Rum
4%
Tequila
No votes

Total votes: 48

Antiriad2097

Re: Let's talk about booze.

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:45 am

Fair enough, but having talked to the professionals about it, this is how they described it to me.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:25 am

gman72 wrote:I'd disagree. Based on my own life experiences but perceptions understandably differ between individuals.
Having a father that drinks most days but has worked his whole life, purchased his own house and been married more years than I care to mention and has no major health problems and a friend that literally drank himself to death in a few years I have my own definitions to what constitutes an alcoholic.
I'm not saying you're wrong, antiriad, just that I don't agree.
You don't make up the definitions though, and neither do anecdotes. Purchasing a house, holding down a job and marriage doesn't prevent you from having the status of alcoholic. I'm sure there are many many alcoholics in the same situation. We don't all have to say the line of being an alcoholic is someone who is destitute and at the "park bench" most days.

If you are dependent on alcohol, you are an alcoholic. Simple really. There are of course varying degrees of this, and for some it can ruin their lives, for others they can go about their routines and business without causing too much issue.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:55 am

I don't know what is an alcoholic, or not an alcohilic. People may disagree or agree and have diffferent ideas, but I really think we need to draw the line here, because its getting uncomfortably close to forum members accusing another members Dad of being an alcoholic.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:10 am

Not at all, since there is no indication that he needed to drink, he just did so.

I know someone who follows a similar lifestyle, but the ability to go without when necessary is that crucial point. Since he doesn't need to drink, and can go without, without any issues, he isn't by definition an alcoholic, he's just a regular/heavy drinker.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:16 am

RodimusPrime wrote:I don't know what is an alcoholic, or not an alcohilic. People may disagree or agree and have diffferent ideas, but I really think we need to draw the line here, because its getting uncomfortably close to forum members accusing another members Dad of being an alcoholic.
No one is accusing anyone of anything. We are just looking at definitions of alcoholism. Its not about individuals, its about the specific medical definition of being an alcoholic which of course varies in extremity anyway. Alcoholics aren't all the same.

I think a lot of alcoholics are also in denial, and lie or cover up their intake. They may suggest to others they drink one or two glasses a day socially, but they either forget the other drinks they may have, or they just don't tell people. Its their choice of course, but its potentially a problem.

Spector

Post by Spector » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:20 am

An alcoholic is someone who has control over when he starts drinking, but no control over when he stops, and that's why someone who drinks heavily every weekend is not an alcoholic, because he's able to make himself stop for monday morning. Alcoholics cannot decide to drink moderately, it's as simple as that. They either drink all the time or not at all.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:26 am

Spector wrote:An alcoholic is someone who has control over when he starts drinking, but no control over when he stops, and that's why someone who drinks heavily every weekend is not an alcoholic, because he's able to make himself stop for monday morning. Alcoholics cannot decide to drink moderately, it's as simple as that. They either drink all the time or not at all.
True, you have alcoholics, binge drinkers, heavy drinkers and casual social drinkers - only really the latter is advisable from a health perspective.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:07 am

The examples I provided were simply to address the point that Pantaloons made about whether him needing a couple of drinks of an evening made him an alcoholic. Quite simply it does not. He's just a guy who likes a couple of drinks of an evening. Actual alcoholism is a brutal and tragic affliction, and despite what the regulation manual may say you know when you've seen actual alcoholism. It pretty much announces itself as soon as you spend more than a few moments in the company of an unfortunate victim of this nasty affliction.
I know Antiriad was pointing out what official guidelines may say and that may be enough for some and that's fine but in my opinion there is a gulf of difference between someone who likes a couple of beers a night and a practising alcoholic. That's the only point i'm (albeit ineptly) trying to make using examples from my own personal experience as my guidelines.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:28 am

No one has ever said there aren't different extremes of alcoholism, but two people can be alcoholic with one of them with dire immediate health consequences, and the other could have just a dependency to booze but still be deemed an alcoholic.

Alcoholism isn't just limited to Charlie Kennedy or Oliver Reed in terms of severity.

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:50 am

There has been some interesting points raised here from personal experience or otherwise and appreicate peoples responses.

The main reason I mentioned my own personal drinking habits was at some level I am concerned that its regular drinking all be it in moderate quantities. I did have a scare a while ago where my liver function was a 'concern', around a time I know I was drinking regularly but much heavier than I currently do. Testing (regular Bloods) since hasn't shown any long term effect, and I assume this would.

As mentioned this is probably not dissimilar to many people in the country or indeed Western Europe.

In other news I have decided that I no longer like Bulmers, I quite like most ciders but this no longers seems to hit the spot.

Also I seem to a re aquired a liking for Carlsberg, although this could well be mainly attributed to the price.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:41 am

Bulmers is lush but Stella Cidre is my new love.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

rupert

Post by rupert » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:19 pm

This thread went downhill fast.

Anyway, on a more positive note I've got a few tastings and festivals booked in the coming weeks..

This Sarurday i'm at the Whisky Shop 2nd Birthday tasting, each memeber of staff will be opening their favourite bottle and talk us through why they love it.

Next Friday at the Whisky Shop again for a Hunter Laing (indipendent bottler) tasting, i've been to one of these before and they are great. Its a low cost way of getting to try some amazing whisky. In case you don't know - an Independent bottler is when a company not associated with a distillery buys barrels and bottles them with their own labels, typically cheaper than a distillery release.

Then the Saturday after that is a Whisky Lounge Liverpool Whisky Festival, it is in the Crypt of the Metropolitan Cathedral again this year. Unlike an Ale festivel you just pay an entry fee then it's as much whisky as you want to try for 5 hours. We normally leave feeling quite well lubricated :D

Then Later in Sept I'm at the Britons Protection for a Kavalan Vs Scotland tasting. Kavalan is a Taiwanese single malt, it's surprisingly good. This will be a blind tasting of 3 scottish and 3 Kavalan whiskies.

Then In October it's the Whisky Lounge Manchester Whisky Festival. This one is the main event for me, always a great atmosphere and this year There about 10 12 people from work going and my Dad :D

Lots to look forward to :D

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:58 pm

I tried a whiskey called Springbank earlier this week. The 12 year old version was rather nice. Has anyone else sampled this?

rupert

Post by rupert » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:20 pm

Ferret Oxide wrote:I tried a whiskey called Springbank earlier this week. The 12 year old version was rather nice. Has anyone else sampled this?
Yes, a few times, a very nice Whisky. The distillary also produce a peated range called Longrow which I prefer.

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:37 pm

Thanks Rupert, I will look out for that.