Video Game Carnival * Aldershot, UK * 28th Mar 2015

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

retrogamefest

Video Game Carnival * Aldershot, UK * 28th Mar 2015

Post by retrogamefest » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:33 am

We're very pleased to say that Video Game Carnival has a new venue in Aldershot - The West End Centre. We'll be taking over the bar area of the popular arts centre in Aldershot.

We'll be bringing you our selection of weird and wonderful hand-built video gaming attractions alongside a selection of retro consoles and computers all set up for your gaming pleasure. Here's what we have in store:

Two Giant Gameboys - They’re custom built Gameboys, they’re rather large (about 600% larger than the original), there are two of them and they’re linked together for head to head action. Tetris anyone?

The Fruitcade - Play your favourite arcade classics on this specially built table top arcade machine. But instead of buttons and a joystick, you use real fruit to control the games!

Laser Gaming - Video games played using our custom controllers and projected using a frickin’ laser.

The LED Arcade - LED and VFD Tabletop games, including Frogger, Scramble, Astro Wars, Amidar and many more.

8 Player Micro Machines - Play Micro Machines on the Sega Mega Drive, but with 8 separate controllers made out of toy cars.

Giant Atari Joystick - Yes another giant thing. 1000% bigger than an original joystick. Fully functional and ready to play all the Atari 2600 classics.

8 Bit Blocks - Let your creative side run free, so long as your creative side involves pixel art.

Picture Postcard - The classic photo opp, think Brighton Pier.

Rootin' Tootin' Shootin' Gallery - A selection of light gun games, cos hey, who doesn't like shootin' stuff.

Arcade - We'll have two or three arcade machines with all the classics on. Free to play.

Video Games - There will be a selection of retro consoles and computers to enjoy, with an emphasis on multi player.

Think Heavy - Indie developers, Think Heavy will be coming along to demo there new VR game for Oculus Rift called FIRMA. http://firmagame.com

Team Giraffe - Indie developers, Team Giraffe will running a competition on their new game Oh Chute! Available now from: https://marketplace.firefox.com/app/oh-chute/ or https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... fe.ohchute So you can get some practice in.

There will also be series of competitions throughout the day to pit your gaming prowess against your fellow gamers to find out who's top dog. More info on these to follow.

The whole event is free but with a suggested donation of £3 (to help cover costs) If you do donate £3 you will receive an exclusive pin badge (only 100 will ever be printed) that's only available at this event. The badge is being designed by Laura Nailer of Team Giraffe. Laura is an illustrator by day and works on the popular Simon's Cat animations, she also did the original design for our Picture Postcard.

Event Details:
Venue - West End Centre
Address - Queens Road, Aldershot, GU11 3JD
Date - 28th March 2015
Time - 4pm to 11pm
Cost - Free (but with a suggested £3 donation which gets you an exclusive pin badge)
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/events/1393531654283467/

joefish

Re: Video Game Carnival * Aldershot, UK * 28th Mar 2015

Post by joefish » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:28 am

Ha - 1:17 in that FIRMA video is a LEGO SPACE landing pad! :lol:
(The remake of V featured one too, spotters).

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:53 am

It might be a good idea to mention that the venue are requesting people to order tickets (although they are free) in order to make sure they don't go over capacity. Get tickets here!
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:35 am

Seems to me like that's a slightly enthusiastic exaggeration in order to to harvest a load of contact details...

retrogamefest

Post by retrogamefest » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:47 pm

themightymartin wrote:It might be a good idea to mention that the venue are requesting people to order tickets (although they are free) in order to make sure they don't go over capacity. Get tickets here!
What Martin said
joefish wrote:Seems to me like that's a slightly enthusiastic exaggeration in order to to harvest a load of contact details...
It's only 100 capacity, so it could be a problem. It's just been featured in the local paper and the Westy has a much larger marketing reach than the Garden Gate had!

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:59 pm

Bloody hell. Not been to the West End Centre since the Hairy Things in the late 90s...

retrogamefest

Post by retrogamefest » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:28 am

thingonaspring wrote:Bloody hell. Not been to the West End Centre since the Hairy Things in the late 90s...
I was working behind the bar for quite few Hairy Things gigs, I probably served you a beer! I still know the bass player Andy to this day.

ZeroCipher

Post by ZeroCipher » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:21 pm

The Westy is an excellent venue, i cut my teeth as a musician there many years ago. In fact my first and last live performance in the UK was at that venue. :D

nice one securing it for one of your events :)
Check my radio show every Tuesday 11pm (GMT) on TotalRock.com & every Saturday 8pm ET on FullFreqRadio.com & 11pm EST on TheMixx.FM also via the TuneIn App. On Demand www.mixcloud.com/djforcex

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:10 am

haha you probably did then! think i saw them twice. didn't really venture over aldershot way all that much in truth, was living in fleet, then went to farnborough 6th form. :D

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:35 am

Well I'd say that it was a total success!

Highlights for me were getting to the finals of the Street Fighter 2 competition (something I never thought would ever happen), my first (and second, and third) experience with the Occulus Rift, and ten-player Bomberman projected onto a wall.
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs