Aliens are you excited.

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

silvergunner

Aliens are you excited.

Post by silvergunner » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:11 pm

Well blow me the new Alien film is going to disregard Alien III and Ressurection and start after the second film at some point. Best thing I have heard and honestly I cannot wait for this film to be released.

Let's just hope Bloomkamp is a strong enough director like Cameron was to tell weaver where to go when she comes up with wacky ideas like she did during the shooting of Aliens.

She got her way in the end mind with the third film.

Wonder if Michael Biehn will come back to play hicks?

Negative Creep

Re: Aliens are you excited.

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:13 pm

Considering Aliens:CM was confirmed as canon I wonder if they'll keep that part?

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:25 pm

I don't think they will, but hey until it's out and we know the story who knows. I did actually enjoy colonial marines and the story was ok. Few bits that were out of place but clearly put in to the game gameplay wise. Overal though it did what it set out to do.

necronom

Post by necronom » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:20 am

Yep, I'm excited :D

It's been confirmed that A5 won't wipe out A3 and AR from existence, just that it will be using the first two as the basis of the fifth: http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/alien/3 ... do-alien-3

After the first announcement of it ignoring 3 and 4, I was thinking it was going to be a parallel universe version of events, but looks more like an Alien 2.5 now.

The age thing could be a problem though, if that's the case.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:52 am

Maybe it ties in with Prometheus, with Weyland Yutani finally finding an anti ageing method that Ripley uses before Alien 3?

I don't mind either way, all four films have been enjoyable for me. I really don't get the hate for the later two.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:21 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Maybe it ties in with Prometheus, with Weyland Yutani finally finding an anti ageing method that Ripley uses before Alien 3?

I don't mind either way, all four films have been enjoyable for me. I really don't get the hate for the later two.
nor I. I've enjoyed all of them.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

necronom

Post by necronom » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:12 am

I've always liked 3 quite a lot, and it seems to be liked much more these days that when it came out.

AR was a big disappointment to me. It should have been great; the director who did The City of Lost Children to bring a new look and feel to it, and Joss Whedon, who has made some of the best TV I've ever seen.
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:20 pm

Yeah 3 and 4 were enjoyable, but taking them out of the equation would make the script easier to write for the next film without trying to tie everything together.

Alien three for me has aged a lot better than Ressurection.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:30 pm

Negative Creep wrote:Considering Aliens:CM was confirmed as canon I wonder if they'll keep that part?

Nope, they are retconning alien 3 and 4 so the colonial marines twist wouldnt make sense. not that it did in the first place.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:04 pm

Alien 5 will not undo Alien 3 or Alien Resurrection, says Director Neill Blomkamp...

http://www.scified.com/site/alien5/alie ... l-blomkamp
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:00 am

Perhaps there could be another adventure that happened between Aliens and Alien3? One which could end with Ripley, Hicks and Newt getting into an escape pod then realising there's a facehugger there too? Basically anything that doesn't just take two characters we were invested in for a whole film, and kill them off between movies in the biggest cop out move ever.

For the record, I dislike Alien3, with its depressing setting and annoying caricatures. And Resurrection wasn't any better, with its expendable crew of cliches and sketchy CGI.

Personally I'd be happy if they just pulled a Superman Returns and pretended that 3 and Resurrection never happened. Not that Superman Returns was great, but you get the idea.
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:54 am

Alien 3 has a different tone to the first two films (both of which were also very different movies) and while it couldn't match Aliens, I enjoyed it for what it was. It seems more pschological and has its own indentity.

Resurrection isn't really a 'bad' film but it feels like 'just another movie' with predictable deaths and straightforward plot. It's for that reason that I found it disappointing. The VS movies were much, much worse though; especially AvP2: Requiem.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:58 pm

http://screenrant.com/alien-5-neill-blo ... ehn-hicks/

I'm getting more excited by the day, though I still don't get how they age, then un-age before Alien 3.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:39 pm

Supposedly biehn has confirmed he has spoken to people about possible involment and that he would do it if possible.

This gets better by the minute if it's true.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:57 pm

I am glad they are not ditching Alien 3 and Resurrection from the canon - they should respect the films that have come before 5, there is no reason they cannot work within those parameters. I would love to see Hicks return.

Alien 3 is a markedly better film if you watch the directors cut on the DVD/Blu Ray releases - apparantly 30 minutes or more were cut to get more showings in per day. Characters just disappear and the origin ('mother') f the alien is a different animal.
Xbox Live: RetroBob