Chedwyn Michael Evans

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Nemesis

Re: Chedwyn Michael Evans

Post by Nemesis » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:34 pm

Frankly they should just let him get on with his life. It seems that a punishment served isn't enough for some and those people won't be happy until he's stacking shelves at Aldi.

The thing is, only the accuser and accused actually know what happened that night despite the verdict of the courts so I don't see why he needs to be apologetic if he feels he didn't do anything wrong.

Many people require rehabilitation so it's understandable that they'd return to career they know. I wonder how many of those up in arms refused to watch Leslie Grantham (Dirty Den) a convicted murderer on Eastenders during its heyday. Not many I bet.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:06 pm

Seems that Sheffield United's offer to let him train has been retracted:
BBC Sport website wrote:The club said reaction to their initial decision "has been at an intensity that could not have been anticipated".
Yeah... right... you couldn't have expected this...

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:35 pm

Oh well. Soon he'll be forgotten, a nobody in a crowded club, ready to strike again now he's out of the public eye.

Good job, public.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

junkmale

Post by junkmale » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:59 pm

The irony i find in this whole situation is laughable.
Most of the outrage seems to be that he is unrepentant? He maintains that he is innocent. Under the law he is entitled to do that despite the fact that he has been tried and convicted.

However, in my part of the United Kingdom is is quite acceptable that murderers, bombers, and unrepentant Terrorist Godfathers are not only released from jail but can climb to the highest positions in Government.
Compared to some of the pond life here Evans is an angel.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:13 am

Again if this was your daughter would you have the same view ? Course not

I agree that hes 'done his time' but would you ever say 'I'll have to have a chat and have a cup of tea with that new neighbour, the one whos just been released from prison for abusing kids, hes done his time so should be allowed to get on with life...'

Some of the comments have been, yes he should be allowed to get on with his life but basically going back to Sheff Utd, the team and fans he disgraced is taking the biscuit a bit. Again if this was the chairmans daughter would he allow this player back ? Course not. Usual case of 'well it hasnt happened to a member of my family so i say he should be allowed to do what he wants...'

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:14 am

psj3809 wrote:Again if this was your daughter would you have the same view ? Course not
Again, (maybe you'll answer this time!) what if it was your brother/son/friend?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:57 am

I'm not sure how he disgraced fans. His ball kicking abilities are the same regardless of his personal life.

He may not be someone you necessarily want to be friends with, but I can say that about most footballers.

If this were wrestling he'd just come back as a heel. Some sportsmen are just bad guys, but it needn't impact on their performance.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:00 am

In my view a rapist is still a rapist regardless of time served.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:02 am

In my view a footballer is still a footballer regardless of time served.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:07 am

but football games don't as a rule involve the sexual violation of unconsenting women.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:27 pm

Exactly my point. The two are entirely unrelated. There's no end of revered rapey wife beating footballers. It has never impacted their ability to play football.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:31 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Exactly my point. The two are entirely unrelated.
Erm... well, unless you are Ched Evans obviously.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:38 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:It has never impacted their ability to play football.
I'm not sure that we're questioning Evan's footballing ability, if anything his footballing ability would have been likely to spur him on to greater heights of fame and fortune, thus thrusting this convicted rapist further into the hearts and minds of the nations impressionable youngsters. Personally, i'm not OK with that.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:07 pm

So you're not ok with criminal reform?

An example to the youth with dodgy backgrounds that where they came from is less important than where they're going? That even the most horrible crimes, while maybe not forgiven or forgotten, need not be a deterrent to a successful, unrelated, career?

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:33 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:So you're not ok with criminal reform?
he's not even sorry, let alone reformed. Putting a convicted sex criminal in a position of potential influence is a very bad thing in my opinion. I think it sends out an extremely unsavoury message to young males the country over, and, yeah, i'm aware that it has happened in other fields and that's just as bad.