Other (please specify)
19%
I'm still struggling with English
3%

Total votes: 32

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:29 pm

knight_beat wrote:American.
Um, hit yourself in the head and start spelling things incorrectly, done. :wink:
Join the Retroleague, dip in and out or compete to be the best, everyone welcome! https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/retroleague/

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:36 pm

Irish / Gaelic

Mrs Carlos is Irish and it would be great to just be able to pronounce place names properly when I'm over there.

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:43 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
MikeHaggar wrote:English is my second language ;)
I put Norwegian in just for you! :D
Ok, I've ticked Norwegian then ;)

junkmale

Post by junkmale » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:36 pm

Serbo - Croat.

My family was from there (either Serbia or Croatia) many centuries ago and i'd love to learn the Lingo.

Isn't it frustrating how many night classes only do the usual French, German, Spanish etc?

What about something obscure....like Latvian?

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:49 pm

Klingon

:roll:

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:39 am

I'd like to be able to read Japanese, but I have no great need to speak it. The two are somewhat separate thanks to the different character set - with most languages you can have a stab at speaking it just by pronouncing the written words but that only works if you can read it in the first place. Obviously, I'm going with Japanese as its for all those import games.

15 years ago I'd have said German as the Atari ST was huge there and there were loads of docs etc that remained unfathomable to me.

25 years ago I'd have said French as that would have imporved my experience of Oric import gaming.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

beesty

Post by beesty » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:13 pm

Who the F**K voted french.
Suffered 5 years of school learning french only to grow up to find they are the most ignorant arrogant people in europe.
I voted other and my choice would be spanish,the reason is when me and my wife and daughter(who was one at the time) went to tenerife the spanish were very nice and really seemed to make a fuss out of my daughter.
the c64 was king,and the speccy,and the amiga,and,,,,,ooh u know the rest

Cornelius

Post by Cornelius » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:13 pm

I'd like to be able to speak Irish better than I can. The same goes for French. I loved that in secondary school. I'd love to study Japanese too for the games, anime and manga. All great reasons to study it for.

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:04 pm

Spanish.

Mostly for the ladies and when I'm working stateside.

I can speak a very small amount of Chinese (Cantonese), Slovakian and Russian.

Although, I only know how to say Hi and proceed to insult whoever I'm talking to's mother when speaking in Russian :twisted:

Mandarin/Cantonese is just so mind bendingly (and tongue bendingly) hard to learn!

This is what I'm unhappy about, when I was at school - you had Two choices, German or French.

And even at school, I always knew that I would never want to speak either as I have no vested interest in either country.

They should have offered more choices, I mean - in my area now, there are no French or German people - but Slovakian, Czech, and Polish on the other hand - every other person you come across!
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:59 pm

We were only offered French and Spanish at school. I did French but got bored with it and didn't bother any more (it doesn't even show up on my exam cert I graded so low :oops: ). Spanish would probably have been useful as its all been Spanish speaking countries I've visited, but I wanted German at the time and couldn't get it.

Can't we just make everyone else speak English? The internet is helping that cause but I can't see the point in retaining other languages for anything other than historical purposes.Language is supposed to be about communication, but having multiple versions just confuses things. Look at Gaelic - complete waste of time, spoken by about 3 people in the islands and a bunch of beardy weirdies on the mainland, et we get prime time telly dedicated to it. And nothing about videogames, or if it is on its at 3am or some stupid time. Put the Gaelic stuff on after hours and let the weirdos tape it and give us something useful to watch. Here's one for the Finbar Saunders among you: One of the biggest Gaelic shows on at teatime here is - Cunntas!
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

kavsy

Post by kavsy » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:46 am

BSL, Sign Language, I've done level 1, need to start level 2 now.

P-Head

Post by P-Head » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:46 am

FNARR FNARR! YURK! *FALLS DOWN*

I can barely get by in German these days, and I speak "tourist" French although I used to be much better at both. It's a really tough call out of all those languages but I'd have to go for German. I tried to learn a bit of Norwegian before I went to Oslo a year and a half ago but everyone there seemed to speak really good English anyway.

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:51 am

I definitely would like to speak (and read/write) Japanese. Then you could read all the signs you occasionally see in some games. I'm curious to see whether they actually mean something. :D

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:55 am

Japanese or Russian.

Japanese for the games of course (Policenauts in all it's glory!!!) and Russian because I just think it's cool. 8)
真・豪鬼

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:26 am

I have a little russian phrase book lying around somewhere but its so small I cant read the text as I cant read small print.
Watching you sleep since 1990