Artcade book

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

Artcade book

Post by psj3809 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:42 am

Anyone waiting for this book ? Anyone donate to the kickstarter ?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wo ... p-art-book

Looks an amazing book but damn its taking ages. The lack of updates from the creator (takes seconds to write something) and lack of comments from the creator is starting to make me panic a bit

My sister 'bought' me this back in Jan 2014, now nearly a year and a half later still nothing. Wouldnt mind if there were more updates, another company will apparently be publishing this now which is frustrating as we were told it would be out late March to kickstarters but nothing. Been weeks now and not a word from the guy.

Tried sending a message to his twitter account but nothing, his facebook group for the books dead as well. Would love to get the book and think i've been patient but the lack of updates to everyone who gave money to his kickstarter is frustrating as anything

Greyfox

Re: Artcade book

Post by Greyfox » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:08 am

I was wondering this myself, something drastic must of happened or something fell through during the production process or worse something in his personal life may of taken hold?

From Febuary 2015

This is the latest one he did mate.
..I'm extremely happy to be able to share a bunch of information with you :-)

Item 1: I have a publication date in writing.

It's not as soon as I'd have liked, but it's official and the announcement is being pushed out to online and traditional booksellers in the second week of January. Right now, I'm just happy to have a date. The book will officially be available on 27th March 2015, with shipments to all backers (Kickstarter and direct) a week before that.

The book will now have more pages (232 vs 208) and feature a fold-out section too.

The ebook version will be made available at the same time as the physical version and will be hosted for downloads by the publisher.

Item 2: All of the framed marquee prints have now shipped. Many have already arrived and more should be turning up all over the world this week. Each box contains a framed print, a t-shirt and the British IBM CD.

Item 3: The sideart canvasses haven't shipped yet. I'm frustrated by this, but the printer I usually use has changed their setup to favour large format poster printing rather than canvas and I've had to find another supplier. I've actually found someone locally with the right equipment and I'll be picking up the canvasses and dropping them off with the framer at the end of the week. I'll ship them as they're completed by 2-3 day courier.

Item 4: The artcade.co.uk domain has been signed over to the publisher for promotional use for the next year. I believe that I'll still receive email sent to tim@artcade.co.uk, but the URL will soon point to a site promoting the book, along with the 'thank you' pages featuring the names of backers and others who helped to make the book happen. My website has moved to a new domain: arcadeart.co.uk and it's probably safer to email me at help@arcadeart.co.uk

That's everything 'official'. A few other things have happened that I'll share with you: I've been asked to do another volume of the book and I've turned that down for the moment; I can't think about that until this one is in everyone's hands. Now that the publication date is set and the bulk of the artwork rewards are shipped, I can actually look at arcade stuff without cringing, so I'm doing some pieces for magazines, one for TV and I'm working on more restorations of the remaining 3,671 pieces in the archive that aren't yet done!

It's been a tough one. Things haven't gone the way I planned at all and there have been times that I didn't handle my own disappointment and I suppose, shame, very well at all. To those few I've disappointed and who decided to leave the project; I sincerely apologise and understand. To those who were disappointed and stuck with me through all of this; both an apology and a truly heartfelt thank you. This has always felt like our book, rather than just mine and that's what made me keep going when things got really tough.

A very happy non-denominational winter celebratory period to you all :-)

Take care, don't drink & drive and wear a condom (not necessarily all at the same time!)

Tim
And here is the website http://arcadeart.co.uk/
↓↓Click Link to See More
http://www.greyfoxbooks.com

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:52 am

Yeah i must admit i was expecting something late March. Problem is if hes 'sold' this to this other company to publish/print it then i'm sure they'll do it when they want.

I just think a few updates on the comments section take minutes to do, just the same amount of time which he uses to send his tweets out about other stuff.

Frustrating

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:55 am

I backed this in October 2013... Still waiting patiently, actually had a quick look at the kickstarter for an update the other day for the first time in ages. Latest is this, which is from the comments section:
Tim Nicholls wrote:Guys,
I've been holding off posting here while frantically trying to work out the details so I'd have some answers for you. I don't have those right now, but I'm working hard to sort things out. I can tell you that the publication date will definitely be pushed out beyond the 27th, mainly due to some serious personal/family circumstances that mean I just can't commit the necessary time to do the promotional activities the marketing people want from me. In any other situation, I'd do whatever it takes to get the book out, but right now, I just can't be away and certainly not out of the country.
I need to be home with my family.
The editor I'm working with is trying to be as supportive as she can, while balancing the commercial interests of the publishers. We're working it out, but at this point I simply don't have a revised date to give you. They don't want to do the print run until everything is planned out around the promotional stuff (understandable) and I just don't know yet what I can commit to and when. We're not arguing; just negotiating.
The canvas prints are finally being stretched this week and I'll be around next week to get them shipped out. I have to say, the quality of the printing is actually better than the original company I used to use - they look spectacular. I'm shipping the replacement framed marquees out today to the three backers whose first shipments went missing.
As soon as I know anything at all about schedules etc. I'll post short updates here. I won't wait until I have all the answers as that leaves long gaps with no word from me and I know that makes some people uncomfortable.
As an aside, I heard from the Official Receiver this week that the print company I was originally working with has now been shut down by the courts and their assets have been liquidated. Unfortunately, because the deposit I paid to their sales agent never went 'through the books', I'm not considered to be an official creditor and will get nothing back.
In a strangely ironic twist, the things that are making it hard for me to commit to promoting it, have actually made getting the book out even more time-critical than it already was. I promise you I have all the motivation I need.
Thank you all for the support and for sticking it out all the way through this.
Tim
Original anticipated delivery said December 2013 :lol: :shock: :o

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:24 am

Well at least its something, changes nothing, but something none the less, I had a suspicion its delay was part in part personal, it seem every single road block that could of happened has, I never got a chance to back this project at the time, and was considering a retail purchase therafter, but by the looks of that, its gonna be awhile :(
↓↓Click Link to See More
http://www.greyfoxbooks.com

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:34 am

Yeah, if I hadn't gone through an almost unbelievable set of personal circumstances myself in the last 6 months or so, I might be a bit more suspicious/skeptical.
Since in that time, my mum (knee replacement), my older brother (tyroid cancer spread to lymphoma), my younger brother (atrial fibrilation), and my dad (plastocytoma/cancerous tumours on the spine, who sadly didn't survive it) have all been in to hospital at once, I'd pretty much believe anything for now...
:shock: :?

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:43 am

I didn't donate to this but I'm curious, if the project does not get off the ground do the donators get their money back? You see so many things funded by kickstarters and the like these days could their be a con involved in some of them?
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:23 am

gman72 wrote:I didn't donate to this but I'm curious, if the project does not get off the ground do the donators get their money back? You see so many things funded by kickstarters and the like these days could their be a con involved in some of them?
Well one 'famous' kickstarter was the Icontrolpad 2 (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... controller)

The guy who created it was behind the Pandora handheld and also obviously Icontrolpad 1. Both of which did well. Remember seeing Craig Rothwell at the Blackpool show a few years back when the Pandora had just come out

Funny thing is back in the late 90's i remember seeing an advert for Speccy emulator/roms (when emulators were all 'new') so i sent off a cheque. Didnt hear a thing back, had to nag him constantly and threaten to pick it up myself (and charge him petrol money) for this and finally received it.

Its terrible what happened with this kickstarter, apparently they're offering old icontrolpads in return or 'some' money back of peoples donations but not much. The guy seems to have done a 'runner', hasnt been heard of despite having a large share of that huge amount of money

http://kickscammed.com/project/icontrol ... uct-3-llc/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IControlPad#iControlPad_2

If you ever see Craigs name associated to anything in the future stay away. Shocking what happened there, just daylight robbery and theft.

But basically Kickstarter wont refund you, its up to you to donate money, its not a firm 100% handshake that you'll get the device at the end of the time its promised to be delivered. I think the vast vast majority of kickstarters are fine but once you get robbed like this one it totally puts you off.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:31 pm

This delay is just a drop in the Ocean compared to From Bedrooms to Billions. I backed that on Indiegogo before Kickstarter was around and it only arrived recently.

Books can take a while. It isn't silly expensive, I can wait, I'm sure it'll be nice once it gets here. In the meantime, I'm really not missing the money.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:16 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:This delay is just a drop in the Ocean compared to From Bedrooms to Billions. I backed that on Indiegogo before Kickstarter was around and it only arrived recently.
So did I, actually, I backed the original Indiegogo campaign. Although not sure about your comment on KS. Do you just mean the UK arm? KS has been around since 2009.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:44 pm

I've never backed a kickstarter so I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to them, is the spending of the raised cash transparent? IE we spent 1000 pounds on this and 3500 on that etc. So backers can do the sums for themselves with regards to how much was spent on what. I don't know but I kind of think these things are taking over everything and there might be room in them to basically rip people off.
Last edited by gman72 on Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:45 pm

It's like Dragons Den, but we're the dragons. We're promised something in return for our investment, but there is no commitment or legal requirement to deliver. I've backed about 30 projects so far, and pretty much all have delivered over time, bar a few delays (like the Artcade book, and the Hewson book).
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:13 pm

I am a backer on this one. I have been following this for a while.
Tims last post on the kickstarter
"Despite everything, I'm filled with renewed passion for our little book. Some very nice people have sent me such great messages of support, offers of help (more than one of them offering to cover the cost of publishing the whole thing!) that I can't help but feel positive.
I travelled to see my Mum on Sunday. It's tough to see my original gaming partner sitting there so ill, but my interest in old games is all because of her and she's all the motivation I need to get this book out into the world, one way or another.
I will never, ever quit."

However this was back in March 16th and nothing since. He is still posting to twitter (last on was on Monday)
His arcade art site is still (http://www.arcadeart.co.uk/) up and selling the cool framed prints (I own the Outrun one).
I think we will see the book but as to when well thats the question
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

Wigpopmagic

Post by Wigpopmagic » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:34 pm

Pre-ordered the book after the kickstarter finished, that was probably 18 months ago. Since then, I think I've had one email updating me on progress. Tried emailing Tim, no response. Can't help but feeling he has ripped me off - especially considering the lack of updates on KS. But yet he is able to post on Twitter!

I ordered From Bedrooms To Billions in the same way. Yes, that way massively delayed - but at least we were kept informed.

I don't mind delays, I just want to know what's going on!

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:11 am

People are starting to get very unhappy on the kickstarter comments. Tim is seeing them (his last log in was Wednesday) just he is not responding. As for twitter he was on 4 hours ago chatting about classic cars.
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image