christmas traditions

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Ads3

Re: christmas traditions

Post by Ads3 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:15 pm

Not sure they are interesting but for as long as I can remember we have numbered and given a clue for each present.

Also did the Radiotimes one, still get it and circle but never manage to watch any of it!

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:19 pm

I'm now acquiring Digby the world biggest dog :shock: I'll put it on for the kids and see what reaction I get LOL

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:46 pm

I liked the French and German Christmas market when I lived in Southampton.

When I got my own flat I wanted to decorate it. Though I ended up with the last (fake) tree I could find at a discount, all gold baubles and a (fairly good) set of multicoloured low-voltage twinkiling lights (and not LEDs, which are horrible colours for Christmas). When I got a house I got a bigger tree and (seemingly for one year only) B&Q had a huge range of baubles over a spectrum of colours, rather than the peculiar three-colour combinations they seem to have concentrated ever since, so I just bought loads and loads of coloured baubles, some extra lights, and decided there'd be no tinsel on the tree. I still haven't found a set of lights as good as those original ones, though there aren't enough of them for the bigger tree.

Now I've bought my own place and have a large box window on the front, I've been buying B&Q's rope-light silhouettes to put in it. My first one was an animated train; last year I got a tree with baubles, and this year I've got an animated waving Santa (B&Q's lot this year are a bit disappointing; there's a nice sleigh one but it's too big for my place). I'm not going to put them all over the outside of the house, but they do remind me of my Dad driving us down the promenade at Skegness after dark with all the animated illuminated figures.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:26 pm

Xmas gives me the head-staggers.

I have amazing memories of Christmases as a kid, always at my Grandparents, huge family, lots of happiness.

My Granda died one Xmas eve & a few years later my Gran died on Xmas day, so I just don't feel that festive when it comes round.

What I do always feel though is the pressure of giving the kids the amazing Christmas memories I had, but tbh we spoil them that much all year round & I'm usually pretty skint when it comes around, so it's not the big TA-DAH! of pressies on the day I used to get.

Also it makes me feel guilty thinking of my parents at their house on their own at Xmas as neither me nor my sister ever seem to manage to be able to make it home, mainly because it would be a logistical nightmare bringing the wife & kids over.

I know I'm being a complete bah humbug. I Usually end up enjoying the day & really really try to make the most of it for the kids...but at the end of the day the build up to Xmas is one big guilt trip for me and I'm genuinely glad when it's over.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Kickboxingshrimp

Post by Kickboxingshrimp » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:42 am

Let's see...

Deffo getting a radio times and tv times and marking what I'm going to tape...even going as far as cutting out the title programme descriptions to stick on the VHS box.

Bottle of baileys when putting up Xmas tree (I'm usually pestering the other half to let me put it up in November)

Xmas tunes on at work in December, I'm a dj as well, so I have hundreds of Xmas songs so not the same ones over and over and over and over.....and over all the time

Tinsel in car..obvs

As for tv viewing....every year...

Scrooged, muppets Xmas carrol, Bernard and the genie, bottom Xmas special, home alone, die hard and nightmare before Xmas

It's my birthday on Xmas day and my little uns the week before, so I want to make a big deal for her......and me obvs :)

Infact,,,,I feel the need to deck my balls as we speak
Stay Tuna`d

www.kickboxingshrimp.com

Xbox Live Account : KBS Dot Com

scunny

Post by scunny » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:29 am

When I was a kid, we would all gather on the stairs Christmas Morning in order of age and slowly walk down together, me at the front as the youngest and then my three older siblings in order then mum then dad. Nice memories of hurriedly trying to get everyone out of bed and in their dressing gowns before we could start moving down to see if he had been. It was a nice tradition.
XBL: RainMan 999
(Add me for some overwatch!)

Kickboxingshrimp

Post by Kickboxingshrimp » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:44 am

scunny wrote:When I was a kid, we would all gather on the stairs Christmas Morning in order of age and slowly walk down together, me at the front as the youngest and then my three older siblings in order then mum then dad. Nice memories of hurriedly trying to get everyone out of bed and in their dressing gowns before we could start moving down to see if he had been. It was a nice tradition.
Oh Eddie...I heard sleigh bells....has "he" been :)
Stay Tuna`d

www.kickboxingshrimp.com

Xbox Live Account : KBS Dot Com

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:35 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:I avoid it until the last possible minute. I loathe the build up to it, there's so much pressure.

Once the gifts are open and food is on the table its quite pleasant. Sometimes.
That's the festive spirit! lol

I don't have many traditions except for the one;

I watch Jingle All the Way, every year, without fail.

My favourite Christmas film, that never gets old.

Elaine

Post by Elaine » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:46 am

samhain81 wrote:
I watch Jingle All the Way, every year, without fail.

My favourite Christmas film, that never gets old.
I had to google it, in Italy it's called "A promise is a promise"... wtf :lol:

scunny

Post by scunny » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:08 am

ELF is one of my new Christmas favourites, but am still a sucker for It's a wonderful life.
XBL: RainMan 999
(Add me for some overwatch!)

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:11 am

Scrooged. All day long. Best Xmas film by a country mile, followed by It's a wonderful life :oops:

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:17 am

Jim Henson's The Christmas Toy.

Toy Story before Toy Story, I have watched it every year since i was 8
Going Solo...................

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:47 am

Scrooged is fantastic always have to watch that along with Christmas Vacation and Home Alone. One newer film I always also watch now is Bad Santa, fantastic black comedy.

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:04 am

I watched Elf and Bad Santa for the first time last Christmas. probably watch both again this year :oops: :lol:

Spector

Post by Spector » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:13 am

flatapex wrote:
christmas tree goes up first weekend in december, to the soundtrack of phil spector's christmas album, usually with alcohol flowing as its done
A man of true taste and culture!
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)