I had a break in...anyone else?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Megamixer

Re: I had a break in...anyone else?

Post by Megamixer » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:23 pm

junkmale wrote:Thing is that i'm terrified now.
Can't sleep and jump every time i hear even the slightest noise.
When i go out i want to be home and when i'm home i want to go out.
I'm a fairly normal person and am really surprised that it's affected me so badly.
Everyone reacts and deals with things like this in different ways. A few years ago, I was opening up at work with a few others early in the morning and we had no idea a large, organised masked gang was already in the building waiting. Long story short, they kept us there on the floor while they looted the place, constantly making vague threats about "what might happen" etc. etc. When they were done, we were thrown into a room and locked in while they made an escape.

When we finally got out I felt fine and was cracking jokes with the police and all that so outwardly I looked like it hadn't bothered me but opening up at the same time in the mornings after that incident made me feel awful and have mild panic attacks because I was always waiting for it to happen again and wondering if I'd be so lucky to get out unharmed a second time.

It still hits me randomly a few times in a year even today (last time it happened was the evening before going in early the next the day - had to knock back some whisky to calm down!) but I have generally managed to get through it and get back to normal without constantly thinking about what happened. I know it isn't quite the same as having something so awful happen in your own home (where you are supposed to feel safe) but as far as wondering whether you will ever be able to get "back to normal"? You will do; it just certainly won't feel like it yet. I had to force myself to continue going into work early on that same shift because I didn't want the crooks to have "won".

I hope things eventually settle down for you, however long it takes.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

junkmale

Post by junkmale » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:54 pm

Many thanks everyone for your kind and considered comments.
I went to my GP yesterday morning and she has made an urgent referral to Victim Support for me, which should, hopefully help a little.
Still not sleeping very well but i think i'll be a lot happier when the Insurance company finally come to replace the broken doors.
It's been a difficult week which hasn't been helped by an almost total lack of support from family and friends so i really do appreciate all who took the time to post a comment.
Particular thanks to those who sent PM's.
The kindness of complete strangers is overwhelming.

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:30 am

If it helps, think of it like this, once you get struck by lightening, you're pretty much free to go out in a thunderstorm because the chances of getting struck by lightening twice are so slim.

Obviously the odds aren't the same as lightening, but I would imagine the majority of people don't get burgled, so now that it's happened you're statistically less likely to be burgled again. It doesn't mean you can't be burgled again, obviously you still have to lock your doors etc, but statistically the odds should be even more against it happening twice.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:27 am

Goodness me, I am sorry to hear this, sounds terrible, I can't believe how brazen they were to come in and up to your room while you were there. If they were that brazen who knows what they might have done had they got through to you. LIke others have said its unlikely they would target the same place again, particularly as it sounds like they got away with very little considering all their pointless effort.

Some good strong locks would be the first thing I'd probably do afterwards. I can't imagine how it must have felt.

I hope the victim support person also helps.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

Dam

Post by Dam » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:28 pm

pratty wrote:If it helps, think of it like this, once you get struck by lightening, you're pretty much free to go out in a thunderstorm because the chances of getting struck by lightening twice are so slim.
As a mathematician I feel it is my duty to point out that is incorrect. If I'm struck by lightning today, my chances of being struck by lightning again tomorrow will remain exactly the same.

But back on topic, it is unlikely they would target the same place twice though, so I hope you are doing OK, that victim support are of some use and you can get back to normal quickly. I've just started living on my own, and this thread has sent my paranoia into overdrive!

Megamixer - I'd never heard about this, have you mentioned it before? I have heard about things like this at other branches, but its still awful and shocking.

tachi

Post by tachi » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:48 pm

Oh god that sounds terrible!
I had a break in years ago but luckily I was out at the time and came home to my top floor flat totally turned over and most things smashed up, They took all my electricals and swords and were nice enough to make themselves a cup of tea which they left half drunk on the empty TV stand.
I felt ok to be honest but then again I was not chased through my house!
A month later I awoke choking as someone set the building alight and we were trapped in the top floor flat as the internal stairwell collapsed as it burned and there was no way out...had to be rescued by the firemen :)
Ever since then I have reoccuring night terrors of the room being full of smoke.
We lost everything the second time :(
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:31 pm

Dam wrote:
pratty wrote:If it helps, think of it like this, once you get struck by lightening, you're pretty much free to go out in a thunderstorm because the chances of getting struck by lightening twice are so slim.
As a mathematician I feel it is my duty to point out that is incorrect. If I'm struck by lightning today, my chances of being struck by lightning again tomorrow will remain exactly the same.
Ha, I knew somebody would challenge that, I honestly didn't care though if it's not strictly true, my intention was just to put Junkmales mind at ease through the compound probability.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:05 pm

tachi wrote:Oh god that sounds terrible!
I had a break in years ago but luckily I was out at the time and came home to my top floor flat totally turned over and most things smashed up, They took all my electricals and swords and were nice enough to make themselves a cup of tea which they left half drunk on the empty TV stand.
I felt ok to be honest but then again I was not chased through my house!
A month later I awoke choking as someone set the building alight and we were trapped in the top floor flat as the internal stairwell collapsed as it burned and there was no way out...had to be rescued by the firemen :)
Ever since then I have reoccuring night terrors of the room being full of smoke.
We lost everything the second time :(
Holy mother :shock: glad I live one floor up, I can jump :lol:

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:55 pm

Not had a break in at home, but I was held up in an armed robbery at work. 3 guys in balaclavas came in with machetes after all the money we had in store. Luckily nobody was hurt severely except my manager who had been cut on his ear

Its a horrific thing to go through and I can honestly say it still haunts me now. Looking over my shoulder all the time when I go in. It was about 4-5 years ago, but to my knowledge they never got caught. Police weren't great and slow to respond

It has made me and my colleagues more cautious when opening and closing the store now. My advice would be to try and get back to normality as quickly as possible. The longer you dwell on it the harder it gets. Remember that the chances are they were after money/goods and not your life. Possessions can be replaced eventually.

Hope you get back on your feet and don't let this horrendous experience rule you