Rum
4%
Tequila
No votes

Total votes: 48

rupert

Re: Let's talk about booze.

Post by rupert » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:08 pm

Just back from the whisky tasting, it was fairly amazing, this is the line up....

The Dalmore - King Alexander III
The Macallan - Rare Cask
The Balvenie - 30 years old
Glengarioch - single cask 21 years old
Highland Park - 18 years old
Glenfarclas - single cask 47 years old (Distilled in 1966!)

My facourite of the night was The Balvenie, I would love a bottle but don't have £560 spare :roll:

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:02 am

Wowzers that's an expensive tipple. Why is it so costly? Was it fermented by Polynesian virgins filtered through Unicorn hair? :shock:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:36 am

Much to my own personal disappointment, I drank far too much (white wine) on Thursday evening, and paid the price on Friday morning. Felt absolutely horrendous, and realised why I don't drink so much these days! Hangovers are awful. Felt over-parched, sick, headaches and rough till early afternoon. Approximate cost £40

Needless to say, I enjoyed a different recreational drug on Friday evening and felt fresh as a daisy on Saturday morning. An incredibly long sleep with some vivid dreams and set me up to feel relaxed the whole of the day. Approximate cost £3. Cue Jeremy Clarkson smug-face :D

But just to tick the topic box, the white wine was of good quality though.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:43 am

I have only had 2 hang overs in my life, one was after my 18th birthday where somebody introduced me to Jamaican rum (Think it was something like 40%)

The other was after the Lass closing down party (to drunk to walk properly)
I can drink loads and never get one, but i dont usually drink a lot anyway

rupert

Post by rupert » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:03 am

gman72 wrote:Wowzers that's an expensive tipple. Why is it so costly? Was it fermented by Polynesian virgins filtered through Unicorn hair? :shock:
Well it has been in a barrel for 30 years, not only is that a long time to store something but they will loose a lot to evaporation. As an example of this the 47 year old Glenfarclas we tried had come from a 700ltr Sherry Butt (barrel), they got just over 200 70cl bottles out of it!

Older whisky also seems to shooting up in price due to demand. Example being the Highland Park 18yo which used to be £60 in Tesco, is now around £100. There is a new trend to not show ages on the bottle as the age on the bottle has to be the youngest whisky in the bottle. These are known as NAS (No Age Statement). You can bet that some will have younger whisky in there.. Not going to sell very much if they slap '3 years old' on the bottle. Most distillerys are now producing a NAS bottlin or range, it's fairly unpopular practice among whisky geeks but to me if the price is right and tastes good then I'm not too worried.

Spector

Post by Spector » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:07 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote: Needless to say, I enjoyed a different recreational drug on Friday evening and felt fresh as a daisy on Saturday morning. An incredibly long sleep with some vivid dreams and set me up to feel relaxed the whole of the day. Approximate cost £3. Cue Jeremy Clarkson smug-face :D
And, er, what recreational drug would that be?
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:35 pm

Spector wrote:
And, er, what recreational drug would that be?
Don't play innocent with me Spector :P

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:39 pm

rupert wrote:My facourite of the night was The Balvenie, I would love a bottle but don't have £560 spare :roll:
Well at least you can get a younger version for a more 'normal' price...

The only 'proper' whisky I've had is Talisker and I wasn't a huge fan of the actual flavour. I've noticed that there is also a 'Talisker Storm'...anybody know the difference?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:19 pm

Only 2 of us voted Rum!?

rupert

Post by rupert » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:04 pm

Megamixer wrote:
rupert wrote:My facourite of the night was The Balvenie, I would love a bottle but don't have £560 spare :roll:
Well at least you can get a younger version for a more 'normal' price...

The only 'proper' whisky I've had is Talisker and I wasn't a huge fan of the actual flavour. I've noticed that there is also a 'Talisker Storm'...anybody know the difference?
Talisker has a very distinctive pepper taste which isnt for everyone. I would suggest not trying the Storm as it's more of the same but the flavour profile is turned up a notch. I've also had a bottle of the Dark Storm, similar again, I think a 'Travel Retail exclusive' though (i.e. duty free shops only).

Try Highland Park 12yo, good value and sometimes on offer in one of the supermarkets - a hint of smoke and honey that isnt over powering, very easy to drink.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:39 pm

Joey wrote:Only 2 of us voted Rum!?
Not as many pirates around these days.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:22 am

Yeah i dont know anyone who drinks rum apart from maybe grandparents !

A lot of booze i'm not too interested in, just like getting a nice 'buzz' and getting drunk (not hammered) nowadays. I dont appreciate whiskey or that so i would never do any of these whiskey tasting days. Dont think theres hardly any booze i've ever had and thought 'yeah thats nice' after i've winced after drinking some strong vodka or downed some whiskey !

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:27 am

psj3809 wrote:Yeah i dont know anyone who drinks rum apart from maybe grandparents !

A lot of booze i'm not too interested in, just like getting a nice 'buzz' and getting drunk (not hammered) nowadays. I dont appreciate whiskey or that so i would never do any of these whiskey tasting days. Dont think theres hardly any booze i've ever had and thought 'yeah thats nice' after i've winced after drinking some strong vodka or downed some whiskey !
I find my peak "buzz" from alcohol is about 2-3 glasses of wine. Beyond that it becomes a ball ache and downhill. It just makes me feel tired, groggy and then of course you feel thirsty, dehydrated and troublesome the next morning!

No doubt though that when in that limited "operating window" of alcohol, its a pleasurable experience.

I agree though, alcohol is often not that immediately tasty and is very much acquired. Lots of drinks of course require non-alcoholic mixers to make them more enjoyable and palatable. Lager and wine took me a while to enjoy the taste, but like with the "buzz", I enjoy both up to a point tastewise, and after 4 or 5 pints of beer, I'm over it and find it a chore!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:30 am

Back in the 90's it used to take me a fair bit to get drunk. Thats why me and my friends started drinking before we went to the pubs. Otherwise you get your 'buzz' when its 10.30ish and then its time to go home !

So if we got pretty drunk before hand by the time we get down the pub at 8pm on a friday we were drunk all night, good times !!

Years later i hardly drink, started off i had to drive back up north so i didnt want to risk having a slight hangover or having to wait till i felt 'okay' to drive home the next day. Just stopped drinking.

Do drink now and then but i dont bother having one down the pub, i'll either have a few or none at all.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:45 am

One is too many ten is not enough?
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD