Shiftytiggers holiday search.

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

shiftytigger

Shiftytiggers holiday search.

Post by shiftytigger » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:13 am

This year Im not in the lucky position I was last year , where I had a holiday paid for from a lottery win. In times a few years ago we took advantage of the sun £9.50 holidays and had some really good breaks. Sadly times changed and we can no longer use them.

Im left with probably the most daunting search Ive had in years. Does anyone have any tips on budget holidays and places to search for them?

My main limits are not being a driver (meaning travel by coach or train) , needing to keep costs low without staying a tent or hostel and preferably easy travel routes to Aberystwyth.

Quite frankly after reading those limits , its no wonder im struggling.

flatapex

Re: Shiftytiggers holiday search.

Post by flatapex » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:49 am

you need a few things:

1. a clear idea of what you want to spend, when you want to do it and what you want to do
and then either
2. imagination and determination
or
3. a friend that will help you look

you already have number 3, just need to know when and the budget, either on here or via pm, and i'll help however i can. I studied travel and tourism at college and this was the type of thing we had to do as coursework

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:08 am

Maybe I should clarify the limitations and requirements a little more and explain.

1) Needs to be within access of public transport. To give an idea , last year although paid for by luck was in Burnham on Sea. Loved it as it was central to other places yet self contained enough to keep us entertained. Access to Aberystwyth was fairly easy and inexpensive.
2) Could do with being accessible for limited mobility.
3) No camping , hostels or shared bathrooms.
4) Close to attractions or other towns within public transport reach.
5) Preferably coming in less than £800 for a week. Holiday parks vary to around 1120ish which is just not possible.
6) As we normally have to fit in a family visit, access to Aberystwyth station would be helpful but again distance and cost can be limiting.
7) As an example of places considered - Borth, Tywyn , Barmouth. All places on or near the same coast as Aberystwyth. Fine but is it much of a holiday if its still that close to where my parents live? Convenient sure.
8) Seaside location. Guess I will always equate holidays with the seaside but any other ideas may persuade. Would still need to apply other criteria.
9) Need to fit it into the summer holiday time so august mainly.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:54 am

my area of expertise is a bit further north (porthmadog), was involved in the management of a holiday let down there.

I'll take a look dude and see what I can find out, I wouldnt call porthmadog accessible by public transport

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:40 pm

Managed to find a caravan in Hafan-y-mor which seems ok. Still the search goes on.

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:33 pm

Since you live in Aberystwyth anyway, which many people in a similar situation to you might consider a decent location for a holiday, have you considered looking to rent out your place while you're away, or do a temporary exchange with someone in a place you'd like to visit?

Maybe you could rope in a neighbour to keep an eye on your guests, and to look after your private stuff; either that or put everything personal in one room and fit a hoofing great lock on the door and/or your loft hatch. Or use a locked garage or shed, particularly if you have a freezer in there as well.

I don't really have any experience of this or fully understand the risks, but I've heard of people doing it for foreign trips (like, between the UK and Australia) so there should be help and advice available. You'd need a precise contract to agree what's allowed. It just struck me that where you're living might be desirable to someone else.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:59 pm

Sorry , think I've given the wrong idea. I wish I lived in Aberystwyth. My folks do and its the closest station to them.
I use it as a reference point on how to get around.
We actually live in East London and travel everywhere by train or coach.

Sorry if it came across wrong.
Not trying to be lazy just looking for fresh ideas on budget holidaying.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:42 pm

From London? Practically anywhere abroad. Get some sun. See some new sights. Places like the Canary Islands can be inexpensive, but still familiar - plenty of 'british' pubs and restaurants, along with lots of other choices. Plenty of evening entertainment too, we see more live music in those two weeks than the rest of the year. Generally it tends to work out no more than staying in the UK, since travel and hotels here are so expensive. Islands like this are fairly small, so transport tends to be cheap and easy - we always hop on a bus or train to get around longer distances, while taxis are dirt cheap for short trips. Some locations are nice and flat, so popular for disabled holidaymakers, always see lots of wheelchair users in these places. Beaches are lovely. Last time we went, we spent almost the entire fortnight there! Very lazy, usually we have a day out followed by a beach day.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:52 pm

I was surprised looking around the UK at the cost of everything compared to foreign trips.

It won't help you this year, but I kept informed and got on EasyJet's site within days of them releasing the summer flight schedule from Gatwick to Corfu - this was around 9th October last year. If you're quick you can catch them before the prices ramp up, and sticking to hand luggage bags can save a ton of money (like getting a return trip for well under £100). Also it's only another fiver each to pick seats so you sit together, and that guarantees you can take on the larger bag size. They do fly at odd hours though, so consider trading off the cost of a family room near the airport the night before against what you'd save on tickets by flying at, say, 6:00 am. Most places nearby will run courtesy shuttles, and you can walk from one of the Premier Inns.

Foreign room rates from Booking.com could be as low as £20 a night (though admittedly I wasn't looking at family rooms) and I know places where the hosts will drive you to the edge-of-town supermarkets to stock up for the week (Jasmine Apartments, Sidari - ideal spot). I've also done things like booking a fortnight on a 'room only' basis from a tour operator like Olympic (don't trust them on flights though - ever) but shortened the holiday by a few days to pick out cheaper flights and still worked out better than paying per night for a room. But generally for the peak summer season, prices are better when booking accommodation directly rather than through a tour company.

Don't know how practical all that sounds - depends on how many of you there are. But for four I could see you getting four return flights for a little over half your budget and a week's accommodation for the rest. And the advantage is staying on a second week works out cheaper. But you'd have to do your research and get in early.

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:30 pm

[quote]Maybe I should clarify the limitations and requirements a little more and explain.

1) Needs to be within access of public transport. To give an idea , last year although paid for by luck was in Burnham on Sea. Loved it as it was central to other places yet self contained enough to keep us entertained. Access to Aberystwyth was fairly easy and inexpensive.
quote]

Sorry to query matey, but how did being in Burnham-On-Sea make Aberystwyth inexpensive and easy to access.. It's nowhere near it!

I was going to suggest Tenby on the S Wales coast but as the railway line between Carmarthen and Aber closed years ago it would be a bit of a trek in a coach. As the line to Aber goes from Birmingham through Shrewsbury you're a bit limited in your choice of seaside location if using trains, it would be along the coast north of Aber as the easiest option.

I stayed in Aberdovey years ago and found that a lovely place and it's not too far from Aber.

I would do what Ant suggested and go abroad on a package deal and bring your folks with you. :)

I have a lot of experience of transport planning and geography so if I can also be of service then just shout.

Between us we'll get you there. Sounds like a travel company slogan. :)

Cheers

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:17 pm

Burnham on sea is a fair way away from Aberystwyth , but i managed to get a good deal on train fares so it was easy to arrange.
As for holidaying out of the uk , its really not in our plans right now. Just a few days near the sea .

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:29 am

You'll have to come and see me in Poole if you want a decent beach! As for costs though.... hmmm not the cheapest part of the UK
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:36 am

Get drunk and stay at home?
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:43 am

Managed to squeeze in a caravan holiday in Tenby for the kids this Easter. Saved quite a bit by hiring the caravan privately rather than hiring from the site themselves - http://www.ukcaravans4hire.com/

Personally I love Tenby, not only for the area itself and the fantastic beaches, but for the other attractions in the area that keeps the kids entertained (especially as the is a large age difference between them) e.g. Heatherton, The Dinosaur park, Paintball etc

Also give Holiday Pirates a go - http://www.holidaypirates.com/

If you can leave the booking till last minute, then there are some fantastic offers on there.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:38 pm

TheDude18 wrote:Managed to squeeze in a caravan holiday in Tenby for the kids this Easter. Saved quite a bit by hiring the caravan privately rather than hiring from the site themselves - http://www.ukcaravans4hire.com/

Personally I love Tenby, not only for the area itself and the fantastic beaches, but for the other attractions in the area that keeps the kids entertained (especially as the is a large age difference between them) e.g. Heatherton, The Dinosaur park, Paintball etc

Also give Holiday Pirates a go - http://www.holidaypirates.com/

If you can leave the booking till last minute, then there are some fantastic offers on there.
Dude, i might see you around then. We've booked a bungalow in Saundersfoot for Easter. :D We looked at caravans and found that a bungalow was almost parity on cost, so went for it. We booked through Powell's and found their prices quite reasonable, tbh. This is the one we went for:

http://www.powells.co.uk/property/wales ... lante/W577
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)