Top Gear's Clarkson Axed

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

DPrinny

Re: Top Gear's Clarkson Axed

Post by DPrinny » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:26 am

He was mildly entertaining in TFIFriday

ONLY MILDLY!!
This was back when Channel four used to have sitcoms on instead of people sitting watching them

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:38 am

DPrinny wrote:He was mildly entertaining in TFIFriday

ONLY MILDLY!!
This was back when Channel four used to have sitcoms on instead of people sitting watching them
I think he was huge and relevant when lad culture was big in the 90s and early 2000s.

Are you now referring to Gogglebox with the dig at Channel 4??

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:41 am

I'm no huge fan of Chris Evans but he was great years back when he was in the Big Breakfast which are the time was quite revolutionary for breakfast TV

He was brilliant for TFI Friday for a good chunk in the 90's until he sold out, stopped having indie bands and britpop and instead had Spice Girls/Michael Barrymore/Boyzone, no wonder the series ended soon after

The comeback shows been good, live music which you dont see much on TV anymore apart from Jools Holland and some decent guests. Was always surprised when he was announced as host of Top Gear. To be fair after Clarkson it would be near impossible to get someone that the majority of Top Gear fans liked

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:55 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
DPrinny wrote:He was mildly entertaining in TFIFriday

ONLY MILDLY!!
I think he was huge and relevant when lad culture was big in the 90s and early 2000s.

Are you now referring to Gogglebox with the dig at Channel 4??
The only mildly entertaining thing C4 has on these days is the last leg

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:48 pm

Never found Chris Evans funny.

Matt Le Blanc was funny in Friends but ever since, he seems like he's been reading from a script really slowly - as if he's bored. Was alright in 'Episodes' though I suppose.

Eddie Jordan was fun on the BBC F1 coverage but I really cannot envision his role in the new Top Gear! A bit of a wild card perhaps.

At least Sabine can really drive (she used to thrash the original TG team!) and knows about cars. Probably the most credible of the new team if they do 'proper' car features/reviews.

Never heard of the other two.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:44 pm

The new Top Gear might have problems at first - what with viewers expectations about replacing Clarkson and so on. I suspect it might actually take more viewers than Clarkson's Amazon Prime Show in the UK - but worldwide, I think Clarkson will win that one.

As for Evans - like Clarkson, he is a bit of a maverick. That could cause problems. Remember all that fuss about not getting Friday off of his BBC Radio Show, to do TFI Friday back in the 1990s?

It's going be interesting to see what happens to both shows.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:21 am

Katzkatz wrote:
As for Evans - like Clarkson, he is a bit of a maverick. That could cause problems. Remember all that fuss about not getting Friday off of his BBC Radio Show, to do TFI Friday back in the 1990s?

I'm no fan of Evans, but I guess he has grown up a bit since back then. He was a relatively young and very rich man back then during an era of lad culture, with a circle of alcoholic friends (Gazza and Jimmy five bellies!) Now he's much tamer, settled down, young children etc and he is almost 50.

I believe he now works fridays for both his radio show, the One Show and on occasion TFI Friday. He is now a workaholic rather than one of the alco-variety.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:17 am

Katzkatz wrote:

That episode about not wanting to work fridays was in the mid 90's nearly 20 years ago! Dont think Evans is the same as he was then, as Sep says he works tons, is much calmer, dont read tabloid crap about him etc. Bit unfair to judge him the same as 20 years ago

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun May 29, 2016 5:43 pm

So it wasn't that bad was it? I actually really liked Matt LeBlanc (thought he was really funny) and the new off-road bits for the track were cool. Would definitely watch the next episodes at least.

Only negatives:

- Chris Evans...just really annoying and shouty. Not funny
- The other 4 presenters look like they will be just be part timers. The other two blokes were doing some follow-up programme online for BBC3 that I wasn't interested in.
- Evans referencing the 'canteen' and stopping himself from re-using old phrases was a bit cringeworthy

Overall I think there is potential but they will need to gradually add some originality and find some convincing comradrie. The first episode certainly feels a little bit like an imitation of the previous run and the challenges felt like going through the motions and being forced to watch somebody else use the same formula. Not terrible though and I'll be tuning in next Sunday for No.2.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sun May 29, 2016 9:45 pm

Hmmm, I watched on Iplayer - and thought, hmmm, they've changed the presenters, but not the format. Evans didn't seem comfortable in his role. He did seem to be trying to copy Clarkson. Le Blanc felt a lot more natural and his pieces to the camera seemed to be better.

Judgement is still out on it, but I was surprised at how familiar the show felt. Not sure that was a wise choice, as I think under Clarkson and co. it was beginning to look a bit tired in its format. I was expecting it to be different to what it was. Still - early days yet.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon May 30, 2016 3:07 am

Everyone forgets just how awkward the show was when they brought it back in 2002 - they got rid of the fat bloke (Jason something) at the end of the first series and Hammond nearly went too. May needed the best part of two series to bed in as well. Not to mention how tight the budget was until about the time Hammond recovered from his crash - the show was cheap and it looked it.

Just get Chris to STOP SHOUTING and making in-jokes, Matt a little more comfortable in the studio and a bigger role for Sabine and there might be something worth persevering with.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Mon May 30, 2016 3:18 am

The hammering it's getting on Twitter is slightly amusing.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Mon May 30, 2016 6:34 am

Just watched it, and its just as mediocre and staged as it was before. They replaced one censored of a presenter with another censored of a presenter. They really took no chances of freshening things up for Top Gear.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Mon May 30, 2016 10:04 am

Sephiroth81 wrote: They really took no chances of freshening things up for Top Gear.
^This. Yep, I was just surprised at how close to the format of the show under Clarkson and co. they sticked to. Maybe I'm being a bit critical, but Evans was known for taking risks in TV(what with Don't Forget Your Toothbrush and his TFI Friday shows). Maybe, it'll develop over time.

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon May 30, 2016 10:30 am

Megamixer wrote: The other two blokes were doing some follow-up programme online for BBC3 that I wasn't interested in.
I'm hoping that Chris Harris isn't going to be relegated to just presenting on that follow up show as he is the one presenter the car enthusiasts where happy to see get picked up for TG. He's wrote for EVO magazine, Pistonheads and is probably most well known recently for his YouTube channel 'Chris Harris on cars'.

Watching him wrestle the Nomad around the test track was better than anything on the main show.