Re: play blackpool, 2-5 may 2015

Post by the_hawk » Sat May 02, 2015 2:46 am

You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Sat May 02, 2015 12:21 pm

I'll be around tomorrow (Sunday for those that don't check when things are posted :P ) wearing my regular blue album Weezer tshirt.

If you see me feel free to say hello, i'll probably be ogling many of the games and consoles that I can't afford :lol:

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sat May 02, 2015 2:34 pm

ArchaicKoala wrote:I'll be around tomorrow (Sunday for those that don't check when things are posted :P ) wearing my regular blue album Weezer tshirt.

If you see me feel free to say hello, i'll probably be ogling many of the games and consoles that I can't afford :lol:
I'll keep an eye out for you dude.

Spent £40 on a total of 4 items, 3 are boxed snes games

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Sat May 02, 2015 5:48 pm

flatapex wrote: I'll keep an eye out for you dude.

I'm intrigued as to what the boxed SNES games are... I'm hoping to pick up a mouse and copy of Mario Paint tomorrow.

I'm aiming to get to the Norbreck for 10 at the latest, leaving home at about 7:45 so will manage it easily :D

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sat May 02, 2015 6:34 pm

ArchaicKoala wrote:
flatapex wrote: I'll keep an eye out for you dude.

I'm intrigued as to what the boxed SNES games are... I'm hoping to pick up a mouse and copy of Mario Paint tomorrow.

I'm aiming to get to the Norbreck for 10 at the latest, leaving home at about 7:45 so will manage it easily :D
I bought a snes mouse a bit back, they are a pain to find but I researched their availability so will happily help you to locate one

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sat May 02, 2015 7:42 pm

Anyone looking for me tomorrow should look for a guy with a blue tshirt that says geek show

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Sun May 03, 2015 5:54 am

Play Blackpool was great. Highlights for me;

Meeting Pacman83 and chatting for 10 mins about the perfect game.

Loads of arcade machines but definitely reignited my love for Wonderboy and also I got into Salamander for the first time which was really good. I've played it before but this is the first time it was good.

Finding a Speccy with a DivIDE interface and using it to load Quazatron which I then completed.

TxK on PS4 (with 3D glasses). AMAZING. Also, then played it on Oculus Rift while Minter's partner talked me through everything to do with it. Astonishingly good.

Found a stall selling Pop Vinyls. Got a Skeletor and a Robocop. Looking FAB in my games room.

Playing Bomb Jack on MSX. Best conversion ever. Wow.

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Sun May 03, 2015 9:31 am

When I went yesterday I gave a print out of my 3 day ticket and they gave me a wrist band, wasn't told anything beyond the entrance is over there. So last night I travel back to the hotel and tear it off thinking I've still got my print out so they will just use that as I hadn't been told any different. The hotel we were staying in was 5 miles away so not just down the road from the venue.

I'm pretty sure it was mohicankid with the bunched up hair who I have spoken to before and until now I wasn't aware of ever falling out with him, he refuses to let me in the door. I explained I wouldn't be able to find it as I'd binned it on the way back to the hotel and told that "you might have given it away to someone else so nothing I can do".

I wasn't arguing, talked quite sensibly and walked back thinking I'll have to go buy another ticket. Lo and behold a guy walks up to him mere moments later and says he's lost his wristband so what can he do, he's told by mohicankid to just talk to the woman on the ticket desk and let inside. I was stood about 20 meters away in the same corridor.

So I checked out of the hotel and came home a day early. We were there covering the event for the RVG podcast and Dan the cohost had kept his wristband so went back inside as we still needed to do a review. The worst part for me is I was going to go back to Funstock and buy a Retron5 as they'd knocked a bit off from the website one, left it yesterday as I'd parked so far away :(
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Mon May 04, 2015 4:31 pm

gees man thats bad :(

my review of all things blackpool related:
I did 2 days at the show, arrived on Friday, had a day in Blackpool, did our usual visit to coral island, crazy golf at the pleasure beach, then off to the p.i at bispham to check in. we had our tea at bispham Cheap MDF rubbish, then as we were leaving we noticed some guy being stretchered out of a restaurant on the same street, hope the poor dude is ok. exhausted we went to the hotel, then did Saturday and Sunday at the show.

On the Saturday we went for breakfast at the cafe over the road, my fried egg sandwich was nice enough but the wife was less than impressed with her cheese toastie which was made with 2 different types of cheese :?
The queuing wasnt too bad, was slightly confused about why we couldnt queue in the corridor (fire regulations possibly?) but we got in soon enough. In we went and it was an oasis of noise, consoles, arcades. Loads of cool things. I had a look around the traders hall, this was the one bit that disappointed me slightly compared to last year, there seemed to be a lot less in the way of traders. I took my gameboy along hoping that gameboymods would be there again, he wasnt :(
One of the highlights of the day was the occulus on the llamasoft stand, a real battering for the senses :lol:
I met up with a fellow collector that I already knew and he pointed out a bargain for me, which I went over and bought, picked up a couple more nice items, there were some amazing arcade machines, although if i was to give one tiny piece of feedback, can we please have chairs next to the driving games? makes them infinitely more intuitive to play as driving is done sat down :wink:

Anyway day 1 over and done, 6pm came VERY quickly, went to blackpool in the evening, which was as lively as expected, everywhere seemed really busy if they did food.

Day 2 and a massive breakfast in the hotel this time, found a snes with rock n roll racing, and a ps1 with micro maniacs, rock n roll racing was too easy, micro maniacs was a riot, found a copy cheaply in the trading hall, essential purchase really. Next up was another occulus game, this time it was based on horse racing of all things, it also had its own......well it reminded me a bit of a bucking bronco :lol: , one of those combined with an occulus is a mad experience :lol:
Managed to spot Archaic Koala (we met at last years event I think it was, albeit briefly, so planned on having more of an in depth catch up), what a cool guy. Another highlight was the Steve Lycett talk, he really is a genuinely engaging guy and also signed my copy of outrun 2006 for the psp :D
Played some more games (including the motocross ps4 game which is tough but really good) and qbert (again tough but fun), we walked back with A.K and ended up going out that night, like I said he is an absolutely top guy :D

Absolutely exhausted today, bring on manchester :D

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue May 05, 2015 4:57 am

Well sadly only had the one day this year there but really enjoyed it. Shame there wasnt any pinball though but tons of arcade machines. Had a go on a fair few computers, bit of deathmatch Doom as well. Nice to see a few Speccys there with a divide, its funny as me and jdanddiet were waiting to get on the Speccy to play Match Day, saw a bloke playing Quazatron and thought 'this will take a while, i'll come back', didnt realise it was probably Bluce Ree !

Heard some of the Oliver twins talk which was really good. Enjoyed the usual fish n chips with SirClive at lunch. Felt a bit sorry for Jim Bagley right at the top of the hall ! Amazing seeing Dragons Lair on that ZX81 though.

Met a fair few people, finally met the_hawk (top bloke) and was good to meet the regulars. Gutted i could only go the one day.

Shame about the issues Lorfarius had, didnt you have an email on your phone that you could show someone as i know lots of people had that as Mohican was scanning all the codes.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Tue May 05, 2015 5:51 am

psj3809 wrote:Well sadly only had the one day this year there but really enjoyed it. Shame there wasnt any pinball though but tons of arcade machines. Had a go on a fair few computers, bit of deathmatch Doom as well. Nice to see a few Speccys there with a divide, its funny as me and jdanddiet were waiting to get on the Speccy to play Match Day, saw a bloke playing Quazatron and thought 'this will take a while, i'll come back', didnt realise it was probably Bluce Ree !
SAKE!

It was me because straight after I noticed you guys playing Match Day. Should have guessed that was you.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue May 05, 2015 6:26 am

Bluce_Ree wrote:SAKE!

It was me because straight after I noticed you guys playing Match Day. Should have guessed that was you.
Ha ha gotta laugh ! Impressive you beat Quazatron though !

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue May 05, 2015 8:49 am

Absolutely incredible weekend, difficult to gather my thoughts into a neat summary, but I do enjoy the Blackpool event so so much more than the Manchester one.

Gaming highlights this year

1. TxK with a spinner & VR headset completely blew me away like I knew it would.
2. Towerfall, I'd not even heard of this game but spent the vast majority of time on it, utterly wonderful game that is up there with Warlords and Micro Machines as the most fun multiplayer games of all time.
3. Dragon's Lair on ZX81, every bit as "playable" as the arcade original!! :lol: An unholy achievement!
4. Shovel Knight - Definitely going to download this at some point
5. ..and of course the arcades, computers & consoles that I played loads of my old favourites on.

I didn't see any of the talks this year, but the Atari world 1-1 documentary was fantastic, even if it did eat into valuable Saturday night drinking time!! :lol:

In terms of people, it was great to meet so many new & old faces, you all know who you are & finally be able to say "hi" to psj in person!
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Tue May 05, 2015 12:36 pm

Had Sunday / monday at the show , spent most of the time in the " arcade " , loved it , that alone is worth the admission fee ! Spent a few quid in the traders hall on some bits n bobs , but like mentioned above , it seemed to have fewer vendors this time round .

overall 2 great days playing Paperboy , hypersports , mr do ! , space harrier , star wars and more - totally loved it !

looking foward to the event city play expo in the Autumn .
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue May 05, 2015 12:48 pm

^One saturday night you'll have to come down to Arcade Club. They're the guys who own all the arcade machines at the retro shows. Its in Haslingden so not 'too far' from you. 6pm-10pm, pay £10, all games are free play its superb !