No, of course not
40%
Andre the Giant
16%

Total votes: 25

Treguard

Re: Are there double standards on this forum

Post by Treguard » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:06 pm

I used to be on a forum that had a super secret 'other place' where they talked about other members, I was invited to join as I wrote for the site, but turned it down. Overall I think this is one of the most polite and well-mannered places on the internet, but there are those people who just set out to be offended- hell, its kept the Daily Mail in business for years, why shouldn't it happen here?

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:14 pm

clarance wrote:So it seems then, that to get a ban, you would more than likely have to have your posts reported before anything is done? However, if you blatantly break the AUP, no-one complains, you're more than likely to get off? That there is, at the least an unfair inconsistency.

And just for the record, I don't want The Beans given a ban, or anyone else for that matter. I happen to think bans are, for the most part, petty and pointless (Isn't DRIP still posting under an different name now?) Merely pointing out inconsistencies that leads to people (me!) getting peed-off.
None of the mods here can check every single post. So if someone posts something racist/bullying/spammy for example, if i dont see it i cant act. But if someone reports it then the report goes to all the mods and then we can decide what to do.

If something is offensive reporting it will obviously get it looked at/checked/possibly deleted. If you dont report it we cant expect to find every 'breaking the AUP' post on the forum. That'll be the same on most forums hence the report post button

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:33 am

markopoloman wrote: We are also only talking about 6 or so people out of the whole forum membership.
Yet there are 9 votes for double standards? Showing there are more than just these '6' that feel there are double standards. Interesting stuff.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:42 am

I voted yes, but for different reasons as stated. others may have done the same.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:49 am

That could be the case. It also might not be.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:09 am

koopa42 wrote:
markopoloman wrote: We are also only talking about 6 or so people out of the whole forum membership.
Yet there are 9 votes for double standards? Showing there are more than just these '6' that feel there are double standards. Interesting stuff.
I notice you selected a part of my post that was not to do with double standards. Maybe you did that so people think I cant count, maybe you didn't and it was a simple mistake.
The part of my post you selected was regarding people using the report button or sending me PM's about other people. Interesting indeed.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:16 am

markopoloman wrote:
koopa42 wrote:
I notice you selected a part of my post that was not to do with double standards. Maybe you did that so people think I cant count, maybe you didn't and it was a simple mistake.
The part of my post you selected was regarding people using the report button or sending me PM's about other people. Interesting indeed.

I selected a part that I wanted to select, it was a point that I wanted to make, no-one else. Is a rule against that now? Feel free to 'moderate' it as you or your fellow mods see fit if I have broken any rules. If not? I take your opinion on board, whether I agree with it? well that's up to me? isn't it?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:25 am

6 people routinely report posts, or post crap etc.

9 people have polled to say there's a double standard.

Where's the problem? The two facts coexist happily.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:32 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:6 people routinely report posts, or post crap etc.

9 people have polled to say there's a double standard.

Where's the problem? The two facts coexist happily.
Is there a problem then?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:49 am

Only a problem in as far as 9 people think there are double standards.

Not a problem with the two separate figures quoted.

It would be nice if we could resolve things so at least most of those 9 are satisfied.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:09 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Only a problem in as far as 9 people think there are double standards.

Not a problem with the two separate figures quoted.

It would be nice if we could resolve things so at least most of those 9 are satisfied.
I might add another option on my latest poll, I hadn't considered members that are happy with the way things are irrelevant of any problems as it might not apply to them.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:46 am

koopa42 wrote:

I selected a part that I wanted to select, it was a point that I wanted to make, no-one else. Is a rule against that now? Feel free to 'moderate' it as you or your fellow mods see fit if I have broken any rules. If not? I take your opinion on board, whether I agree with it? well that's up to me? isn't it?
Really? You selected a part that didn't equate to your response. So you are saying you selected something that doesn't relate to your reply because you wanted to make a point?! About what? About 9 people in the poll or about the 6 that report/pm? Double standards are your current topic - you posses the ability to stop yourself from having them, yet continue to use them. Why is this or am I mistaken?

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:56 am

Yes, you are mistaken. In my opinion. I'll not continue it with you because that would feed into the steamrollering that could be considered rife on here. I'm sure you believe you are correct and I'm sure I have no intention of trying to convince you otherwise. Thankyou for the input, it's all relevant.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:05 am

koopa42 wrote:Yes, you are mistaken. In my opinion. I'll not continue it with you because that would feed into the steamrollering that could be considered rife on here. I'm sure you believe you are correct and I'm sure I have no intention of trying to convince you otherwise. Thankyou for the input, it's all relevant.
I'm sure you are having a wonderful time with this stuff, but steamrollering? You quoted my post, took info that isn't anything to do with 'double standards' to use in you argument that there are double standards. You could always just say that you didn't read my post properly and admit you used the wrong figure.

Back to the question about double standards, I'm sure the main target is the moderation, but I think, and it has been pointed out already, that double standards are rife with the members - including the OP.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:12 am

Wonderful? No, just interesting. As your owner has said, I won't be posting in the threads anymore so you can leave it at that.