I think we visited my Brother in Scotland and went to a Glenfiddich brewery. My Dad enjoyed it too much and mum had to drive after we carried him to the car.

Its was an interesting tour but all I remember was leaning over a vat, and the smell to my under developed system just rejected it straight away. Can't touch or smell it since without feeling sick.

I do enjoy a good brandy usually neat or at a stretch with coke. Brandy and Ice is also nice to just sip and enjoy.

Cant understand the, less so now, widespread appeal of shots (inadvertently just wrote sh*ts). I suppose its great if your objective is just to get hammered, or become broke quickly.

rupert

Post by rupert » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:10 pm

I had the following single cask whiskies at a whisky tasting tonight-

Craigellachie 14yo
Arran 18yo
Inchgower 18yo
Highland Park 16yo
North British (Single Grain) 50yo - distilled in 1962!
Mortlach 22yo

All 6 were really excellent but I would say the Highland Park was my favroite, due to the complexity and surprise smokey note on the finish. Also a real privilege to try a whisky that has spent 50 years maturing in a barrel.

I'm now home and just tucking in to another single cask, Mortlach 9yo, tastes very youthful but full of fruits :)