That Millenium Falcon Ad

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

flatapex

Re: That Millenium Falcon Ad

Post by flatapex » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:27 pm

My mate is a hardcore star wars collector, its probably a rerelease I will have to ask him.

These partwork things intrigue me, but always end up so expensive, I bought one as a kid from a car boot sale about sports. There were only about 20 sportspeople because they expected it to be at the newsagents till completion. It had useful info of rules for nearly every sport.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:33 pm

The ad says it's 1:1 scale!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'll NEVER fit that into our house.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:01 pm

the_hawk wrote:The ad says it's 1:1 scale!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Their next collections going to be a docking bay for it, you'll have to make sure you pick that up as well.
Splink!

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:29 pm

the_hawk wrote:The ad says it's 1:1 scale!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

There's 2 different ads.
One does say it's 1:1 scale.
The other says it's a 1:1 scale model of the original movie "prop"!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:27 am

Good old De Agostini !

As a star wars fan i started collecting those star wars vehicles but it was ridiculous how many they were, taking up a huge amount of space !

Crazy thing is as we were then moving house and they had been sat there forever after in boxes i sold them on ebay. Wife sold them all seperately and they were about £8 each on ebay. A few went for a fiver but most went for 10-15 quid, some went into bidding wars and went for 20-25 quid each !!!

I dont know why the americans who were buying them simply didnt get them from the De Agostini website direct as they were still available. Practically got my money back and more, tempting to buy these just to sell in a years time or something.

This does look great but a lot of money

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:25 pm

I picked up part 1 of the Dredd one today and I noticed there's one for building your own 3D printer.
Splink!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:37 pm

felgekarp wrote:I picked up part 1 of the Dredd one today and I noticed there's one for building your own 3D printer.
So you'll be able to just print your own Millenium Falcon model and save some money then? Ace!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:34 pm

Megamixer wrote:
felgekarp wrote:I picked up part 1 of the Dredd one today and I noticed there's one for building your own 3D printer.
So you'll be able to just print your own Millenium Falcon model and save some money then? Ace!
Well there's 90 issues of this so yeah you can save a bit of money, although a couple are more expensive as they've got circuit boards with them, when you've got your printer though you can build as many millenium falcons as you want though, in fact I might start 3D printing X-Wing parts with mine and release my own magazine.
Splink!

David

Post by David » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:44 pm

Has anyone ever actually completed one of these? I saw an advert for a ship one that was £8.99 for 156 weeks :?

I always imagined the shops would get fed up and stop stocking it when demand was low and you would be stuck with an unfinished boat

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:51 pm

David wrote:Has anyone ever actually completed one of these? I saw an advert for a ship one that was £8.99 for 156 weeks :?

I always imagined the shops would get fed up and stop stocking it when demand was low and you would be stuck with an unfinished boat
They stock the first few and then the rest have to be ordered by the store at the buyer's request to be collected. I've had a few like this and WHSmith used to have filing cabinets with folders for different customers. You'd go in when the next issue was due and collect it from your file in the cabinet (no idea if they still do it this way though!).

Easier to subscribe of course.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Kaptain_Von

Post by Kaptain_Von » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:29 am

Whenever I see one of those 'Build it yourself' partworks I am reminded of an incident in my local newsagents. An elderly gent picked up a copy of the build a model Bismarck in 120 issues one, looked at it and uttered the immortal words..."**** me, you could rebuild the original for less than that!".
Cue the music, fade to black...
----------------------------------------------------------
http://kaptainskonfessions.blogspot.com/

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:11 am

I used to collect the Star Trek Fact Files one that was out in the mid-80s, but stopped after a few months - both from lack of interest and lack of cash to keep going.
Where logic won't work, I will