Blade Runner sequel

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Elgin_McQueen

Re: Blade Runner sequel

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:13 am

I imagine at some point I'll have to get around to watching the original.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:43 pm

I adore Blade Runner in its various versions (all 5 of them!) Its a Sci-Fi classic and sits as my number one film for me.

The story itself is rather drab, humdrum, even slow and boring to the casual viewer. So much so that the twist ending goes over the heads of most people as they just aren't that invested in the story (Unlike other twist endings which are so overblown)
Its the the setting, the atmosphere, design, look, details and so on. Its much like an onion with various layers, discovered after various viewings. The slow pace suits the film for you to soak up the amazing visuals.

In my eyes its a masterpiece. But I do understand on why other dislike it.

As for a sequel? The setting has plenty of opportunities for other stories in the Blade Runner universe, the sequel books and PC game have shown that. However I'm quite reluctant on anyone messing around, or diluting the original with an inferior sequel.

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:14 pm

TheDude18 wrote:I adore Blade Runner in its various versions (all 5 of them!) Its a Sci-Fi classic and sits as my number one film for me.

The story itself is rather drab, humdrum, even slow and boring to the casual viewer.
I love Blade Runner but if anyone thinks it's slow, don't read the book!
Some of the iconic film scenes take a second in the book and he comes across as a bit of a depressed wimp.
Although, I have the second book, I never got round to finishing it. It starts not long after the original but couldn't say whether it's good enough to make a great film.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:38 pm

Which book? The Blade Runner novelisation, or Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? I've started the latter twice, but I just can't get into it, its so far removed from the movie that it inspired.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:16 pm

The tears in the rain speech at the end with Vangelis tinkling the ivorys... Awesome! I hope they don't sh#t it up star wars style.
Scott me up beamie!

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:35 pm

Elgin_McQueen wrote:I imagine at some point I'll have to get around to watching the original.
I demand that before you do ANYTHING ELSE, you must watch it! I thought it was a film that every 30 - 50 year old bloke would have watched at some point!!! :shock:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:59 am

We nearly didn't get a sequel after he crashed his plane today/yesterday.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:45 am

markopoloman wrote:
Elgin_McQueen wrote:I imagine at some point I'll have to get around to watching the original.
I demand that before you do ANYTHING ELSE, you must watch it! I thought it was a film that every 30 - 50 year old bloke would have watched at some point!!! :shock:
Lol, i'll maybe have to acquire a copy for my next work trip.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:19 am

necronom wrote:We nearly didn't get a sequel after he crashed his plane today/yesterday.
Can't they just build a new one? The eyes might be tricky though.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

stvd

Post by stvd » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:59 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Which book? The Blade Runner novelisation, or Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? I've started the latter twice, but I just can't get into it, its so far removed from the movie that it inspired.

The latter yes.

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:39 pm

necronom wrote:We nearly didn't get a sequel after he crashed his plane today/yesterday.
How did he get a licence for the Millenium Falcon?

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:27 pm

Bl00dy sequels. WHY WHY WHY. Money, obviously.

The film is a standalone classic. No need for a sequel.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:40 am

"Isn't it that film where it rains all the time?" said a school mate of mine back in the mid 80's. He didn't get it, so did a lot of people. I think I did in some way, because it happens to be one of my all time fav movies. I guess I watched it at a time when my young brain was very impressionable and the themes have stuck with me ever since.

Fast forward 30 years later and it's in the works. Some people have stated that Harrison Ford can't return if he's a replicant but as all good fans know in the voice over version; "Tyrell had told me Rachel was something special, no incept date." So why not apply this to Deckard too? It would be quite easy to integrate into the plot.

Of course the film is special too for a lot of fans - it came out when the right bunch of creative people worked on it so a sequel this far in time has got a lot to live up too - at least Hampton Fancher is on board but his script wasn't very good which is why Peoples helped out, hopefully he's got it right this time.

I for one am looking forward to it. It would be interesting to see the Bladerunner universe expanded upon and using modern day effects how it will turn out. If it's not good then I still got the original and remember James Cameron did a fine version of Alien so Ridley not directing is no big worry. However, I think if Vangelis doesn't score the movie then it will lose the ambiance of the original. He has stated that he is a friend of Ridley so you never know...

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:51 pm

All these sequels (Terminator, Aliens, Ghostbusters etc.) just seem so unnecessary but I'd give a Blade Runner sequel a chance I guess (unlike the Ghostbusters reboot which I have zero interest in watching).

What I'd prefer however is for studios to be creating new movies that have the same lasting impact as the likes of Blade Runner, Alien, Star Wars etc. Surely it is possible to do rather than sequels, reboots etc. I like a hell of a lot of newer movies but very few that I can remember will be ones I can see us looking back on as 'classics' in the same way as some 70's/80's/90's films.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.