Rum
4%
Tequila
No votes

Total votes: 48

Megamixer

Re: Let's talk about booze.

Post by Megamixer » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:19 pm

Somebody made a jokey point to me (and I think they nicked this from a comedian) that it seems okay for a woman to get through a whole bottle of wine in an evening but if a bloke decides to drink a Special Brew then questions are asked :lol:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:47 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Nemesis wrote: I think you're borderline in the alcoholism stakes if it's a habitual thing. Addicts have a habit and all that. If you can prove to yourself that you can abstain for a day or two, then you'll have your answer.

I'm no expert on alcohol and its effects, however, when I had a week off work I was listening to the Jeremy Vine show on Radio 2 and they were discussing a new study revolving around alcohol consumption.

They essentially took two twin brothers, took their vitals, blood pressure and liver function etc and gave them a task each. One had to drink 1/2 drinks a day and the other got smashed once a week. The test would last one month and then they would return to be tested again.

If you believe what most of us have been told, you would guess that the moderate drinker faired much better than the brother who got smashed once a week. But no, although both had done damage to their liver function, it was the moderate drinking brother who came off worse in the health tests. The theory was, that the brother who got pissed still had 6 days of alcohol free consumption, therefore, his liver was able to recover from the self abuse.

Shame I can't find the study via a brief look on the interweb. Still, this wasn't too scare you, just food for thought.
Very interesting, and I suppose there is some logic in there.

So basically - get smashed on Friday night, but leave the rest of the week to recover! Oh dear, i'll have to roll back the years and go back to those days!

Goes against all the information we are fed though about alcohol consumption doesn't it? We are led to believe binge drinking is worse than Hitler but drinking a glass or two of wine a day lowers blood pressure and is almost recommended. I would imagine though giving your body a proper couple of days or few days detox from alcohol is probably a sensible thing.
Makes sense when you think about it.

Also I cold be wrong but my understanding is that hangovers are actually withdrawl symptoms as much as anything to do with dehydration etc. Which would explian why a pint the morning after ironically often works as a hang over cure.

So I guess in theory the consistant moderate drinker is sustaining the addiction, however mild, and is more likely to be addicted than the typical social/weekend binge drinker.
gman72 wrote:still no votes for Tequila :lol: :lol:
Oddly, while many of my freinds drew the line at tequila shots, I had no trouble knocking them back, no need for any salt and lemons or any of that either. Probably because I found all spirits equally as vile, I mean that is the point of doing shots, right? :lol:
Megamixer wrote:Somebody made a jokey point to me (and I think they nicked this from a comedian) that it seems okay for a woman to get through a whole bottle of wine in an evening but if a bloke decides to drink a Special Brew then questions are asked :lol:
It's probably a good point that there is a bit of a snobbishness about alcohol, a wine drinker may be seen differently to a beer drinker.

This reminds me of another point. I think it's the calories in alcohol that a lot of people don't consider, much like the calories people don't consider from the multiple cups of sugared tea and coffee they consume daily. I know plenty of women who can't understand why they can't loose weight, but go through wine like it's water.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:54 pm

I drink 1/2 to 2 pints a day most days of the week. I don't need to drink and could easily not drink ale for weeks - but I like it so carry on anyway.

I see people drinking pint after pint after pint at work and these people are in every day of the week - they are not me and they spend good money. Their livers may be pickled but there is food on my table :lol:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:28 pm

I'm partial to the occasional Tequila, but used up my three options on other drinks. Most of the stuff out there is bland clear firewater that's barely distinguishable from a cheap vodka, though. It's good for throwing into cocktails, where you really just want the alcohol and the other ingredients supply the taste, but not much else. If you're going to try it neat, you really should try to get something from a good brand that's aged in barrels, like a Don Julio Anejo or Sauza Hacienda Reposado. It then becomes a much more complex drink that people who enjoy a good whisky or brandy ought to be able to enjoy.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:36 am

markopoloman wrote:
I see people drinking pint after pint after pint at work and these people are in every day of the week - they are not me and they spend good money. Their livers may be pickled but there is food on my table :lol:
So you're basically a legal hardcore drug dealer who profits on peoples addictions, oversees them ruining their lives and profits from it. Not unlike a bookie :P

Don't worry, I'm not being overly serious. The same could apply to those that work in fast food restaurants.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:17 am

Matt_B wrote:I'm partial to the occasional Tequila, but used up my three options on other drinks. Most of the stuff out there is bland clear firewater that's barely distinguishable from a cheap vodka, though. It's good for throwing into cocktails, where you really just want the alcohol and the other ingredients supply the taste, but not much else. If you're going to try it neat, you really should try to get something from a good brand that's aged in barrels, like a Don Julio Anejo or Sauza Hacienda Reposado. It then becomes a much more complex drink that people who enjoy a good whisky or brandy ought to be able to enjoy.
I got smashed on it a few years ago with mates. We were doing the whole salt and lemon routine. What is the actual point of the salt and lemon?
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:53 am

gman72 wrote:
Matt_B wrote:I'm partial to the occasional Tequila, but used up my three options on other drinks. Most of the stuff out there is bland clear firewater that's barely distinguishable from a cheap vodka, though. It's good for throwing into cocktails, where you really just want the alcohol and the other ingredients supply the taste, but not much else. If you're going to try it neat, you really should try to get something from a good brand that's aged in barrels, like a Don Julio Anejo or Sauza Hacienda Reposado. It then becomes a much more complex drink that people who enjoy a good whisky or brandy ought to be able to enjoy.
I got smashed on it a few years ago with mates. We were doing the whole salt and lemon routine. What is the actual point of the salt and lemon?
It's not something I've ever been keen on, but it's a traditional way of shooting tequila that'll liven up the cheaper varieties which can be a bit bland.

You can use the same ingredients, with the addition of ice and orange liqueur, to mix a Margarita though, which is the sort of drink that hot summer days were invented for.

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:17 am

YESTERDAY
gman72 wrote: No, I don't think having a drink every day is alcoholism. Far from it. Everything in moderation.
Sephiroth81 wrote:No need to rub your eyes in disbelief, but I agree with gman on this one...not that he'll see it!
TODAY....
Nemesis wrote: I think you're borderline in the alcoholism stakes if it's a habitual thing. Addicts have a habit and all that. If you can prove to yourself that you can abstain for a day or two, then you'll have your answer..

What a difference a day makes....yesterday I was just enjoying drink or two and Gman and Sephiroth agreed :shock:

Today I 'm a borderline alcholic.... :oops:

Tomorrow I am purchasing a brown bag, stupidly strong cider, pi**ing myself several times then lying down on a park bench until I need more drink. :D

I'm not intending mischief by quoting text that would otherwise be on ignore, just an interesting aside. Also this is the most simlies I have put in a post for a while, so lests end with me being a winker :wink: :wink:

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:39 am

pantal00ns wrote:

What a difference a day makes....yesterday I was just enjoying drink or two and Gman and Sephiroth agreed :shock:

Today I 'm a borderline alcholic.... :oops:

Tomorrow I am purchasing a brown bag, stupidly strong cider, pi**ing myself several times then lying down on a park bench until I need more drink. :D

I'm not intending mischief by quoting text that would otherwise be on ignore, just an interesting aside. Also this is the most simlies I have put in a post for a while, so lests end with me being a winker :wink: :wink:
gman would be proud of you using so many smilies in one post.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:33 pm

pantal00ns wrote: Today I 'm a borderline alcholic.... :oops:

Pantal00ns, I'm not an expert on alcoholism. I can only speculate whereas I think you probably know the real answer to that question. I suspect your consumption of alcohol is little different from many people in the UK.

I guess the angle I was coming from is that I think addiction doesn't just mean that you have to have copius amounts of cigarettes, drinks, drugs etc on a daily basis to be termed an addict. Someone could be addicted to having 2 cigarettes a day as well as 20. It comes down to whether someone feels they "need" it on a regular basis such as they might feel they need a coffee (caffeine) hit to start the day or a cigarette. That person then believes that they'd struggle to function without it. It becomes a necessity.

For me, having a drink a day is better than having 20 cigarettes.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:06 am

Nemesis wrote: Pantal00ns, I'm not an expert on alcoholism. I can only speculate whereas I think you probably know the real answer to that question. I suspect your consumption of alcohol is little different from many people in the UK.

I guess the angle I was coming from is that I think addiction doesn't just mean that you have to have copius amounts of cigarettes, drinks, drugs etc on a daily basis to be termed an addict. Someone could be addicted to having 2 cigarettes a day as well as 20. It comes down to whether someone feels they "need" it on a regular basis such as they might feel they need a coffee (caffeine) hit to start the day or a cigarette. That person then believes that they'd struggle to function without it. It becomes a necessity.

For me, having a drink a day is better than having 20 cigarettes.
[/quote][/quote]

As you probably know I was only joking, if I am honest you are probably right it is a form of alcholism, its a drug after all. The need for it on a regular basis no matter the quantity is an addiction, wether it is detremental to ones health is obviously unique to the individual.

Cigarettes are more of a hateful thing for me, I gave up for 8yrs or so then started again when going through a bad patch. Only smoke at work and never in front of my kids as I would not want them to.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:08 am

pantal00ns wrote:
As you probably know I was only joking, if I am honest you are probably right it is a form of alcholism, its a drug after all. The need for it on a regular basis no matter the quantity is an addiction, wether it is detremental to ones health is obviously unique to the individual.

Cigarettes are more of a hateful thing for me, I gave up for 8yrs or so then started again when going through a bad patch. Only smoke at work and never in front of my kids as I would not want them to.
www.alternet.org/10-hardest-drugs-kick

This is a list of the hardest 10 drugs to kick. Heroin tops the list, and our government endorsed drugs of nicotine at number 3 (ahead of crystal meth!) and alcohol is at number 6.

The forums favourite drug of cannabis is not on the list here of most addictive substances.....why is there no smug smiley face available???

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:33 am

A few drinks a day - one or two - is not alcoholism. It's not even a form of alcoholism. Not even close.
My best friend, Mike, took voluntary redundancy from his job several years ago. He was a decent drummer and I was in a few bands with him. He starting drinking a few cans of beer everyday, at that point he was not an alcoholic. I didn't see him for a few months then one time in town I saw him out and about and was shocked to see his skin was yellow like The Simpsons - even his eyeballs were yellow. Obviously something was wrong but he refused to go to AA and said it was all under control.
By the time he was found dead on the floor of his front room in a pool of blood caused by alcohol induced lesions in his stomach which had filled with blood and effectively drowned him as the overspill from his stomach filled his lungs and windpipe he was drinking 3-4 litre bottles of Smirnoff vodka everyday. Starting about 8 Am. He hid them from his GF although she knew he was smashed everyday and she knew he wouldn't last too long. He knew he wouldn't last and although he refused to go to AA or get any help he wrote two songs about a desperate guy who was drinking himself to death. I ended up recording both of them and one was played at his funeral. It all took maybe three years after he took redundancy.
That to me is the definition of an alcoholic.

It's all old news now though, but a small level of understanding about what defines alcoholism is needed. Also, I'm now guilty of discussing the health risks which I didn't want to happen but there you are.
So, a few drinks everyday is not an alcoholic. My dad was a heavy drinker for years. Pub every night, drunk quite often but only in the evenings. He held down full time jobs all his working life with no problems. A heavy drinker is not an alcoholic.
An alcoholic is someone who's intake has severe detrimental effects on their own life and the lives of their family yet can't stop.
Sorry for the huge downer post, I'm sure many people know someone who went through something like Mike did.
That said if someone is unlucky enough to enjoy a little alcohol everyday and it has a detrimental effect on their health that does not make them an alcoholic it makes them a rather unlucky person that likes a drink.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:37 am

That isn't how the alcohol advisory services would describe it.

If you can't go without a drink, have cravings for it when you miss a day, you are an alcoholic.

If you are drinking to the detriment of your life, i.e. it's causing problems, physically, emotionally, or with relationships with others, and you can't control that, you're an alcoholic.

It's about dependency, not extremity.

A heavy drinker who has to drink is an alcoholic. One who can/does go without when they feel like it isn't, since it's not a problem for them.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:40 am

I'd disagree. Based on my own life experiences but perceptions understandably differ between individuals.
Having a father that drinks most days but has worked his whole life, purchased his own house and been married more years than I care to mention and has no major health problems and a friend that literally drank himself to death in a few years I have my own definitions to what constitutes an alcoholic.
I'm not saying you're wrong, antiriad, just that I don't agree.
Last edited by gman72 on Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:47 am, edited 2 times in total.