play blackpool, 2-5 may 2015

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ArchaicKoala

Re: play blackpool, 2-5 may 2015

Post by ArchaicKoala » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:07 am

Well i'll definitely be there on the Sunday now, I've managed to book in at the Premierinn Bispham for Sunday night so that's that sorted :) I may appear on the Monday as well but I'm undecided, I think it depends on whether everything goes to plan on the Sunday in terms of games played and purchases.

I'm hoping to get there for 10am (traffic and parking depending) so I look forward to seeing some of you there :)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:01 am

Damn you kids ;)

Only going for the one day this year, was hoping to go for 2. For 'some reason' my wife doesnt want to look after the kids all weekend when i'm out again playing games. So unfair ! ;)

Should be a great day, feel free to say hello (I'll be the bloke with a blue t shirt with the logo 'Pretty Green' on it). If we've had heated discussions in the past on the forum about election stuff, Atari stuff and other things then i'm not the person in the blue t shirt ;)

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:16 am

which day are you going dude?

i'll be the short, slightly podgy bloke with spikey hair

if it helps there is a pick on last years p.b thread towards the end, of me and subzero

likewise, if i have p---ed anyone off on here, i am out of the country, indefinitely :lol: and that pic mentioned above is definitely not me and I have no idea who either of the guys on the pic are

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:34 am

Saturday, give me a shout if you see me. Great to meet forum regulars. One of those things where in person its much easier to talk about stuff, 'get' each others views and not take stuff so seriously next time you call me a muppet or something on the forum ! I'll be like 'ahhh Flatapex, hes a good bloke, met him etc....' etc

In the old days of smaller shows you had badges etc but at these massive events its near impossible now. I hope the Attic Bug gang are there as i regularly hang about with them as theyre a great bunch

Obvious tip - Go get a chippy outside about 11.30 if you wait till lunchtime you'll be queuing for England ;)

Anyway should be good to meet up with everyone, Andy (Retro gaming daily show) should be around and quite a few others. Looking forward to meeting lots of people. Still gutted its just the one day but should be good. Dog walker booked, all sorted for saturday

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:46 am

psj3809 wrote:Saturday, give me a shout if you see me. Great to meet forum regulars. One of those things where in person its much easier to talk about stuff, 'get' each others views and not take stuff so seriously next time you call me a muppet or something on the forum ! I'll be like 'ahhh Flatapex, hes a good bloke, met him etc....' etc

In the old days of smaller shows you had badges etc but at these massive events its near impossible now. I hope the Attic Bug gang are there as i regularly hang about with them as theyre a great bunch

Obvious tip - Go get a chippy outside about 11.30 if you wait till lunchtime you'll be queuing for England ;)

Anyway should be good to meet up with everyone, Andy (Retro gaming daily show) should be around and quite a few others. Looking forward to meeting lots of people. Still gutted its just the one day but should be good. Dog walker booked, all sorted for saturday
its only my second time at p.b, been to blackpool loads though (well I am northern after all), I love meeting forum people and hopefully I am slightly less annoying in real life than on here (in real life I am a lot quieter)

I didnt know many people last time but have come out of my shell a bit since then, closer to the time I will find the pic of me and label which one I am and how to spot me.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:58 am

Its an amazing show, tons of arcade machines, tons of retro computers. People selling stuff from bead art to bar top arcade machines etc. Also i find it really good when you meet people from yesteryear, found it surreal meeting Peter Harrap last year (monty mole) when i play his games so much still to this day

Everyone comes away from the show with a great vibe, tons of friendly people. It'll be great

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:12 pm

psj3809 wrote:Its an amazing show, tons of arcade machines, tons of retro computers. People selling stuff from bead art to bar top arcade machines etc. Also i find it really good when you meet people from yesteryear, found it surreal meeting Peter Harrap last year (monty mole) when i play his games so much still to this day

Everyone comes away from the show with a great vibe, tons of friendly people. It'll be great
How about that time Undertaker met Clive Sinclair?

That was a weird one

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:16 pm

I was a bit starstruck last year when I saw Jessie (storage hunters) doing a talk, this year its Steve Lycett that will be my starstruck moment, I recently completed toca race driver 2 on psp and it was great, and a huge thief of time at the same time.

I bet there will be loads of cool people there this year

Slick2097

Post by Slick2097 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:02 am

Afternoon,

I'll be attending on the Saturday this year and i'm driving there this time. I normally get the train in but as Mrs Slick is coming with me I thought it best to drive.

So, is parking ok at the hotel? Easy to get to? What time am I best aiming to get there based on peoples past experiences of parking if I want a space in the hotel car park?

The vibes i'm getting from people i've asked so far is that its generally not too bad and there are side streets galore if the car park is full so fingers crossed.

See you at the weekend.

Ste.
--
Born from an egg on a mountain top.
RetroPassion - Why not :) ?

3DS FC: 4914 - 4863 - 2799

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:16 am

Not going to this one - I'm on holiday at the end of May so dropping a couple of hundred to go to Play is an expense I can ill afford. Shame, as I really like the Blackpool venue. I shall instead be decorating the front room, as out new sofas arrive on Friday.

My brother in law (Adrian) is going again though, but this time he's taking his son with him. If you see him, say hi.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:51 am

psj3809 wrote:Obvious tip - Go get a chippy outside about 11.30 if you wait till lunchtime you'll be queuing for England ;)
Well I certainly wouldn't want to do THAT! :wink:

Would have loved to have met Peter Harrap, definitely one of my all time heroes, would've been great to get my copy of Auf Wiedersehen Monty signed!

Really looking forward to this now, it's been a rough few days, but a couple of days at the seaside being surrounded by arcades, videogames & good folk is exactly what I need! :D
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:08 pm

Slick2097 wrote:Afternoon,

I'll be attending on the Saturday this year and i'm driving there this time. I normally get the train in but as Mrs Slick is coming with me I thought it best to drive.

So, is parking ok at the hotel? Easy to get to? What time am I best aiming to get there based on peoples past experiences of parking if I want a space in the hotel car park?

The vibes i'm getting from people i've asked so far is that its generally not too bad and there are side streets galore if the car park is full so fingers crossed.

See you at the weekend.

Ste.
decent sized car park (2 parts) but on street parking nearby isnt exactly plentiful due to someone going a bit mad with yellow paint on the roads.

i'll be there saturday and sunday, if you see a short podgy bloke with glasses and spikey hair (early-mid 30s) say hi

PIXeL_92

Post by PIXeL_92 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:02 pm

I shall be there Sunday seeing as it is a 5 minute drive for me :D

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:57 am

Slightly annoyed but there is now Saturday accommodation available at the Premier Inn (Bispham) Might give them a call later and see If I can add Saturday onto my booking as well as it will mean I'm not rushing around on Sunday.

In other related news my mate who was going with me has dropped out so I'm now on my tod, it'll still be a good weekend though :)

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:14 am

Well I have no idea what t-shirt I will be wearing on which day, or even which I'm taking yet :D
But this is a pretty recent photo of me, so feel free to either say hello (or completely ignore me!) if you recognise me :lol: