Blade Runner sequel

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Antiriad2097

Re: Blade Runner sequel

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:07 am

I knew this was on the way but didn't know Ford had signed up for it.

I wonder if they'll go into him being a replicant?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:59 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:I knew this was on the way but didn't know Ford had signed up for it.

"The story takes place several decades after the conclusion of the 1982 film".

From what I can remember, don't replicants have a 4-6 ear life span?
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:41 am

che_don_john wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:I knew this was on the way but didn't know Ford had signed up for it.

"The story takes place several decades after the conclusion of the 1982 film".

From what I can remember, don't replicants have a 4-6 ear life span?
Obsolescense was built into the replicants by the manufacturers at the time of the original movie, one of the characters does explain why but I can't quite remember the line right now, it might have also been only certain models but it doesn't need to be compulsery going forward in the story I guess. The replicants manufacturers could have had a policy change or maybe replicant tech improved enough for the life span limit not to be needed. Also iirc there was some question as to whether the life span limit was present in all of the replicants in the original movie i.e. Racheal which could mean the built in obsolescense thing could easilly be bypassed in the new movie with a bit of imaginitive writing... maybe. My guess would be if Ford has signed up then he's not a replicant as I don't know whether the replicants aged or not and if he was an aged replicant it might be more difficult to explain. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:25 pm

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:42 pm

One of the great things about the original is that viewers are left watching and re-watching the film to find clues about whether Decker is a replicant or not. To have this answered in what will almost certainly be a censored sequel is beyond a bad idea.

Surely Scott is capable of coming up with an original idea than defiling his greatest film?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:09 pm

He already did that with Prometheus.

I'venever much cared one way or another about the Deckard/replicant/human thing tbh. I just like the mood and atmosphere of the world. Noire setting, hot chicks, action scenes, it all works for me at a basic level without needing to over analyse things.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:21 pm

I like Prometheus :)

Eat your nans pants

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:31 pm

Yawn. Blade Runner was naff. Sure, great setting...but nowt else. Bored me silly. Why must Hollywood trawl their ancient backlog? And will it really be an extension of the original or merely a rehash for the modern world of effects? It could have been a worthy movie way back when, so as it wasn't I'm not holding out much hope that the 'sequel' will improve much upon it.

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:24 am

Something has just reminded me that replicants were meant to be replicas of real humans (looks, or memories, or sometimes both). So, perhaps Harrison Ford will be playing the real (and naturally aged) Deckard?

The real Deckard would have some use and value because he must have been a detective or law enforcer of some kind; the memories and minds of replicants are 'borrowed' from real people, after all.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:56 am

I for one am excited as to see how the "world" looks in the next movie

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:55 pm

Sputryk wrote:Yawn. Blade Runner was naff. Sure, great setting...but nowt else. Bored me silly. Why must Hollywood trawl their ancient backlog? And will it really be an extension of the original or merely a rehash for the modern world of effects? It could have been a worthy movie way back when, so as it wasn't I'm not holding out much hope that the 'sequel' will improve much upon it.
I sort of agree with that. I don't necessarily see it as a bad film, but can't see why people rave about it either. The effects - good, the setting - good, the actual film - run of the mill.

But Rutger Hauer is great!

Eat your nans pants

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:13 pm

be better if it was about Oscar Pistorious in the future chasing down replicants and bumping them off in his own unique style

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:45 pm

Ridley got the inspiration for the flare stacks in Bladerunner from ICI, as he is from this area. The one at the Wilton site is currently doing a very good Bladerunner opening scene. I can't see the flame from here, but it's quite spectacular. You can see the glow:

The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:01 pm

blade runner is one of the top three greatest sci-fi films of all time. the sequel will never live up to it.