Red Dwarf... 2 new series!

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

markopoloman

Red Dwarf... 2 new series!

Post by markopoloman » Sun May 03, 2015 2:17 pm

I don't care what anyone else says, I liked the last series of Red Dwarf and even thought Back to Earth was better than average too.

So the news that Craig Charles is quitting Corrie to make another 2 series of Red Dwarf is AWESOME :D

Got to wait till 2016/17 for them though.....

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/05 ... _hp_ref=uk
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Negative Creep

Re: Red Dwarf... 2 new series!

Post by Negative Creep » Sun May 03, 2015 6:23 pm

Mixed feelings: series 1-6 were classics, 7 and 8 a disaster, Back to Earth Dull but X was a step in the right direction. Main problem for me is it stopped being a comedy drama and became a sitcom that lacked the heart of the early series and relied too much on worn out tropes such as Lister being on hold for ages, two characters having a conversation thinking the other is talking about someone else etc

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun May 03, 2015 7:17 pm

Negative Creep wrote:Mixed feelings: series 1-6 were classics, 7 and 8 a disaster, Back to Earth Dull but X was a step in the right direction. Main problem for me is it stopped being a comedy drama and became a sitcom that lacked the heart of the early series and relied too much on worn out tropes such as Lister being on hold for ages, two characters having a conversation thinking the other is talking about someone else etc
For me , it stopped being fun after series V. As soon as the cast start to parody themselves and start to be nicer to Rimmer, it ceased to be what it was originally intended as. I do think that the last series was a return to form.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Sun May 03, 2015 8:16 pm

I pretty much like them all, with the exception of 1 episode in the last series, the one with Jesus in it. I found that one offensive.

Looking forward to the new episodes :)

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Mon May 04, 2015 4:03 am

I'm looking forward to it, whilst the newer series is not of the standard of old classic Red Dwarf, its still better than most crap they put on TV nowadays. I read an article on it yesterday, I love the way its as if Corrie is the only thing he does. He still does his Funk & Soul Radio show on 6music and plenty of live DJ sets & Festivals etc, which is his main passion nowadays. He has hit 50 & I think just ringing some changes in his life.

It would be nice though for there to be some sort of conclusion to Red Dwarf eventually.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon May 04, 2015 4:26 am

c0nfu53d wrote:I pretty much like them all, with the exception of 1 episode in the last series, the one with Jesus in it. I found that one offensive.
But it was only A Jesus, not THE Jesus.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon May 04, 2015 7:00 am

I thought Dear Dave was the generally accepted "bad" episode of X, not Lemons.
I enjoyed the last series enough to buy the Blu-Ray - which considering I will never even think about purchasing VII, VIII or Back To Earth - is a compliment. As long as they find a better way of hiding the budget constraints and leave out any questionably-accented vending machines, I'm in.

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon May 04, 2015 7:20 am

Back to Earth was terrible - completely ruined by Danny John-Jules' terrible stilted delivery of his lines.
The last series was a lot better; better than some of the later original stuff. The worst part of it I thought was dropping in a new character with no introduction - Hoagie/Hogey - who's treated as if he's been there all along.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon May 04, 2015 6:06 pm

We need Holly back.

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue May 05, 2015 6:43 am

Series 8 was a bad one, and Back to Earth was even worse, but all the rest were good to excellent.

I'm very happy about this news. I was actually looking for RD news about a week ago and it was looking like it might not happen.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue May 05, 2015 8:35 am

Which series (or episodes) was it when they dropped the audience? I'm not pro-canned laughter (stuff like the Office and Curb Your Enthusiasm are great without it), but the show really struggled without the laughter. It felt like they left small gaps in after jokes just so they could add in a laughter track, but never got round to it. Felt really awkward as a result.

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Tue May 05, 2015 8:57 am

Red Dwarf... 2 new series!, so awesome. i thought the last series was brilliant, got the series right back on track and I've been waiting for this news. "Marvelous"
Scott me up beamie!

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue May 05, 2015 1:56 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:Which series (or episodes) was it when they dropped the audience? I'm not pro-canned laughter (stuff like the Office and Curb Your Enthusiasm are great without it), but the show really struggled without the laughter. It felt like they left small gaps in after jokes just so they could add in a laughter track, but never got round to it. Felt really awkward as a result.

Pretty sure it was 7 onwards - they had a bigger budget so did more location shooting. However the average CGi had none of the charm of the crappy models they used before

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Tue May 05, 2015 2:48 pm

For me the magic has gone, it was all down hill after series 6. After Rob Grant left then it it just became something meh for me. I still watch them, however its not like the first six series. However saying that I am not sure how much this has to do with me getting older and looking back to the "great" TV when I was a kid
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Wed May 06, 2015 9:20 am

I love 1-4, my favorite show as a kid, 5 and 6 were good and the new series was alright. The others weren't so hot. I think the worst thing is when a show starts parodying itself. Rather than coming up with new jokes, just rehashing the old ones. LIke remember this from series 3, we're doing it again, isn't that funny? Its also gotten a bit too silly in places.

I'll deffo catch the new series though.