No, of course not
40%
Andre the Giant
16%

Total votes: 25

koopa42

Are there double standards on this forum

Post by koopa42 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:58 pm

As stated in the other few threads, it would seem people believe they can have a civilised discussion on this forum. I'd like to see if that's the case with a simple enough thread. Do you believe there are double standards/favouritism on this forum? I mean in general, are there members that are allowed to get away with certain things yet others get hammered for the exact same (or worse) thing? Just vote and put your thoughts up, try to avoid any name calling if you can because I wouldn't want any reason for the powers that be to have for pulling this legitimate thread down.

Discuss

DPrinny

Re: Are there double standards on this forum

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:29 pm

In before lock

It seems that way at times

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:41 pm

This is getting a bit silly.....
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:43 pm

I had to vote for Andre because while I'm aware of certain incidents/people that have done things below the radar, I don't think it's blatantly obvious all the time. Users that don't visit regularly or don't stay logged in for long periods at a time probably won't notice anything.

Personally I never get the sense that double standards are rife on the forum but at the same time I remember somebody (I can't remember who) quoting and responding to a post with something along the lines of "F*** off you c**t" and nothing happened with that. Yet others have been warned/had their posts deleted for heated arguments that haven't gotten anywhere near as offensive.

I think it's also important to remember that the mod team is tiny and can't see everything. I don't know exactly what mod status others had but the likes of Fattrucker, mohicankid etc. don't seem to post on here anymore. Darren is busy with the mag, Marko can't be on here 24/7 and I'm pretty sure the rest are only spambusters?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:03 pm

Nemesis wrote:This is getting a bit silly.....
Why is that? I'm genuinely interested in what is silly?

clarance

Post by clarance » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:04 pm

Well, clearly, yes.

I had, the other night, a member threaten me with violence, another posting blatant lies about my bad behaviour at retro events and chatrooms (?), personal insults, passive aggressive posts and snide sniggering PM's flying into inboxes, but of course, nothing happens other than all the guilty posts being removed and off we go again...

Then on the other hand, someone will swear a bit, not play by the rules, and get a ban...

There seems to be a clique of posters that are quick to hit the report button, like to communicate with each other behind the veil of the PM and are very aware of how to toe the line regarding forum rules...

Bit sad really, but it seems to come down to certain 'personalities' taking themselves and their point of view far, far too seriously. On a retro games forum...
Death may be your Santa Claus.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:21 pm

OK, so the report thing? Can you report anything? could I report someone for what I consider either spamming a thread, trying to derail, or what I consider an attempt at humour which I don't want in said thread? ....... and should I do that? would it matter or would I have to have a 'throng' of members ready to back me? Much like when you beat a clan online then find the whole team have reported you in bad taste? OR is it a case of 'get the right mod at the right time and you'll doom someone'

I rarely use the report button, although I have used it twice (I think) in the years on this forum, once for some VERY inappropriate posting and another time when I was actually ASKED to by a mod no less. I'm certainly not going to start using the report now but it would be good to get an open thread about just how it is used (and how effectively) by certain members .... be that fair or unfair.
Last edited by koopa42 on Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:21 pm

I can understand that moderation on a forum with a lot of gamers can never be easy. On the whole I think they get it right barring one or two errors (they are only human after all) That said there are a few users with double standards that have no real interest in retro gaming or gaming in general, no specific opinions on any aspect of it but exist only to pervert gaming and non gaming threads.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

clarance

Post by clarance » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:30 pm

koopa42 wrote:OK, so the report thing? Can you report anything? could I report someone for what I consider either spamming a thread, trying to derail, or what I consider an attempt at humour which I don't want in said thread? ....... and should I do that? would it matter or would I have to have a 'throng' of members ready to back me? Much like when you beat a clan online then find the whole team have reported you in bad taste? OR is it a case of 'get the right mod at the right time and you'll doom someone'

I rarely use the report button, although I have used it twice (I think) in the years on this forum, once for some VERY inappropriate posting and another time when I was actually ASKED to by a mod no less. I'm certainly not going to start using the report now but it would be good to get an open thread about just how it is used (and how effectively) by certain members .... be that fair or unfair.

Well I've never used it, don't see the need - I'm just sharing views on a retro games forum, nothing is that bad that I need to, I think. But I know it's been used against me many, many times - all without reason, or maybe misunderstanding - and some posters just report every post I make :)

It gets to the point that you wonder if you should hit the post button, cos you just know that the reports will be mounting up - must be fun for the MODS as well...
Death may be your Santa Claus.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:31 pm

koopa42 wrote:
Well, what with this thread and the one about bullying, there's a high probability that it will turn into some kind of bun fight. Should increase site traffic if nothing else though.

However, I will doff my hat off to you if this thread peters out in a polite and cordial manner.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:32 pm

I can honestly say that I've never used the report button for anything other than spam (which thankfully seems to have died off at long last).

I think we're old enough to know when to ignore something provocative or when to back-down from an escalating back-and-forth for the sake of the thread and its derailment. Plus, I'd rather just block somebody than go about reporting them all the time. Thankfully the only person's posts I've ever had to block was DreamcastRIP.

For me the report button is only for something offensive on a serious level or something that is illegal/highly immoral but I've not seen something that dodgy on here that I can remember.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:34 pm

Megamixer wrote:I can honestly say that I've never used the report button for anything other than spam (which thankfully seems to have died off at long last).

I think we're old enough to know when to ignore something provocative or when to back-down from an escalating back-and-forth for the sake of the thread and its derailment. Plus, I'd rather just block somebody than go about reporting them all the time. Thankfully the only person's posts I've ever had to block was DreamcastRIP.

For me the report button is only for something offensive on a serious level or something that is illegal/highly immoral but I've not seen something that dodgy on here that I can remember.
Never used the report button, don't even know where it is yet! Lol Can't say I'd want to though as I trust the mods to take any disciplinary action.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:35 pm

This is the thing, I don't even think about the report button before I press post, ever. I also don't know of any posts that have been reported (even though they obviously have) .... so do some members get told about posts they've had reported then? I have found that my (alleged offensive) posts are usually stealthily backdoor edited/deleted without warning/discussion or even acknowledgement and it is usually important to recheck your posts in a thread because of this just to find out there has been a modification. Do people get a report report about their reports then?

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:40 pm

Nemesis wrote:
koopa42 wrote:
Well, what with this thread and the one about bullying, there's a high probability that it will turn into some kind of bun fight. Should increase site traffic if nothing else though.

However, I will doff my hat off to you if this thread peters out in a polite and cordial manner.
Could this be perceived as the start of the aforementioned bun fight? If I am wrong? I apologise but (as stated in more than a few threads of late) this could be read as one of the snide/sly/fire and forget posts that lead to problems, in fact that's why I asked 'what is silly'. If I'm reading too much into it? I apologise but I am trying to see just what people think are these 'trouble starting' posts in threads, because I think they need to be stamped out then.

As for the 2 threads I posted? I did mention that I didn't think they were the same, linked maybe but not the same discussion, hence they have 2 differing polls.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:47 pm

clarance wrote:Well, clearly, yes.

I had, the other night, a member threaten me with violence, another posting blatant lies about my bad behaviour at retro events and chatrooms (?), personal insults, passive aggressive posts and snide sniggering PM's flying into inboxes, but of course, nothing happens other than all the guilty posts being removed and off we go again...
But I didn't threaten you with violence. You just like to make out as if I did because you like to play the victim once your hypocrisy is exposed.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.