Are there double standards on this forum

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Are there double standards on this forum

Yes, clearly
11
44%
No, of course not
10
40%
Andre the Giant
4
16%
 
Total votes: 25

User avatar
clarance
Posts: 2699
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:54 pm
Location: The Fens
Contact:

Re: Are there double standards on this forum

Post by clarance » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:49 pm

koopa42 wrote:This is the thing, I don't even think about the report button before I press post, ever. I also don't know of any posts that have been reported (even though they obviously have) .... so do some members get told about posts they've had reported then? I have found that my (alleged offensive) posts are usually stealthily backdoor edited/deleted without warning/discussion or even acknowledgement and it is usually important to recheck your posts in a thread because of this just to find out there has been a modification. Do people get a report report about their reports then?

I carry the perception that all you have to do is report a post and the mods will come running in to help with your grievance. I know I've had some crazy post deletions and thread deletions by mods without letting me know about it.

One thread I posted was reported and got deleted because I posted an image of Stephen Hawkins - someone apparently complained that I was being discriminatory towards those with disability (of course, not my intention at all) It was a slightly strange thread topic to be honest, and no-one, it seems, 'got-it'. But the point was, the thread was deleted without question, and I was branded as a disabled-hater, and so it goes.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

User avatar
Nemesis
Posts: 1967
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:55 am
Location: Norwich, UK

Re: Are there double standards on this forum

Post by Nemesis » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:50 pm

No koops, I guess I've been a member for a while and kinda feel it might descend into a bun fight at some stage. You've picked two topics which could be highly incendiary for a forum debate but maybe I'm wrong.

There's no snide or arseness to my comments so far.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24399
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Are there double standards on this forum

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:51 pm

Nemesis wrote:This is getting a bit silly.....
Image

ON TOPIC!!
I have reported posts in the past that where totally off topic and instead of them buggering off they remained

User avatar
clarance
Posts: 2699
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:54 pm
Location: The Fens
Contact:

Re: Are there double standards on this forum

Post by clarance » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:53 pm

The Beans wrote:
clarance wrote:Well, clearly, yes.

I had, the other night, a member threaten me with violence, another posting blatant lies about my bad behaviour at retro events and chatrooms (?), personal insults, passive aggressive posts and snide sniggering PM's flying into inboxes, but of course, nothing happens other than all the guilty posts being removed and off we go again...
But I didn't threaten you with violence. You just like to make out as if I did because you like to play the victim once your hypocrisy is exposed.
So what would you call it then when someone says they would like to bash your head in? And what is the hypocrisy you are talking about? Genuine questions, cos I am genuinely baffled as to where you are coming from here.

This all started because you didn't like a view I expressed in the remembrance thread months ago...
Death may be your Santa Claus.

User avatar
koopa42
Posts: 5903
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:48 am
Location: Playing the victim apparently?

Re: Are there double standards on this forum

Post by koopa42 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:55 pm

Dprinny, in a post you have a picture (again I assume some sort of comedy gold) and THEN a post about getting back on topic? In the same post? AND about reporting things off topic? Could that be double standards/hypocrisy right there? Are you also trying to dump this thread? Like the other? Genuine question BTW, I'm not having a go.

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24399
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Are there double standards on this forum

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:56 pm

clarance wrote:
The Beans wrote:
clarance wrote:Well, clearly, yes.

I had, the other night, a member threaten me with violence, another posting blatant lies about my bad behaviour at retro events and chatrooms (?), personal insults, passive aggressive posts and snide sniggering PM's flying into inboxes, but of course, nothing happens other than all the guilty posts being removed and off we go again...
But I didn't threaten you with violence. You just like to make out as if I did because you like to play the victim once your hypocrisy is exposed.
So what would you call it then when someone says they would like to bash your head in? And what is the hypocrisy you are talking about? Genuine questions, cos I am genuinely baffled as to where you are coming from here.

This all started because you didn't like a view I expressed in the remembrance thread months ago...
Somedays I think we should all just rent a UFC cage and have it all out in one big fight

User avatar
koopa42
Posts: 5903
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:48 am
Location: Playing the victim apparently?

Re: Are there double standards on this forum

Post by koopa42 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:57 pm

DPrinny wrote: Somedays I think we should all just rent a UFC cage and have it all out in one big fight
How would that solve anything? and what does it have to do with double standard on this forum?

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24399
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Are there double standards on this forum

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:01 pm

koopa42 wrote:
DPrinny wrote: Somedays I think we should all just rent a UFC cage and have it all out in one big fight
How would that solve anything? and what does it have to do with double standard on this forum?
It has something to do with the comment I quoted

User avatar
koopa42
Posts: 5903
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:48 am
Location: Playing the victim apparently?

Re: Are there double standards on this forum

Post by koopa42 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:04 pm

DPrinny wrote:
koopa42 wrote:
DPrinny wrote: Somedays I think we should all just rent a UFC cage and have it all out in one big fight
How would that solve anything? and what does it have to do with double standard on this forum?
It has something to do with the comment I quoted
Again (much like the other thread) @Dprinny - I still don't really know what you are doing, I'm pretty sure it's a prime example of something I could report but won't because I'm not that bothered, I will however just ignore any posts that don't really have any relevance to my threads, which is all of them so far.

User avatar
The Beans
Posts: 3635
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 12:18 pm

Re: Are there double standards on this forum

Post by The Beans » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:11 pm

clarance wrote:
The Beans wrote:
clarance wrote:Well, clearly, yes.

I had, the other night, a member threaten me with violence, another posting blatant lies about my bad behaviour at retro events and chatrooms (?), personal insults, passive aggressive posts and snide sniggering PM's flying into inboxes, but of course, nothing happens other than all the guilty posts being removed and off we go again...
But I didn't threaten you with violence. You just like to make out as if I did because you like to play the victim once your hypocrisy is exposed.
So what would you call it then when someone says they would like to bash your head in? And what is the hypocrisy you are talking about? Genuine questions, cos I am genuinely baffled as to where you are coming from here.

This all started because you didn't like a view I expressed in the remembrance thread months ago...
You accused another member of posting something they wouldn't say to your face. The phrase you used to describe such people was "internet slimeballs". I remembered very clearly that you had crashed a respectful thread about Remembrance Day with a load of anti-government stuff because, hey, you're that sort of guy. The thread was derailed so badly it was locked. In the post you claim threatened you with violence I mentioned that your unwanted thread-crapping in that thread had me wanting to punch your lights out at the time. A very different thing to making a direct threat.
What I asked you to do was confirm whether you would do such a thing as crashing a memorial service in real life. Your eventual answer was that you wouldn't. Obvious hypocrisy then, the man who accuses others of being an internet slimeball is one himself. Unless you're admitting to it, of course.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

User avatar
koopa42
Posts: 5903
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:48 am
Location: Playing the victim apparently?

Re: Are there double standards on this forum

Post by koopa42 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:20 pm

Now then, Beans and Clarence are continuing things from at least a couple of separate threads in this thread, and both have posted things that could be considered 'report' worthy in the aforementioned threads yet neither (to my knowledge) has received a ban, tying in nicely to this thread about double standards. Other members seem to have been banned for a lot less and/or being perceived to be continuing something inappropriate. Are we seeing double standards playing out right now?

User avatar
koopa42
Posts: 5903
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:48 am
Location: Playing the victim apparently?

Re: Are there double standards on this forum

Post by koopa42 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:26 pm

Another forum I frequent has a 'thin ice' system, where a member (I assume) is warned and is shown as on 'thin ice' for a set amount of time. This would be an option on here so people could see when they are close to 'perceived to be' causing trouble. Then again, it would be useless for as long as any 'cliques' are in place (or PM circles, secret meets chat etc) which could abuse that system. In fact, seeing as there is a divide on here sometimes about content/posting styles, some members would be considered on thin ice at all times just down to their way of posting. Scratch that idea, it would be useless on here.

Again, this is a genuine thread, I'd like to see more transparency on the treatment of certain members when compared to certain other members.

User avatar
clarance
Posts: 2699
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:54 pm
Location: The Fens
Contact:

Re: Are there double standards on this forum

Post by clarance » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:30 pm

The Beans wrote:
You accused another member of posting something they wouldn't say to your face. The phrase you used to describe such people was "internet slimeballs". I remembered very clearly that you had crashed a respectful thread about Remembrance Day with a load of anti-government stuff because, hey, you're that sort of guy. The thread was derailed so badly it was locked. In the post you claim threatened you with violence I mentioned that your unwanted thread-crapping in that thread had me wanting to punch your lights out at the time. A very different thing to making a direct threat.
What I asked you to do was confirm whether you would do such a thing as crashing a memorial service in real life. Your eventual answer was that you wouldn't. Obvious hypocrisy then, the man who accuses others of being an internet slimeball is one himself. Unless you're admitting to it, of course.
Well, I don't remember it that way at all - again, your perception of some posts on a forum is different to mine, but then those posts have been deleted now... so you may have a point regarding my hypocrisy - I don't see it that way at all.

As to the remembrance thread - I don't see it as a derailment to post a view that is different to the OP - and MPM decided to lock the thread for all the wrong reasons, in my opinion. But then, hey, I'm that sort of guy :roll:

And any way, still hardly a reason to want to punch my lights out - if you don't see that as a violent threat, or at the very least, violent intimidation, then I really don't know.

And yet you don't get a ban?
Death may be your Santa Claus.

flatapex
Posts: 2700
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 6:30 pm
Contact:

Re: Are there double standards on this forum

Post by flatapex » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:32 pm

erm......cheese footballs.

i dont know or care if there is favouritsm on the forum, i have met a few rg peeps, including darran and markopoloman, everyone i met would fall into the category of 'great bunch o' lads'

I have been a forum mod for *counts on fingers* 6 years, blimey didnt think it was that long. being human you will like one person more than another, same as anyone that reads this might think 'oh god not him again' the key is to let sense rule over playground. on the forum i moderate on some people make me want to groan, others i want to buy them a pint. i moderate all posts the same, some however i trust more than others to follow the rules.
true story about a year before i became a mod i was nearly thrown off the forum because i posted a video, it was a thread about favourite comedians, rich hall said something like f-ing something in the video and i was nearly banned for posting an obscene link :lol:
a year later the mod that i later found out reported it stepped down and i applied for his job and got it, he left the forum soon afterwards.

oh and if you want favouritism the first forum i ever joined was a car forum, i disagreed with someone and i was hounded to death till i left, i even reported to mods and was ignored, wrote a topic about it which was deleted, as where most things i posted as i wasnt in 'the clique'. i think my final topic was a goodbye which was deleted too. i think it changed hands a few times as i think it was a company that the moderation was outsourced to.
oh and another forum there was a clique that used to post 'other place, other place' which was exposed to be a secret forum used to insult other members, one member got drunk, posted that it existed, then proceeded to say what had been said about people (about 15 members got very personal insults) the other people came on and defended what had been said. no-one got banned and many are still there over 6 years on. another posted about a member of the site some very personal and inappropraite things including his real name and allegations about him luring women into having affairs, again no bans
Image

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14892
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: Are there double standards on this forum

Post by Megamixer » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:34 pm

koopa42 wrote:In fact, seeing as there is a divide on here sometimes about content/posting styles, some members would be considered on thin ice at all times just down to their way of posting. Scratch that idea, it would be useless on here.
Shouldn't it just be down to the AUP? I would have thought such a system would work if it relates to something that everybody has an oppurtunity to read before they sign up and start posting away. It shouldn't be down to the 'mood' of the forum.

I might get some conflicting responses to this but I don't think there are enough mods on this forum. If these threads of Koopa's 'explode' tonight then nobody is there to keep it under control anyway. Some much smaller forums seem to have as many mods as regular members.

But we should be able to moderate ourselves really. I don't think there's anybody on here who's only here to cause trouble. I saw some of those C&VG threads (from a link on here) where practically every member in the thread was either a clone account, banned or only there to cause chaos. Nobody is that bad on here. Nowhere near.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests