That Millenium Falcon Ad

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

paranoid marvin

That Millenium Falcon Ad

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:46 pm

Looks really good. Was very tempted by it until I realised it's £8.99 per month over 100 issues - that's 900 quid! That's assuming the mag makes it to 100 issues, and also depends on my modeI-making skills - probably end up looking like a Wookie's breakfast!. I wonder how much it would cost to buy ready made up?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

DPrinny

Re: That Millenium Falcon Ad

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:57 pm

Was the same kinda thing with the Star trek ones, but was one ship on each one.

Babylon 5 fans get nothing
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:03 pm

Thought it looked ace myself too.Then noticed the 8.99 over 100 issues 900 squid.Plus if the mag is every month like you say that will take over 8 years to complete.Would be better off buying a mint in box original kenner falcon.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:48 pm

Would be better off buying a mint in box original kenner falcon.
Yep sounds like a far better idea. I might have been interested till I saw it would cost £900
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:53 pm

Might as well buy the lego one
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:04 pm

DPrinny wrote:Might as well buy the lego one
£900 wouldn't get you the discontinued UCS one. Get the £120 one I have, it's boss.

edit:

which reminds me ........

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:18 pm

koopa42 wrote:
DPrinny wrote:Might as well buy the lego one
£900 wouldn't get you the discontinued UCS one. Get the £120 one I have, it's boss.

edit:

which reminds me ........
Buy £900 worth of bricks,

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:22 am

paranoid marvin wrote:Looks really good. Was very tempted by it until I realised it's £8.99 per month over 100 issues - that's 900 quid! That's assuming the mag makes it to 100 issues, and also depends on my modeI-making skills - probably end up looking like a Wookie's breakfast!. I wonder how much it would cost to buy ready made up?
Ha, haven't seen the ad but it'll be a part-work magazine series by deAgostini. This is is the time of year they start putting out their new or resurrected products. Don't worry about the magazine not making it to issue 100. Only the first ten or so will make into the shops. Sometimes even less than that. After that the magazine and associated model part/collectible is made to order for subscribers or people who have placed a regular order at the local newsie. The mag tells you this early on. As long as you're buying they'll keep sending you the gubbins. It's madness really.
I've collected Marvel & DC figures through these. The wife built a craptastic doll's house through them (600 frickin quid by the end of it I reckon, she sold it completed for £420).

Madness.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:43 am

I was gonna subscribe too, exactly the same reasons as mentioned above for why I decided against the idea. That's a ridiculous amount of issues.

Eat your nans pants

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:15 am

A few years ago (ok probably 20) I started on the Wildlife fact files, I did get them all, they sent me the last ones for free.

Its to bad that they have since became water damaged

Think the where only a quid each

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:04 am

DPrinny wrote:Buy £900 worth of bricks,
What are you gonna do with three Lego bricks?

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:03 am

£900 :roll:

I've only ever had two of these sort of things. I bought most editions of Input when I was a kid and more recently I did get around 30 of the Star Wars Figurine magazines, which will no doubt end up on eBay one day!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

HisNHer_LP

Post by HisNHer_LP » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:54 am

I remember getting the how my body works books like this, made the inside of the body then outside and I think I got the last few issues free, I think they come with no mag, as they gave up doing that if I remember rightly

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:42 pm

Yeah, I was tempted by the Falcon too as it looks like a good quality model when fully assembled but the total price is staggering.
HisNHer_LP wrote:I remember getting the how my body works books like this, made the inside of the body then outside and I think I got the last few issues free, I think they come with no mag, as they gave up doing that if I remember rightly
I had those too but stopped buying them with around 3-5 books left to go. I think the very last books were really stretching the available topics (stuff like 'Accidents and Emergencies 3') and the final book was just an appendix/index so I stopped. No idea what happened to the model (which was cool as a kid) but the books I struggled to sell on ebay for about a tenner with local pick-up.

Same deal with the '007 Spy Files' mags I collected. Had every issue in the box folder and a complete set of the trading cards that came in random booster packs with the magazine but I think the whole lot sold on ebay for about 99p! Also had the Horrible Histories ones (2 folders full of mags, trading cards, history timeline binder etc.) and the whole lot was worthless when it came to getting rid.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:51 pm

I collected well into the Star Wars vehicles set ..... right up until they were getting to 'boba fett's foot soak massager' and 'luke's best mates dusty bin'