christmas traditions

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

oldtimer

Re: christmas traditions

Post by oldtimer » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:32 pm

A tradition we always have is to actually have xmas dinner on xmas eve,
It all stemmed from most of the family being scattered on xmas day ,so to have a big get together on xmas eve was the only way.
But as time goes by,people scatter even more,but we have carried on the tradition, and it also means the misses does not have slave over the stove on xmas day ,we just have cold cuts ,and veg out in front of the tv all day :D
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:53 pm

There are so many Christmas films I really think are pretty awful. Scrooged just seems too forced all the way through, although the appearance of the cabbie at the end ('Which floor?') is a brilliant touch. The Polar Express is just downright creepy to look at, as is Robert Zemeckis' CGI A Christmas Carol from 2009. Elf is just the outright horror of Will Ferrell again. Home Alone can't get away from the fact it's about a revolting child with atrocious parents. Jingle All the Way tries far too hard. The Santa Clause is about the best of that style of movie, despite being responsible for two dreadful sequels. Far better than Santa Claus the Movie, anyway. National Lampoon I can stand up until about the last half hour, with the truly hideous elderly relatives - it just seems to go on far too long.

I had to find a DVD of It's a Wonderful Life as I'd never actually seen it shown on TV. It's OK, but just the style of performances and those awful accents certainly date it. And it's long since Christmas used to be the time to see amazing premieres like each of the original Star Wars films. At least we're not still exposed to crap like The Sound of Music or forced to sit through the whole of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (fine as it is, but far, far too long for kids).

The only Christmas Carol adaptations I really like are the Albert Finney musical Scrooge from 1970 ('Thank you very, very, very much...' 'Spirit, what did I do? What did I do? Whetever it was, it has made them truly happy...') and The Muppets Christmas Carol, if not for Michael Caine's brilliant deadpan acting, then for the appearance of Bean Bunny as the litle boy with the sledge.

Gemlins is an absolute classic, nicely borrowing some scenic cues from It's a Wonderful Life, and featuring a great turn from veteran D*ck Miller (please ignore sequel), and I have a soft spot for the 1994 Miracle on 34th Street with old D*ckie Attenborough.

I suppose you can count Batman Returns and Die Hard as decent Christmas-timed movies, even if that's not the main theme. Likewise with Trading Places. And for once I find the melancholy performance from Robin Williams in Toys quite watchable. It just keeps reminding me of a (possibly made-for-TV) movie I saw as a child in the late 70s, with people trapped in a miniature toyland. All I remember is a melancholy ending as they're separated on toy trains heading off in different directions in a huge white playroom. It's certainly not any of the adaptations of Babes in Toyland that I've come across, but I have no idea of the title.

Rare Exports also has to be seen for a brilliantly Grimm take on a dark and ancient Santa.

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:33 pm

Bought my Baileys and Port today, the consumption of which will make me feel a bit sick later on in the evening, which is traditional.
Consistently missing "It's a Wonderful Life", even though I circle it in the Radio Times, and put reminders on the Sky Box.
Wanting to watch the Queen's speech for some reason, then flicking over about 3 minutes in because it's as boring as b0llocks. Watch the Channel4 one instead, but drift off and do something else as that either tries too hard to be "edgy and controversial" or is just preachy boring t0ss.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:23 am

Does nobody else watch the version of A Christmas Carol starring Picard and Withnail?

Our tradition is watching that, with a big pile of cheese and crackers (from Cheese Please) and Harvey's Christmas Ale (from the brewery shop) after a drunken shopping trip to Lewes to procure the aforementioned repast.

Elaine

Post by Elaine » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:27 am

djcarlos wrote:Does nobody else watch the version of A Christmas Carol starring Picard and Withnail?

Our tradition is watching that, with a big pile of cheese and crackers (from Cheese Please) and Harvey's Christmas Ale (from the brewery shop) after a drunken shopping trip to Lewes to procure the aforementioned repast.
I do :)
Without the cheese and crackers, but it does seem like a good idea

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:50 am

Replaced my santa hat this year! My old one was boss but I'd had it for at least 10 years! I f##kin love Christmas! Been fighting very hard not to get some choons on :oops: MUST. MAKE IT. TILL DECEMBER!!!

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:03 am

I bought a new christmas stocking

Going Solo...................

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:08 am

It's waiting, my Ice Ice Baby snow man! This will be it's 4th year of awesome

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:48 pm

Every Christmas Eve I have to watch The Wrong Trousers. I got it on video for a present when I was young and it's just forever tied to Christmas in my mind.

The only time of year I buy a telly book is Christmas, I just love pouring through it planning what to record over the holiday.

The Night Before Chritmas. I've still got my copy from when I was a kid and when I read that very same copy to my son on his first Christmas Eve back in 2012 I was a tearful wreck.

No alcohol. I barely drink anyways (this year I've drunk about 5 beers) but the thought of boozing at Christmas never enters my head.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:08 pm

djcarlos wrote:Does nobody else watch the version of A Christmas Carol starring Picard and Withnail?

Just thinking about this version of the film with her in doors as we found our copy on dvd. Probably my favourite version of all the versions of the film.
Last edited by silvergunner on Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:07 pm

There are 2 days in the year I will not work (even though work is open). They are Christmas day and Easter Sunday.

Christmas Eve, after work at about 6pm we have a bit of family time and watch a Christmas film. At about 9pm we head off to our Church for the Christmas eve liturgy (finishing around 12.30am) then head home for food.
Christmas day it's the usual manic morning with kids and presents all over the place and me prepping all the food - and getting that turkey (or whatever we are having) in the oven. This is followed by another trip to the Church for Christmas day Liturgy. 1030 - 12.00..... the rest of the day is chaos with in-laws, parents etc arriving for food, more presents, movies, games and general happiness. Christmas day evening is a more relaxed time though - chilled down with some nice ale, malt whiskey, wine, port - whatever! and a decent film for the family.

For us, Christmas is all about the fun but with the religious side still very much the central part. People look at me as if I'm weird sometimes when I tell them what I have planned. I just tell them we are who we are and hope they have a really good Christmas.

I Love Christmas. It's a happy time. :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:13 pm

I've seen it, but casting someone raised on Shakespeare in a Dickens role doesn't work. Neither did casting him as Ahab in Moby D*ck. Got to be Albert Finney, Michael Caine, or nowt. Actually, the Doctor Who one with the flying shark towing the sleigh was good...

(Seriously, does D-I-C-K really have to be censored, when three posts up someone is referring to 'buggery' in their sig and no-one gives a toss?)

PAC

Post by PAC » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:42 pm

That's real nice to hear Marcopoloman. God bless you and all here.

I have a major love for Gremlins.. my teenage heart exploded when Phoebe Cates told her "Christmas Story".. and "It's Christmas, Charlie Brown", short and very sweet, the whole family knows the season is on, when we watch that together !

Spector

Post by Spector » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:50 pm

For me, the Alistair Sim version of Scrooge (1951) is by a mile the best version of the story, and that's down to two things: firstly, it was shot when Victorian values were still clinging on in England making the performances look more authentic than modern day actors putting on odd accents. Secondly, Alistair Sim IS Scrooge in it! The guy is just brilliant. That moment when Christmas Past reveals he never heard his sister's dying wish to look after her child and he starts shouting over and over "forgive me... forgive me!!!" is just great acting, but it's full of special moments. I try and watch that every year, along with The Snowman if possible, and I find the Godley & Creme directed music video of the nativity for Frankie Goes To Hollywood's The Power Of Love strangely affecting. Fine song, fine video.

I like the old songs too: 1984 was some year for Christmas tunes wasn't it?
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

PAC

Post by PAC » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:58 pm

With you all the way on that,, I can quote ''Scrooge' start to stop and the Frankie song and promo is pop music genius. You must listen to the extended version which includes strings, The Lord's Prayer, etcetera..