play blackpool, 2-5 may 2015

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Treguard

Re: play blackpool, 2-5 may 2015

Post by Treguard » Tue May 05, 2015 12:49 pm

flatapex wrote:
ArchaicKoala wrote:
flatapex wrote: I'll keep an eye out for you dude.

Spent £40 on a total of 4 items, 3 are boxed snes games
I'm intrigued as to what the boxed SNES games are... I'm hoping to pick up a mouse and copy of Mario Paint tomorrow.

I'm aiming to get to the Norbreck for 10 at the latest, leaving home at about 7:45 so will manage it easily :D
I bought a snes mouse a bit back, they are a pain to find but I researched their availability so will happily help you to locate one
If you didn't manage to get one, I've got one I'm looking to sell?

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Tue May 05, 2015 1:00 pm

Lorfarius wrote:When I went yesterday I gave a print out of my 3 day ticket and they gave me a wrist band, wasn't told anything beyond the entrance is over there. So last night I travel back to the hotel and tear it off thinking I've still got my print out so they will just use that as I hadn't been told any different. The hotel we were staying in was 5 miles away so not just down the road from the venue.

I'm pretty sure it was mohicankid with the bunched up hair who I have spoken to before and until now I wasn't aware of ever falling out with him, he refuses to let me in the door. I explained I wouldn't be able to find it as I'd binned it on the way back to the hotel and told that "you might have given it away to someone else so nothing I can do".

I wasn't arguing, talked quite sensibly and walked back thinking I'll have to go buy another ticket. Lo and behold a guy walks up to him mere moments later and says he's lost his wristband so what can he do, he's told by mohicankid to just talk to the woman on the ticket desk and let inside. I was stood about 20 meters away in the same corridor.

So I checked out of the hotel and came home a day early. We were there covering the event for the RVG podcast and Dan the cohost had kept his wristband so went back inside as we still needed to do a review. The worst part for me is I was going to go back to Funstock and buy a Retron5 as they'd knocked a bit off from the website one, left it yesterday as I'd parked so far away :(
Very poor customer service/ organisation (inexcusable if something personal). I have been to a lot of events, conferences etc... no one makes you hold on to your original ticket/bit of paper for three days - you exchange it for a wrist band or other kind of pass covering the number of days you are attending. You should have at least had the opportunity to get another.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Wed May 06, 2015 7:51 am

psj3809 wrote:^One saturday night you'll have to come down to Arcade Club. They're the guys who own all the arcade machines at the retro shows. Its in Haslingden so not 'too far' from you. 6pm-10pm, pay £10, all games are free play its superb !
i sure will , only 50 miles away , going to try and get down in june !
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Wed May 06, 2015 10:07 am

I had a great time, enjoyed it immensely. Failed with the whole looking around trying to recognise people, but did bump into somebody who I knew from my time in my old job, and he was with Andy from funstock, so said hello to him too.

We had a similar experience with the wrist tags in some ways... we weren't told anything about needing to keep them for the next two days, so took them off when we got back to the hotel. We were also given the printed out ticket back on the first day. Turned up on the second day, and it was "only" because we were recognised from the day before that we got away with it, apparently... :? Then they kept hold of the printed out ticket after that, too. I think if they implement a system like that it really is imperative to tell people the wrist band is for all three days...!

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Wed May 06, 2015 11:03 am

I need to check out that arcade place. It's just far enough away to be a ballache but near enough to be doable. Sort of.

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Wed May 06, 2015 12:50 pm

I went up for 2 days this year (Sunday & Monday) and really enjoyed it, although it was a shame ProjectorGames weren't there.

Still, I got to play on a load more arcade games than I'd done at any previous event, which was good, as I'm not usually an arcadey person and it was the first time I'd ever had a proper go on Salamander, which I really enjoyed. It was also nice to just pick up and play a load of old console games that I'd never considered before.

I had a look at quite a few of the indie games too, with Theo & Lizzy looking promising, and Porcunipine being on my purchase list as soon as it's released, although I was disappointed that the Overcooked game wasn't there. In fact, the indie presence decreased as the event went on. What was that all about?

Also, Shoot 'em up kit looks fantastic, but while I'd love to have a go at it, I just know there's no chance I'd be able to dedicate the time to using it properly. And 'Push For Emor' on the Oculus Rift showed me exactly what was possible on VR; the other tech demos I'd previously looked at on the Rift were interesting, but having a zombie/monster storm towards me as I'm wearing the headset made for a genuinely terrifying experience, and that was without headphones on as well.

My son won the Minecraft tournament too, which was a bonus :)

Suggested improvements? If the event is advertised as 10-6 every day, it's not really the done thing for some people to start packing up their stands at 3pm (or earlier, in the case of some indie game stalls). Sure, they may have been there since Saturday, but there were a lot of people who'd paid for a Monday ticket.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu May 07, 2015 7:51 am

RetroBob wrote:Very poor customer service/ organisation (inexcusable if something personal). I have been to a lot of events, conferences etc... no one makes you hold on to your original ticket/bit of paper for three days - you exchange it for a wrist band or other kind of pass covering the number of days you are attending. You should have at least had the opportunity to get another.
I'm sure he could have just showed the booking on his phone on an email or even the paypal site. I rarely take any 'bits of paper' to any shows, just show emails which can be scanned etc

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu May 07, 2015 7:53 am

Bluce_Ree wrote:I need to check out that arcade place. It's just far enough away to be a ballache but near enough to be doable. Sort of.
Sometimes they have the odd special occasion, eg the other week 'Veteran Gamers' rented the place out from 1pm-6pm so it was cool to go in the day. But normally the times are 6-10pm every saturday. Getting quite busy now so theres a bit of 'old skool' queueing on some arcade machines.

But a great place to go to, i know i keep prattling on about it but its just amazing having this arcade with 80+ machines in there and move (pinball/retro computers). Well worth a trip

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu May 07, 2015 7:55 am

RetroBob wrote:
Lorfarius wrote:When I went yesterday I gave a print out of my 3 day ticket and they gave me a wrist band, wasn't told anything beyond the entrance is over there. So last night I travel back to the hotel and tear it off thinking I've still got my print out so they will just use that as I hadn't been told any different. The hotel we were staying in was 5 miles away so not just down the road from the venue.
I'm pretty sure it was mohicankid with the bunched up hair who I have spoken to before and until now I wasn't aware of ever falling out with him, he refuses to let me in the door. I explained I wouldn't be able to find it as I'd binned it on the way back to the hotel and told that "you might have given it away to someone else so nothing I can do".
I wasn't arguing, talked quite sensibly and walked back thinking I'll have to go buy another ticket. Lo and behold a guy walks up to him mere moments later and says he's lost his wristband so what can he do, he's told by mohicankid to just talk to the woman on the ticket desk and let inside. I was stood about 20 meters away in the same corridor.
So I checked out of the hotel and came home a day early. We were there covering the event for the RVG podcast and Dan the cohost had kept his wristband so went back inside as we still needed to do a review. The worst part for me is I was going to go back to Funstock and buy a Retron5 as they'd knocked a bit off from the website one, left it yesterday as I'd parked so far away :(
Very poor customer service/ organisation (inexcusable if something personal). I have been to a lot of events, conferences etc... no one makes you hold on to your original ticket/bit of paper for three days - you exchange it for a wrist band or other kind of pass covering the number of days you are attending. You should have at least had the opportunity to get another.
I would like to take the opportunity to state that this was absolutely not anything personal (as Mohicankid has already explained to Lofarius by personal message). As with all of our shows, if you are coming for multiple days you will be given a wristband that covers the whole period (otherwise you would have to queue for another one each day adding unnecessary delays). If someone arrives at the event without a ticket or wristband then the staff working the door are not able to let them in. This is absolutely standard practice for any event as otherwise we would have hundreds of people claiming they had lost their ticket/band and getting in for free. Would you expect to get into a gig with no ticket?
On this occasion Keith stated that his ticket/band was back at his hotel and was told he would need to go back and get it on the assumption that the hotel was nearby. If it had been explained that this wasn't possible then he would have been sent to the front desk to speak to someone with the authority to decide if they should issue a new band (which would have been me and as I know that Keith received a free press pass for the weekend I would have let him in).

I hope everyone can see that this was an unfortunate misunderstanding and that Mohicankid had no personal issues with Keith, he was simply following the correct procedure for his queue marshalling role.

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Thu May 07, 2015 8:20 am

I'm only a few days late but here goes... :lol:

I went for Sunday and (part of) Monday - Overall I had great time!

The arcades and console selections were great although I was slightly disappointed there was no Goldeneye to play on the N64 consoles but hey ho. It was great to play Midnight Resistance with the spinner joystick, I was amazed at how well it plays like that!

The traders haul was a bit of a let down this year with only a fraction of the amount when compared to last year but I still managed to pick up a few bits and pieces so can't complain overall.

As others have already stated, seeing Dragon's Lair running on a ZX81 was just amazing (witchcraft I tell thee!) I had a nice chat with Jim and he kindly signed my Game Boy copy of Hudson Hawk for me :mrgreen: It was a shame that he was stuck in the far corner as I only spotted him when I was walking back from the Llamasoft stand (which as normal was fantastic)

I bumped into Flatapex (the awkward bugger! :p ) and had a good chat with him, great guy and look forward to catching up with again at the next event :) Also bumped into a few other event regulars and had a quick chat with them, I could very easily spend the whole weekend just chatting with people but the games are calling!

Retrocollect did a fantastic job running the challenges and the Random Fighting Game Tournament but that's always a given these days in my opinion.

I'll leave it at that but overall I had a great but tiring weekend, I can't wait for Manchester! :mrgreen:

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Thu May 07, 2015 9:50 am

SirClive wrote:
RetroBob wrote:
I would like to take the opportunity to state that this was absolutely not anything personal (as Mohicankid has already explained to Lofarius by personal message). As with all of our shows, if you are coming for multiple days you will be given a wristband that covers the whole period (otherwise you would have to queue for another one each day adding unnecessary delays). If someone arrives at the event without a ticket or wristband then the staff working the door are not able to let them in. This is absolutely standard practice for any event as otherwise we would have hundreds of people claiming they had lost their ticket/band and getting in for free. Would you expect to get into a gig with no ticket?
On this occasion Keith stated that his ticket/band was back at his hotel and was told he would need to go back and get it on the assumption that the hotel was nearby. If it had been explained that this wasn't possible then he would have been sent to the front desk to speak to someone with the authority to decide if they should issue a new band (which would have been me and as I know that Keith received a free press pass for the weekend I would have let him in).

I hope everyone can see that this was an unfortunate misunderstanding and that Mohicankid had no personal issues with Keith, he was simply following the correct procedure for his queue marshalling role.
Personal issues aside I had my ticket with me and showed it to him explaining the situation, I did say to him the hotel was way up past the Pleasure Beach which he seems to be forgetting. He wouldn't let me in so it's not like I could just go the ticket desk or speak to someone else.

If you are going to operate a system where it's wristband or nothing then you must state this when people pick them up, at the very least stick up a sign at the ticket collection point. We were both given wrist bands and nothing was said about type/colour or condition, it might very well be at other events they operate such a system but you can bet they tell the people coming in this is the case :?

Despite all this he still let someone in right after me without a ticket, let alone a wristband which is wrong. Can't enforce such a rule on one person then change your mind moments later.

I was booked in to a B&B for Sunday and Monday night, but because of this I had to come home Sunday morning and had to pay the extra nights (with the bad weather Blackpool wandering was off limits). For me it ruined the entire weekend for a very stupid reason.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu May 07, 2015 9:56 am

^the term 1000s of faces in 100s of places springs to mind, some times door people are so busy that things can blend in,

Even I have been told to "Keep your sodding wrist band on" plenty of times, they do still stay on after a shower

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Thu May 07, 2015 10:07 am

DPrinny wrote:^the term 1000s of faces in 100s of places springs to mind, some times door people are so busy that things can blend in,

Even I have been told to "Keep your sodding wrist band on" plenty of times, they do still stay on after a shower
Just because you have been to an event with wristbands before doesn't mean everyone else has. But notice how they told you to keep your sodding wrist band on. Here there wasn't so much as a hint, bad form.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu May 07, 2015 10:18 am

Lorfarius wrote:
DPrinny wrote:^the term 1000s of faces in 100s of places springs to mind, some times door people are so busy that things can blend in,

Just because you have been to an event with wristbands before doesn't mean everyone else has. But notice how they told you to keep your sodding wrist band on. Here there wasn't so much as a hint, bad form.
No you misunderstand, this was not at the door and was at a different event I was working at
I have herd a lot worse things at different ones "You aint f**king getting in" Ive done doorman training and everybody is equal, ok your on walking sticks or have trouble standing for long periods of time, heres a chair now get back in line

But sometimes peoples minds skip and things are forgotten (work on the door for four ours on the trot and it does become a blur)
But there should be some kind of thing on the ticket or wrist band stating that you should keep it with you, this applies to all places that give them out, saves a lot of bother

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu May 07, 2015 11:01 am

Personally I would NEVER advocate using wrist bands for an event over multiple days, unless you issue a different band for each day. Having one band for three days is bad practice imo, because anything can happen to them over that time period. Including wanting to take a shower, and that you often get quite sweaty wrists underneath it! Better thing imo would be a printed pass in a lanyard with number of days shown on it and the person's name. Or is that not done either to prevent people selling on their passes? All big US events I've been to have printed passes in lanyards for the entire show, and I've not seen that adversely affect them.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...