Are there double standards on this forum

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Are there double standards on this forum

Yes, clearly
11
44%
No, of course not
10
40%
Andre the Giant
4
16%
 
Total votes: 25

User avatar
clarance
Posts: 2702
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:54 pm
Location: The Fens
Contact:

Re: Are there double standards on this forum

Post by clarance » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:39 pm

flatapex wrote:erm......cheese footballs.

i dont know or care if there is favouritsm on the forum, i have met a few rg peeps, including darran and markopoloman, everyone i met would fall into the category of 'great bunch o' lads'

I have been a forum mod for *counts on fingers* 6 years, blimey didnt think it was that long. being human you will like one person more than another, same as anyone that reads this might think 'oh god not him again' the key is to let sense rule over playground. on the forum i moderate on some people make me want to groan, others i want to buy them a pint. i moderate all posts the same, some however i trust more than others to follow the rules.
true story about a year before i became a mod i was nearly thrown off the forum because i posted a video, it was a thread about favourite comedians, rich hall said something like f-ing something in the video and i was nearly banned for posting an obscene link :lol:
a year later the mod that i later found out reported it stepped down and i applied for his job and got it, he left the forum soon afterwards.

oh and if you want favouritism the first forum i ever joined was a car forum, i disagreed with someone and i was hounded to death till i left, i even reported to mods and was ignored, wrote a topic about it which was deleted, as where most things i posted as i wasnt in 'the clique'. i think my final topic was a goodbye which was deleted too. i think it changed hands a few times as i think it was a company that the moderation was outsourced to.
oh and another forum there was a clique that used to post 'other place, other place' which was exposed to be a secret forum used to insult other members, one member got drunk, posted that it existed, then proceeded to say what had been said about people (about 15 members got very personal insults) the other people came on and defended what had been said. no-one got banned and many are still there over 6 years on. another posted about a member of the site some very personal and inappropraite things including his real name and allegations about him luring women into having affairs, again no bans
So who's gonna admit to 'other forum' posting on here. I know it goes on, I've seen it myself, I've seen my name mentioned, again with insults and threats of violence, I've seen other members slagged off also...
Death may be your Santa Claus.

User avatar
koopa42
Posts: 5903
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:48 am
Location: Playing the victim apparently?

Re: Are there double standards on this forum

Post by koopa42 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:39 pm

I definitely have NOT put them up to explode.

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14993
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: Are there double standards on this forum

Post by Megamixer » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:42 pm

koopa42 wrote:I definitely have NOT put them up to explode.
I know :) . I was just referring to possibility of them getting de-railed like those piracy threads did for a moment.

These are good threads Koops - nice to have somewhere for views to come out into the open in a dedicated place.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
clarance
Posts: 2702
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:54 pm
Location: The Fens
Contact:

Re: Are there double standards on this forum

Post by clarance » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:47 pm

koopa42 wrote:Now then, Beans and Clarence are continuing things from at least a couple of separate threads in this thread, and both have posted things that could be considered 'report' worthy in the aforementioned threads yet neither (to my knowledge) has received a ban, tying in nicely to this thread about double standards. Other members seem to have been banned for a lot less and/or being perceived to be continuing something inappropriate. Are we seeing double standards playing out right now?
If it's any consolation, Darran tried to ban me once over a picture of Steve Davis (I was being a snidey snide :) ) but the forum wouldn't let him, and by the time I had profusely apologised he took pity on me and let me go with a telling off.

But yeah, slightly strange how things go.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

User avatar
The Beans
Posts: 3635
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 12:18 pm

Re: Are there double standards on this forum

Post by The Beans » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:48 pm

clarance wrote:
The Beans wrote:
You accused another member of posting something they wouldn't say to your face. The phrase you used to describe such people was "internet slimeballs". I remembered very clearly that you had crashed a respectful thread about Remembrance Day with a load of anti-government stuff because, hey, you're that sort of guy. The thread was derailed so badly it was locked. In the post you claim threatened you with violence I mentioned that your unwanted thread-crapping in that thread had me wanting to punch your lights out at the time. A very different thing to making a direct threat.
What I asked you to do was confirm whether you would do such a thing as crashing a memorial service in real life. Your eventual answer was that you wouldn't. Obvious hypocrisy then, the man who accuses others of being an internet slimeball is one himself. Unless you're admitting to it, of course.
Well, I don't remember it that way at all - again, your perception of some posts on a forum is different to mine, but then those posts have been deleted now... so you may have a point regarding my hypocrisy - I don't see it that way at all.

As to the remembrance thread - I don't see it as a derailment to post a view that is different to the OP - and MPM decided to lock the thread for all the wrong reasons, in my opinion. But then, hey, I'm that sort of guy :roll:

And any way, still hardly a reason to want to punch my lights out - if you don't see that as a violent threat, or at the very least, violent intimidation, then I really don't know.

And yet you don't get a ban?
People have punched people for far less than being deeply offended by a person's insensitivity and self-righteous belief they have the right to say whatever they want no matter where they are and whatever the surrounding context might be. We have quite a few laws to prevent such things happening for that very reason.
As it was, there was no deliberate attempt to intimidate either, just an expression of how angry I was at the time. Aren't you the one usually telling people to grow a thicker skin?

The ban I should have got was for insulting outdated gamer. Which is why I've gone with a "yes" vote in the poll. I've seen folk banned or warned for less.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

flatapex
Posts: 2705
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 6:30 pm
Contact:

Re: Are there double standards on this forum

Post by flatapex » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:53 pm

clarance wrote:
flatapex wrote:erm......cheese footballs.

i dont know or care if there is favouritsm on the forum, i have met a few rg peeps, including darran and markopoloman, everyone i met would fall into the category of 'great bunch o' lads'

I have been a forum mod for *counts on fingers* 6 years, blimey didnt think it was that long. being human you will like one person more than another, same as anyone that reads this might think 'oh god not him again' the key is to let sense rule over playground. on the forum i moderate on some people make me want to groan, others i want to buy them a pint. i moderate all posts the same, some however i trust more than others to follow the rules.
true story about a year before i became a mod i was nearly thrown off the forum because i posted a video, it was a thread about favourite comedians, rich hall said something like f-ing something in the video and i was nearly banned for posting an obscene link :lol:
a year later the mod that i later found out reported it stepped down and i applied for his job and got it, he left the forum soon afterwards.

oh and if you want favouritism the first forum i ever joined was a car forum, i disagreed with someone and i was hounded to death till i left, i even reported to mods and was ignored, wrote a topic about it which was deleted, as where most things i posted as i wasnt in 'the clique'. i think my final topic was a goodbye which was deleted too. i think it changed hands a few times as i think it was a company that the moderation was outsourced to.
oh and another forum there was a clique that used to post 'other place, other place' which was exposed to be a secret forum used to insult other members, one member got drunk, posted that it existed, then proceeded to say what had been said about people (about 15 members got very personal insults) the other people came on and defended what had been said. no-one got banned and many are still there over 6 years on. another posted about a member of the site some very personal and inappropraite things including his real name and allegations about him luring women into having affairs, again no bans
So who's gonna admit to 'other forum' posting on here. I know it goes on, I've seen it myself, I've seen my name mentioned, again with insults and threats of violence, I've seen other members slagged off also...
i post on loads of games forums, mainly sega8bit and retrocollect, i even organised their secret santas.
i use the same name across all gaming sites that i use and have nothing to hide, why would i? look at my signature
Image

User avatar
koopa42
Posts: 5903
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:48 am
Location: Playing the victim apparently?

Re: Are there double standards on this forum

Post by koopa42 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:57 pm

clarance wrote:
If it's any consolation, Darran tried to ban me once over a picture of Steve Davis (I was being a snidey snide :) ) but the forum wouldn't let him, and by the time I had profusely apologised he took pity on me and let me go with a telling off.

But yeah, slightly strange how things go.
That's strange, Steve Davis?!?!! Yet another case of something being odd with the forum. I have a Snooker/pool thread in the games bit, can I post a picture of Steve Davis? and if not? Why not? Perhaps that warrants its own thread because I wouldn't want it to sully this thread ..... being as you put about 'being snide' so please don't explain it. I will however be open about the fact that I intend to post about Steve Davis in the valid Snooker thread.

User avatar
clarance
Posts: 2702
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:54 pm
Location: The Fens
Contact:

Re: Are there double standards on this forum

Post by clarance » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:00 pm

The Beans wrote:
People have punched people for far less than being deeply offended by a person's insensitivity and self-righteous belief they have the right to say whatever they want no matter where they are and whatever the surrounding context might be. We have quite a few laws to prevent such things happening for that very reason.
As it was, there was no deliberate attempt to intimidate either, just an expression of how angry I was at the time. Aren't you the one usually telling people to grow a thicker skin?

The ban I should have got was for insulting outdated gamer. Which is why I've gone with a "yes" vote in the poll. I've seen folk banned or warned for less.
My answer to that would be that a retro-gamer forum would not be a place where I would need to be concerned about 'surrounding context'. As I said in the previous thread, I wouldn't go shouting my views at a remembrance service. But then if I did, I wouldn't expect you, or any one, to try to justify violence as a response.

And yeah, It's true, people should be less sensitive - I was particularly outraged at your arrogance within your statement of violent intent though.

Anyway, and to contradict myself somewhat, I think if you want to carry on, then we should go the PM route - really don't want to use our bitching as an excuse to lock this thread :) - Vegetable rights and peace.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

User avatar
clarance
Posts: 2702
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:54 pm
Location: The Fens
Contact:

Re: Are there double standards on this forum

Post by clarance » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:02 pm

koopa42 wrote:
clarance wrote:
If it's any consolation, Darran tried to ban me once over a picture of Steve Davis (I was being a snidey snide :) ) but the forum wouldn't let him, and by the time I had profusely apologised he took pity on me and let me go with a telling off.

But yeah, slightly strange how things go.
That's strange, Steve Davis?!?!! Yet another case of something being odd with the forum. I have a Snooker/pool thread in the games bit, can I post a picture of Steve Davis? and if not? Why not? Perhaps that warrants its own thread because I wouldn't want it to sully this thread ..... being as you put about 'being snide' so please don't explain it. I will however be open about the fact that I intend to post about Steve Davis in the valid Snooker thread.

Yeah, it was all about context, :oops: :P
Death may be your Santa Claus.

User avatar
RetroKingSimon
Posts: 3680
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:21 pm
Location: Ohtori Academy

Re: Are there double standards on this forum

Post by RetroKingSimon » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:13 pm

It certainly used to be the case, that's why I left :|

User avatar
koopa42
Posts: 5903
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:48 am
Location: Playing the victim apparently?

Re: Are there double standards on this forum

Post by koopa42 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:18 pm

I admit that many of my self exiles have been because of attitudes on the forum in general. After a certain member was banned? I nearly went on another exile but thought I'd see what others thought about these issues instead.

User avatar
c0nfu53d
Posts: 2098
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:35 pm

Re: Are there double standards on this forum

Post by c0nfu53d » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:44 pm

Double standards!? On the internet net? It can't be...

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26858
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Are there double standards on this forum

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:51 pm

I don't think there's a deliberate double standard applied, just a reaction from mods to reports.

For instance, I suspect The Laird has a macro set up to report any instance of anything ever that doesn't explicitly agree with his view at any given time. Unfortunately, this means mods have to react to that and act appropriately.

On the other hand, as Clarance has said, he doesn't report stuff, so hence you get things like The Beans' aggressive posts going untouched, since Clarance hasn't indicated he's upset or offended by them, he just posts a response in the thread if he feels like it and moves on.

So, not so much a double standard from the mods, more just different people being different and acting/reacting differently.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
Shinobi
Posts: 7600
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:33 am
Location: The Pride Lands

Re: Are there double standards on this forum

Post by Shinobi » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:06 pm

I remember Clarance and Greyfox got threatened with bans for mentioning 'Steve Davis snooker' and I'm sure Koops got a week ban (or warned with a ban)for mentioning Steve Davis in another thread.. A good friend of mine was also threatened with a ban for correcting a couple of articles in Retro Gamer with evidence including a reply from Jeff Minter on Twitter... Koops smarmy shock molesting pedant thread was the funniest thing ever, but he seems to be getting warned all the time about his posts being ban/warning material but they've only been in response to another posters who made far risque and wayward posts but isn't wasn't warned And when Koops made a post complaining about another users bullying it was deleted.. But I can where Koops is coming from with his post

New users do seem to be made unwelcome as when they post a thread its either ignored or told to use the search function...

I think I'm largely easy and get along with everybody as I come from the school of Hard knocks
Last edited by Shinobi on Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24901
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Are there double standards on this forum

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:08 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:I don't think there's a deliberate double standard applied, just a reaction from mods to reports.

For instance, I suspect The Laird has a macro set up to report any instance of anything ever that doesn't explicitly agree with his view at any given time. Unfortunately, this means mods have to react to that and act appropriately.

On the other hand, as Clarance has said, he doesn't report stuff, so hence you get things like The Beans' aggressive posts going untouched, since Clarance hasn't indicated he's upset or offended by them, he just posts a response in the thread if he feels like it and moves on.

So, not so much a double standard from the mods, more just different people being different and acting/reacting differently.
^as I said

I have reported posts in the past (wrestling thread was one) and all that has happened was no deleting of spammy/off topic messages

Then theres all those dupe threads (All those Wiiu threads)

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests