4%
Tequila
No votes

Total votes: 48

gman72

Let's talk about booze.

Post by gman72 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:01 pm

Just a quick poll about lovely booze.
Of an evening I love a cold beer or maybe a can of Jack D and coke. I normally only have a drink at weekends though.
What's everyone else's fave drinks and why.
Not a thread for heavy debate about the social and medical effects of booze either.
Just a bit of fun for those of us who like a tipple from time to time. :D
Last edited by gman72 on Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Megamixer

Re: Let's talk about booze.

Post by Megamixer » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:07 pm

Mainly just ales, stouts, bitters etc. for me.

Not a lager or 'general' beer fan. I can drink it but they all taste the same to me and bar the odd exception (Asahi for example), I would never go out and buy some.

Wine...all tastes the same to me. Had various varieties over the years and can't really discern the difference :oops:

Rarely have any spirits either apart from the odd whisky.

Some of the fruit flavoured ciders are nice (such as Rekorderlig) but I can't seem to drink too much cider without feeling really ill...
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:01 pm

Used to quite like a beer or ten.Cant drink more than two units a week now though because of pills I have to take.Dont miss it though.Although occasionly crave a nice cold can of special brew or bottle of newcie brown on a summers evening.My fave shorts were either irish whiskey(preferably bushmills) and lemonade or a gin and tonic.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:20 pm

Jdanddiet.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:22 pm

I actually don't drink! I avoided it in principle during high school (everyone that did drink was a complete jerk) and as I've gotten older I've just never seen the attraction. Partly I can't bear to imagine being drunk/not in direct control of my actions.

I'm not militant about it, I'm always around people that are drinking (and always the DD :roll: ) and maybe one day will get the 'urge'.

What amazes me is that when people find out I don't drink they gawk at me like I'm a freak, then decide it must be because I'm religious, failing that I must be a liar. :lol:

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:25 pm

These days, it's mainly real ale. All types : IPA, Porter, Mild, Stout, Saison, etc. I do occasionally have lager - but from one of the better brands(e.g. Peroni) - as I find it very gassy these days and it makes you burp too much.

I do like red wine as well. Tend to have it more with a meal. I seem to Chianti, Shiraz and Merlot.

As for spirits - I really only drink gin. It does go well in cocktails. I like a nice gin and tonic. I'd probably say that Bombay Sapphire was my favourite gin. I do quite like the newish Beefeater 24 as well.

stvd

Post by stvd » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:29 pm

I don't really drink much any more. Special occasions.
Not for any particular reason just got less and less until I virtually stopped.
I had a pint yesterday (at a funeral), my first since new years day!
Next week I'll be in Portugal so I'll probably have a drink with dinner in the evening then a few vodkas later on.
When I was younger I had phases of
Lager
Gin & tonic
Rusty nails
Tequila slammers
Jack Daniels (on its own :D )
My best was a 40oz bottle of Bacardi which I drank within 5 mins -and woke up in hospital.
Stupid? Totally. But I was the talk of the school! :D

stvd

Post by stvd » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:31 pm

Rayne wrote:Partly I can't bear to imagine being drunk/not in direct control of my actions.

What amazes me is that when people find out I don't drink they gawk at me like I'm a freak, then decide it must be because I'm religious, failing that I must be a liar. :lol:
SNAP! Except the religious bit... :)

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:49 pm

Whiskey. And more preferably the scarcer varieties. Not terribly interested in the majority on a supermarket shelf. Got 12 bottles on the go at the moment; and I would add that these have been purchased during the last 4 years, so am really taking my time to enjoy them.

SCOTLAND
Ardbeg 10yr
The Glenlivet 12yr
Glen Ord 30yr

SWEDEN
Mackmyra: The 1st Edition

CANADA
Crown Royal

JAPAN
Nikka Pure Malt
Yoichi 12yr
Kirin 50*
Kirin Single Grain
Suntory Single Grain "Chita"
Suntory Single Malt [special]
Suntory Old

Favourite whiskey has been Amrut Fusion from India.

And I drink neat. There'll be none of this nonsense of adding water, ice, or blending with coke or fruit juices etc. And as for the stuff that is already a concoction.... <shakes head>

I do like the odd beer, though. But only Belgian Trappist.

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:52 pm

I love the occassional scotch. I can't stand bourbon, though. If I am drinking with a meal, I usually go for wine.

When I was younger I really liked lager, but I just don't enjoy it these days.

David

Post by David » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:00 pm

I drank 2-3 litres of cheapo white cider, almost every single day, from the ages of 15-18.

total alkie during my last couple of school years

have barely touched a drink since then

David

Post by David » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:01 pm

working in the city centre at nights, surrounded by drunken morons has also put me off it

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:53 pm

Sputryk wrote:Whiskey. And more preferably the scarcer varieties. Not terribly interested in the majority on a supermarket shelf. Got 12 bottles on the go at the moment; and I would add that these have been purchased during the last 4 years, so am really taking my time to enjoy them.

SCOTLAND
Ardbeg 10yr
The Glenlivet 12yr
Glen Ord 30yr

SWEDEN
Mackmyra: The 1st Edition

CANADA
Crown Royal

JAPAN
Nikka Pure Malt
Yoichi 12yr
Kirin 50*
Kirin Single Grain
Suntory Single Grain "Chita"
Suntory Single Malt [special]
Suntory Old

Favourite whiskey has been Amrut Fusion from India.

And I drink neat. There'll be none of this nonsense of adding water, ice, or blending with coke or fruit juices etc. And as for the stuff that is already a concoction.... <shakes head>

I do like the odd beer, though. But only Belgian Trappist.
Quite the serious Whiskey drinker then. It's clear you take it seriously. I'm a Jack Daniels man myself... with coke but can neat it if needs be.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:55 pm

I enjoy the odd G&T, white wine (sauvignon blanc or Gavi), red wine (shiraz), Prosecco. I like some cold fizzy ciders as well. Indian lagers can be quite refreshing to wash down a curry as well.

The thread creator is a bit of an idiot though, since the alcohol thread here he has stated that no big discussion should be of the health implications, but the identical one he created for cannabis, he immediately posted a link about the health concerns and made some statements following it, rather than pleasure and enjoyment of using it (like he has done here for alcohol), and put no stipulations about what should be discussed.

Just wanted to add some balance here, and pointing out the obvious troll bias.

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:29 pm

When I started drinking at 16 we went with the classics: hooch, 20\20, Mac and Ernies....

And then the usual, Carling, Fosters, Strongow etc.

Now I very rarely drink. Maybe twice a year, sometimes not even that. I did have some awesome cocktails recently when we went to Turtle Bay. Marley Mojitos, rude boys, daiquiris, buffalo soilders.... And getting up at 4 the next morning for work felt like someone sh!t in my head.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81