I had a break in...anyone else?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

junkmale

I had a break in...anyone else?

Post by junkmale » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:58 am

Before i begin i'm NOT looking for the sympathy vote.
Such is the sadness of my so called life i've no one to tell except a lot of total strangers on an internet forum.

Anyway...
I had a break in on Tuesday this week. 3 in the afternoon and i was at home.
They broke down my back door and the internal door between my hall and main room.
I was able to get to my bedroom and lock myself in. Luckily i have locks on all my internal doors.
They came up the stairs and tried to break into my bedroom. I shouted a bit and was able to phone the Police from the phone in my bedroom.
Nothing much taken except a small amount of money but they left a hell of a mess.
Now trying to sort everything out with the Police and the Insurance company (which hasn't been easy).

Thing is that i'm terrified now.
Can't sleep and jump every time i hear even the slightest noise.
When i go out i want to be home and when i'm home i want to go out.
I'm a fairly normal person and am really surprised that it's affected me so badly.

I hope not but has any one else went through anything similar?
How did you cope with it?
How long doe's it take to get back to normal?

markopoloman

Re: I had a break in...anyone else?

Post by markopoloman » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:33 am

Blimey! That sounds terrifying. Did they say anything or were they just looking for valuables?
Never had a break-in so can't comment on what to do... apart from up the security on the external doors? What have the police said, were you the only house targeted?

Hope you get things sorted pronto - would hate to be in a similar situation. :(
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

junkmale

Post by junkmale » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:45 am

It's been an absolute nightmare.
Police have been pretty hopeless to be honest. Promised call backs that haven't happened etc.
They think that because it was during the daytime that they probably thought no one was home and were just looking for cash and nothing else?

I had to wait for hours until a CSI type called with no back door. Very poor from the Police generally.
Never heard anyone speak just really thankful that i had a lock on the bedroom door. They left behind what looked like a pick axe handle and poured bleach everywhere. Took ages to clear it all up and couldn't touch anything until the Police came.

You always hear about things happening to other people and don't really take seriously about how it effects them sometimes i think?
Not coping well at all.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:36 am

I had it happen many years ago, though not quite as scary as yours. My burglar ws very quiet, coming in a widow in the other room while we ere asleep.

They stacked our telly and stuff netly on the floor and only took the VHS from below, so obviously they were fulfilling an order.

Psychologically, its devastating. As you've found, it makes you very uneasy in your own home, hyper aware of any creak. Most unpleasant.

It took me a couple of months to get back to normal.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:36 am

Firstly, sorry to hear that. It has never happened to me thankfully, but it did happen to my fiance's family last year during a summer morning when they were out at a boot sale. I suspect the culprits lived close by as they obviously knew that her family went to a bootsale pretty much every Sunday morning, leaving nobody inside.

As this is a gaming forum, I must say, count yourself lucky that they didn't take anything gaming related, because in the case of my my fiance's brother, they took EVERYTHING!

New consoles, old consoles...all his childhood games boxed...memorabilia etc..

Makes me sick just thinking about it...

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:53 am

That sounds terrible, no wonder you're in a state.
Was it a break in for cash or were they looking for you for some reason?

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am

Because i work nights i bought an alarm, had to turn the outside alarm siren off as it kept going off for no reason. the internal siren is good but found out when i forgot to turn a sensor off when i had the dog in the room, the alarm went off all night. coming home from work i thought someone had broke in because the alarm was sounding. later i knocked the neighbours to apologise.... they didnt hear a thing. we have cctv fitted but i also have an older hdd camcorder which i leave on when i go out recording upstairs.

I cant start to understand or relate to the trauma they caused you but in cases like this id have zero problems in arming myself with the odd hammer or axe in case they return. drugs, scum of the earth.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:18 am

Truely awful. It's quite alarming to hear more often of people being broke into while at home in this day and age.
I hope you can get over the shock sooner rather than later.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:45 pm

Sorry to hear about what happened to you. Sure many of might think 'if someone broke into my house i'll give them a kickin' but its one of those things where when it happens it must be terrifying. The fact they broke in and didnt seem to be bothered about you being in the house when they knew says it all. You did the right thing locking yourself in that room as i'm sure if they were 'amateur' thieves they would have legged it instantly knowing someone was in the house.

The fact they then went up the stairs to try and get into your bedroom shows they seem a nasty bunch. You did the right thing totally

Only 'plus' thing about this is that they shouldnt come back to the same property again as they'll know someones probably inside. But obviously get alarms, even CCTV installed or a 'fake' unit outside to put people off

Great you're insured, worrying when you hear so many people who arent and cant replace belongings after a burglery. But worth getting an alarm with a sensor for downstairs so when you're asleep or upstairs you can turn it on. But you're probably still in shock at the moment, some people might sadly get their house burgled and only see it when they come back after a night out, for you to actually see them or be in the middle of it must have been very worrying.

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:17 pm

Sorry to read this - sounds awful. It just takes time to get over it in my experience. I know of another chap on a game forum whose flat was broken into while he was there. Scary, scary experience.

I was living on my own in a rented house in 2001 that was burgled. I was at work when it happened but I got home while they were still in the house. It was about 5pm and dark so I think the headlights of the car coming into the driveway scared them off. There were piles of things left by doorways that they were obviously going to grab on the way out but because they left in a hurry these things got left where they were. Including my Game Boy Pocket and a bunch a games. They took my SLR, a few other bits and bobs, and rode away through the back garden on two MTBs.

I was shocked and angry initially but that quickly gave way to feeling very unsettled and hyper alert. That feeling of being very uncomfortable in your own home was horrible. It does pass with time.

I did get the landlord to fit an alarm system that was connected to the police. That gave me some peace of mind. I could set this so that the downstairs was alarmed at night. I have to say though that this fueled the unsettled feeling and was a constant reminder and a few weeks after it was fitted the alarm it went off at about 2am. I've never shot out of bed so quickly. I was in a total panic and my heart was racing. I went down stairs to see the alarm panel displaying zone 3 - a room at the back of the house that I used for storage. I had to go and check of course but thankfully there was nothing amiss. The alarm company said the sensor was faulty when they tested it the next day. That episode did not help my nerves and I stopped setting it at night after that.

Talking helps. See if there's a local victim support group or phone the national victim support line.
Again, really sorry to hear what you went through.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:16 pm

What an awful thing to happen, a despicable act. I suspect the feelings of fear an unesase are perfectly NORMAL given what you went through. I would get in touch with an organisation who knows what they are talking about rather than us lot! https://www.victimsupport.org.uk/
Last edited by RetroBob on Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:18 pm

junkmale wrote:Before i begin i'm NOT looking for the sympathy vote.
Such is the sadness of my so called life i've no one to tell except a lot of total strangers on an internet forum.

Anyway...
I had a break in on Tuesday this week. 3 in the afternoon and i was at home.
They broke down my back door and the internal door between my hall and main room.
I was able to get to my bedroom and lock myself in. Luckily i have locks on all my internal doors.
They came up the stairs and tried to break into my bedroom. I shouted a bit and was able to phone the Police from the phone in my bedroom.
Nothing much taken except a small amount of money but they left a hell of a mess.
Now trying to sort everything out with the Police and the Insurance company (which hasn't been easy).

Thing is that i'm terrified now.
Can't sleep and jump every time i hear even the slightest noise.
When i go out i want to be home and when i'm home i want to go out.
I'm a fairly normal person and am really surprised that it's affected me so badly.

I hope not but has any one else went through anything similar?
How did you cope with it?
How long doe's it take to get back to normal?
You may be able to hire a guy called Oscar Pistorious - he would be a great help for you :D

Ok, joking aside. Really sorry to hear that - it must have been scary as hell. I would get some fake CCTV camera mounted on your house (front and back outside) - they should be fairly cheap and can be a marginally useful deterrant

Just a thought, maybe you should get some councelling? Usually, the Police send a letter once the crime has been logged about a support group, have you had one?

Always keep a couple of lights on when you go to slepp, or even maybe a radio or TV, draw the curtains so anyone may think more people are in the house than just yourself

Don't know what else to suggest.

Your confidence will come back in time though

Is your neighbourhood really rough? Do neighbours not have a "neighbourhood watch" type scheme going on??

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:01 pm

psj3809 wrote:Only 'plus' thing about this is that they shouldnt come back to the same property again as they'll know someones probably inside. But obviously get alarms, even CCTV installed or a 'fake' unit outside to put people off.
Career criminals can spot fake security systems straight off the bat, they only deter the most casual thieves.

Also, while this isn't really the reassurance I'd like to post in the thread, seasoned burglars are all too aware that insurance claims mean properties brimming with shiny new goods a couple of months down the line. It is not unusual for a repeat attempt, though having been spotted in the act they'll hopefully have the sense to stay clear to avoid being identified.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:48 pm

On the insurance thing, I doubt they will be back as they didn't come out with a TV, jewellery etc... they didn't take much so by the sounds of it the insurance will hopefully just be needed to repair the doors and replace carpets and other furnishings ruined by the bleach.

Why bleach I wonder? Hide DNA or fingerprint evidence I guess.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:08 pm

Well, I know this will be of little comfort but I hope they catch the effing scrotes and lock the dirty little bastards up. Then hopefully they get repeatedly violated in jail. And finally murdered.

Burglary is a disgusting crime, one of the lowest of the low.

Eat your nans pants