Game of Thrones

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

crusto

Game of Thrones

Post by crusto » Tue May 19, 2015 8:15 pm

I didn't think I would like this, so purposely avoided watching it in the past. Around 2 weeks ago out of boredom and curiosity I watched the first episode, and now realise I was sorely mistaken! Thanks to a good few late nights I'm totally up to date on series 5 and am gutted I have to wait like everyone else for the next episode. I think it is so excellent that it simply has to have its own thread.

Tyrian is my hero!

Anybody read the books? Opinions if you have please as I'm thinking of getting them for my up coming holiday..

Eat your nans pants

markopoloman

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by markopoloman » Tue May 19, 2015 8:38 pm

I wish people would stop posting about this being good. I've been avoiding it for the same reasons as you!

Suppose I should give it a go...
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed May 20, 2015 12:18 am

Game of thrones is crap

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Wed May 20, 2015 2:31 am

crusto wrote:I didn't think I would like this, so purposely avoided watching it in the past. Around 2 weeks ago out of boredom and curiosity I watched the first episode, and now realise I was sorely mistaken! Thanks to a good few late nights I'm totally up to date on series 5 and am gutted I have to wait like everyone else for the next episode. I think it is so excellent that it simply has to have its own thread.

Tyrian is my hero!

Anybody read the books? Opinions if you have please as I'm thinking of getting them for my up coming holiday..
I've read the books, it can be a bit confusing at first as every chapter tends to be from a different characters point of view, but it's good. If you took all the books with you you'd probably go over your baggage allowance though.

This series is the first one where they've taken a different route from the books slightly, certain characters who's actions are crucial to how the story develops in the novels have had their actions given to established characters in the tv show, I'm assuming for reasons of cast size and ease of filming, but I'm not that bothered. Unless they start showing Jon Snow having any luck with anything, then I'll know they've gone too far...

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed May 20, 2015 4:15 am

Treguard wrote:If you took all the books with you you'd probably go over your baggage allowance though.
eReaders ftw :)

Just bought myself a new Kindle as my ageing Sony eReader is starting to get flakey. Not read these books yet, may make a start next week as I'm taking the first couple with me.

imo, this is the series people should be watching instead of Breaking Bad. There's no fly episodes here. Every one is packed with significant stuff, though you may not realise until later.

Not one to watch with the kids (though my youngest is hooked, she was mighty miffed when her Sky went down the day before the premiere episode a few weeks ago).
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed May 20, 2015 4:42 am

Haven't watched the TV series but I'm mid-way through the sixth book from a the current seven and they are great. I'd certainly recommend at least trying the first one as you can get it for a few quid in places like ASDA.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Wed May 20, 2015 6:40 am

Game Of Thrones is fantastic been watching the TV series and reading the books, on the last two now. I think the books are defiantly worth reading, certain character stories go off in different directions that is not the same as the TV series, you will get a "Truer" picture of how it all works together. Picked up all the books on the Kindle during a sale, think it was a few quid for all them.

Bronn and Ramsay Bolton are my favourite characters in the TV series, such great one liners :lol:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed May 20, 2015 8:05 am

Amazing to see how far Bronn has come since starring in Soldier Soldier, he's a proper respectable actor now with some real character about him.

A bit of a change for Ramsay too, after Misfits, he's scary now. I think he's the most terrifying character in the show, an utter sadist.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Wed May 20, 2015 10:06 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Amazing to see how far Bronn has come since starring in Soldier Soldier, he's a proper respectable actor now with some real character about him.

A bit of a change for Ramsay too, after Misfits, he's scary now. I think he's the most terrifying character in the show, an utter sadist.
I didn't recognise it was the same actor until somebody pointed out the name to me, I knew it was the same bloke who play the Sargent in Ripper Street, similar hard nosed character.

Don't know what Ramsay has stared in before but he is a really twisted individual in GOT, it is the facial expressions that make him more sinister, he really enjoys torturing people physically and mentally. Not finished to books yet but I get the feeling Reek will get his revenge.

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed May 20, 2015 1:28 pm

Ramsay Bolton is extremely creepy and terrifically played.

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed May 20, 2015 1:56 pm

Decided to give it a go after it was recommended by a guy at work and it's regularly advertised on websites as the most popular tv series.

Watched the 1st episode and that was enough. Not for me. :?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed May 20, 2015 2:17 pm

You have piqued my curiosity. Why was it not for you? I don't mind that you don't like it, just wondered what the reasoning was. And with that, do you watch other fantasy stuff?

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed May 20, 2015 2:20 pm

TV show is brilliant, books are even better, they are truly epic.

If you start reading the books now the big advantage you have is that you can read them one after the other, when they were first released there were huge gaps between some of the books.

One thing to note though, as good as the TV show is, it has massive changes to the books, lots of characters are missing and some have completely different storylines. It doesn't bother me as it makes some events a bit unexpected but there are lots of book readers who really don't like the show and the changes to characters/events.

If you do read the books you will read lots that you will have never seen on screen and realise lots on screen (including big events) never happened in the books.

I would recommend the show and books to anyone.

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed May 20, 2015 2:27 pm

I love me some Game of Thrones.

I'm half way through reading the first book and am really enjoying it, however it is basically the same as the first season as far as i've read and can tell, so it could feel like too much of a re-tread for some people, especially if you've just recently watched the first season. I have picked up a few little tidbits I didn't catch from watching the show the first time round. It's also good to go over the historical bits again that get talked about, to get a better idea of the who did what before the books/show started. I think watching the show first probably helped as the book does throw a lot of names and characters at you, being able to put a face to most them helps.

If you like the show and quite fancy re-visiting it then the books seem like a good way to do that and should make good holiday fodder, apparently the latter books do differ from the show more. The first book is 700+ pages so you'd probably only need the first one or two.

From reading the first book I've realised just how well casted the show has been, so many characters are completely nailed by the actors that portray them. I was worried Tyrion might not be as cool in the book as he is in the show but he's just as good.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed May 20, 2015 2:33 pm

stvd wrote:Decided to give it a go after it was recommended by a guy at work and it's regularly advertised on websites as the most popular tv series.

Watched the 1st episode and that was enough. Not for me. :?
Fair enough. I remember not being blown away by the first episode, but by the second or third I was hooked. I find that with most tv shows though, it's very hard to wow the audience in the first episode and still tell a paced story, I usually try to give things 2-3 episodes if I can.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823