Chedwyn Michael Evans

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

stvd

Chedwyn Michael Evans

Post by stvd » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:09 am

Or "Ched" to his friends.

Do you think he should be allowed to get on with his life?
Personally, I think he should.
Discuss?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-17781842

koopa42

Re: Chedwyn Michael Evans

Post by koopa42 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:10 am

I just posted that today:

http://www.rp2mp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2411

Read at your own peril if you don't like swearing

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:26 am

In theory, he's had his punishment and learned his lesson, so should be able to carry on as normal, with the caveat everyone knows he has a sketchy past.

Since kicking a ball about isn't really related to his crime, I see no reason he couldn't restart that career. It's not like he's a nurse or something.

That said, I've worked with some of these criminals in the past and it does cloud your judgement of them (rightly?).
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:27 am

Where do you draw the line? Where is the grey area? is there a grey area? It's a tough one but if you are going to agree with his guilt/sentence you have to agree with any 'alleged' rehabilitation? If he was a shop assistant there wouldn't be a story if he went back to work would there, other than the usual 'local rapist returns to work lets try and get him fired' if a local rag happened to pick up on it. here's the range:

All criminals should be killed tortured forever killed some more and tortured to death

A really really big grey area (but not for everyone)

All criminals once served their time should be allowed everything ever

It's just a case of where you stand in or around that range

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:34 am

It's a tricky one really. He was found guilty and served his time for a horrible offence and wants a second chance. Some people say footballers are role models but does that mean he shouldn't get a second chance? Only he knows whether he was innocent or not and you can understand him standing his ground if he genuinely was innocent. However, the way his family and mates have hounded the girl involved leaves a bad taste. I thought that video he made with his girlfriend actually made things worse and he came across as someone full of entitlement. I have to say I wouldn't want him at my club, the thought of cheering on a convicted rapist wouldn't sit comfortably with me. Having said that, there is bound to be a club desperate enough for a goalscorer on the cheap for him to get a deal somewhere and so be it. I just hope it won't be my team.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:38 am

Can he not be a role model for chav scum, proving reform is possible?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:42 am

i think the main issue for most people is that he's still never said sorry, or admitted any kind of guilt for it. even if he was found guilty, and served his time. i think people might look at it differently, if he'd been more contrite, and apologised, and got on with it, and shown some level of remorse.

of course, the flip side of that, is if it's not just arrogance of an overpaid footballer thinking he should have got away with it, and he actually *was* innocent, then he should never have served the time in the first place. which if that transpired, would be a totally different story all round.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:45 am

Nope, I strongly disagree with everyone and their uncle saying he should apologise. If he didn't do it and believes he didn't? Why should he? There would be no point at all.

edit:

I didn't watch the video with his girlfriend, was it awkwardly awkward of awkwardness then?

scunny

Post by scunny » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:23 am

That's the thing isn't it, if he never did it, yet served time for a crime he didn't commit then I don't blame him. If he did do it then he is a scumbag on so many levels.

However, even if he is a scumbag, he has done what the justice system told him to do so he should be allowed to get on with it. People only care because he will be earning a lot of money (I don't buy this role model crap) if he was a dustman and went back to being a dustman nobody would care.
XBL: RainMan 999
(Add me for some overwatch!)

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:44 am

Surely playing and living in Sheffield is punishment enough?
Going Solo...................

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:34 pm

^ Dunno about that - being from Rhyl might be though! :wink:

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:11 pm

Why I asked was I was watching the woman below on tv this morning.
Television presenter Charlie Webster has resigned as a patron of Sheffield United after the club allowed convicted rapist Ched Evans to train.
She said he was a convicted rapist, found guilty by the courts which we should trust (the justice system).

Well, if that's the case then the justice system says he has served his time.

She was worried about her community?!?

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:22 am

stvd wrote:Or "Ched" to his friends.

Discuss?

I dont at all. I think its an insult.

At the end of the day IF your daughter say she was raped would you think 'fair enough if that footballer goes back to his old club after serving a light sentence.....'

Now none of us know the full evidence so we can only go on what the verdict is. But yeah hes 'served his time' but come on lets be real. Do you believe in that rubbish ?

If a murder or paedo had 'served their time' you would be fine with them living down the road ?

Hes a convicted rapist, i dont think ANY rapists should be allowed to just live 'normally' after theyve 'served their time'. People will be upset and rightfully so. But we all know that many sentences seem light, you think that a 'paedo down the road' just gets on with his life ? Or a murder is fine and after serving years and years comes out and is allowed to just carry on a normal life ?

Again if a footballer raped your sister or a member of your family i doubt you will be saying the same thing

scunny

Post by scunny » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:43 am

I Agree... BUT... you choose to live in this society with these laws and rules. You have to accept that he has done his time. What would you like to see? them executed? never to work again? live on an island somewhere?

It's tough but this is the system we have.

psj3809 wrote:
stvd wrote:Or "Ched" to his friends.

Discuss?

I dont at all. I think its an insult.

At the end of the day IF your daughter say she was raped would you think 'fair enough if that footballer goes back to his old club after serving a light sentence.....'

Now none of us know the full evidence so we can only go on what the verdict is. But yeah hes 'served his time' but come on lets be real. Do you believe in that rubbish ?

If a murder or paedo had 'served their time' you would be fine with them living down the road ?

Hes a convicted rapist, i dont think ANY rapists should be allowed to just live 'normally' after theyve 'served their time'. People will be upset and rightfully so. But we all know that many sentences seem light, you think that a 'paedo down the road' just gets on with his life ? Or a murder is fine and after serving years and years comes out and is allowed to just carry on a normal life ?

Again if a footballer raped your sister or a member of your family i doubt you will be saying the same thing
XBL: RainMan 999
(Add me for some overwatch!)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:45 am

I do get your point but how many people would treat a paedo or murderer 'as they should' after theyve served their time

Always find it disappointing hearing some peoples views when you KNOW if it was their sister/cousin etc they would have a totally different view. Of course when its not its 'yeah hes served his time...'

Going back to his old team i dont think is good. But it happens all the time, that Plymouth goalie killed someone drink driving, as hes a decent player hes now gone back to Plymouth

If Ched Evans was a terrible player then sheff utd would have got rid of him instantly and said they dont condone what happened, they have a family image etc etc. Of course hes a good player so they'll give players like that infinite chances

Heres that Plymouth goalie

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... crash.html

If he killed two of your young kids or cousins would you think 'hes served his time, fair enough...'