Top Gear's Clarkson Axed

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Sephiroth81

Top Gear's Clarkson Axed

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:32 pm

So, unsurprisingly Jeremy Clarkson has been fired (or not has his contract renewed) by the BBC for Top Gear.

I'm glad he was fired. I know he made the show incredibly popular and entertaining, but he left the BBC with no choice, he assaulted a colleague both verbally and physically (sending him to A&E), and humiliating him in front of other colleagues and people in that hotel. Its lucky he's not had charges pressed against him and only lost his job.

I feel the Top Gear format has become a bit stale in recent years, even if its still popular (but then again, so is BBC Radio 2's Steve Wright Show), a freshen up, new ideas, new presenters would be welcome. I know people don't really like change, but i think it had to come eventually.

I'm no fan of Piers Morgan either, but he must be feeling somewhat smug that Clarkson has been fired, since Clarkson gloated about Morgans sacking by CNN last year (which was pretty low, irrespective of opinions on Morgan).

Of course Jeremy Clarkson will go on to do another big show, and make millions more from this, and so will his two clones May and Hammond. To be honest, I found that Clarkson had become too big for his own boots, chauvinistic, cantankerous and insufferable in recent years (he was always this way, but it became more apparent in later years). He said that Piers Morgan was the first person in his life he has punched....well clearly that moment changed him and he has become more aggressive and violent. Perhaps he needs to seek therapy.

sirpigmeat

Re: Top Gear's Clarkson Axed

Post by sirpigmeat » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:43 pm

Despite not caring about cars at all I quite liked the show for awhile. Haven't watched it in ages, it was getting boring and that schtick about lazy mexicans rubbed me the wrong way.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:51 pm

sirpigmeat wrote:Despite not caring about cars at all I quite liked the show for awhile. Haven't watched it in ages, it was getting boring and that schtick about lazy mexicans rubbed me the wrong way.
Exactly, there is over political correctness, and there is downright rude and ignorant stereotyping and they crossed the line many times. They're out of touch, white, wealthy british, beyond middle-aged men who genuinely hold archaic views they wish to share to the world irresponsibly. I'm sure they play up to it to a point for effect, but theres no getting away from it that Clarkson is a typical Daily Mail reading tory boy (at least now he is, now that he is rich) who shares his backward views of the world.

I love Mexican food and culture, and just because Clarkson and Hammond enjoy the same tedious Bangers and Mash slop served up at quaint west country pubs every weekend with David Cameron, doesn't make them better than those that actually want to use their tastebuds properly!

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:10 pm

About time. He could be as outrageous in his opinions as he liked for all I care, but the racism was flat-out unacceptable. And if he wasn't professional enough to exploit one without the other constantly coming up then he didn't deserve his ridiculous salary.

The other two have already carved themselves out alternate presenting careers so their opinions and attachment to Top Gear strikes me as completely irrelevant.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:15 pm

Good.

I do not care who you are as soon as you
assaulted a colleague both verbally and physically (sending him to A&E), and humiliating him in front of other colleagues
you are out the door.

No doubt he will be on Channel 5 soon with a "new motoring show" - Bottom Gear ?
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:01 pm

Exactly, its not the last we will hear about Jeremy Clarkson, and it probably will elevate his career, and certainly will end up helping his bank balance as he prostitutes his "brand" of humour to the next highest bidder.

While the assistant producer who got assaulted and humiliated (and didn't even press charges), will probably end up not having quite as successful career as he could have and probably have to endure a load of hate mail because people are small minded morons. If only he could just sorted out the primma donna's food, and not had his nose in the direct vicinity of poor Jeremy Clarksons already bruised knuckles. Poor poor Jezza. :|

The Cameron family are also very upset over Jeremy Clarksons dismissal and have publicly spoken out about it. I'm glad that such great man of morals is running the UK. Surely if you are in the old-boys club, you can do whatever the hell you like, including abusing and punching underlings and minions. :roll:

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:23 pm

Clarkson has reached "the end of the road" - pun intended. :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm sure that he be back doing some sort of other programs - and probably with his cohorts - May and Hammond as well. But for Top Gear, he won't be back on - and I'm guessing that he won't be writing for the magazine as well. It will be a culture change.

What is interesting, is that he is still scheduled to appear on Have I Got News For You as guest presenter, some time in May. That will be a lively program.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:25 pm

Katzkatz wrote:
What is interesting, is that he is still scheduled to appear on Have I Got News For You as guest presenter, some time in May. That will be a lively program.
He won't likely face too much backlash in HIGNFY unfortunately, since Ian Hyslop and Jeremy Clarkson are very good mates, and share common goals and hatreds. He's presented Top Gear loads of times, and usually gets a gentle tickling, that you'd expect your mates to do if you did something silly.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:42 pm

he will make a fortune jumping over to sky or any another channel. Clarkson is a real annoyance to the spineless left wing liberals at the bbc who cannot understand how he is so popular with modern Britain.

he's a top bloke and a great presenter

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:48 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:he will make a fortune jumping over to sky or any another channel. Clarkson is a real annoyance to the spineless left wing liberals at the bbc who cannot understand how he is so popular with modern Britain.

he's a top bloke and a great presenter
I think he would have been fired even on whatever station he was presenting on. It was a sackable offence and had nothing to do with "liberals". They had let him get away for years, but punching a colleague and causing him to go to hospital is not acceptable in any workplace. Whether you are a right wing twit or a spineless "lefty".

He's a reasonable presenter, i'll give him that, but his formula had become predictable, and he just came across as a buffoon. A "top bloke"? Hmmmmm....dubious.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:50 pm

You say he is a top bloke but do you actually know him? I doubt it.

I like him as a presenter though. Ultimately he got what he deserved, not that I like the BBC either.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:53 pm

Well, that's one of my favourite programs gone :(
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:00 pm

necronom wrote:Well, that's one of my favourite programs gone :(
It may just make way for a new and better motoring show. Theres only so many times the painfully obvious staged challenges can be done, or them "accidentally" bumping into another car. Its fine for the first couple of years, but its just cliches and old worn slapstick jokes. I feel they almost did it on purpose in the end to see if people who actually make a comment.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:02 pm

The best Top Gear I have seen in years is when they stepped away from the super cars and cliches and did the Rally Cross. Awesome.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:14 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
necronom wrote:Well, that's one of my favourite programs gone :(
It may just make way for a new and better motoring show. Theres only so many times the painfully obvious staged challenges can be done, or them "accidentally" bumping into another car. Its fine for the first couple of years, but its just cliches and old worn slapstick jokes. I feel they almost did it on purpose in the end to see if people who actually make a comment.
good grief! despite being a motoring show it has a huge following of people not hugely interested in cars, it's a very funny show with great camaraderie between the hosts, the notion that a new "motoring show" will just replace it is a nonsense.

isn't it one of the bbc's most successful shows ever, in terms worldwide viewing audience?

people like watching Clarkson, they like his political incorrectness and sticking two fingers up at the spineless liberals, the bbc can't accept his popularity as he doesn't fit with their agenda, they will not be able to get any other motoring show that can do as well.