christmas traditions

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

flatapex

christmas traditions

Post by flatapex » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:15 am

do you have any interesting or just unique to you christmas traditions?

my own personal one is i always have christmas shopping done in november

a few more that are less interesting to

come on chaps what do you all do?

koopa42

Re: christmas traditions

Post by koopa42 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:53 am

I love Christmas, always have, always will. It's not the prezzies (well not anymore LOL), it's certainly not the pagen Jebus wrong day or whatever it is. It's just that xmas feeling, getting dark early, everyone seems to be bustling about, lights up in the street etc, it sort of turns everything cozy IMO, and since having kids? it's awesomeness is multiplied by Pi.

Traditions:

Not so much anymore because of bloody freeview and cable etc but I used to love the tradition of getting the xmas Radio Times/TV Times then sitting circling what you wanted to watch, having to decide "ooooooh do I watch Indiana Jones but miss the start of Star Wars etc"

Sweets/munchies is another tradition, when I had my first job (in a bakery whilst at college LOL) I'd put X amount of money aside to get xmas munchies and mum used to match it. We'd go shopping and build up a nice collection of everything from buttons to peanuts :oops: then a week before xmas we'd set it all up in the front room. This is a tradition I've carried over to my kids, I take them shopping, give them an amount and they can choose whatever the want and it gets put away until xmas 8)

Christmas eve drinks. I always try and go out with my best mates early on xmas even then meet up with family members later on. We go to town under the pretence of buying last minute prezzies which lasts until the first person says 'lets go to the pub' which is usually about 20 minutes :oops: this is harder to arrange these days what with most people having kids but we sometimes still manage it. We always end up at the Old Windmill in Cov because it's a medieval pub which has open fires and lots of awesome alcoves etc.

Damn this thread! I love xmas and now I have an xmas head on!

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:40 am

my own personal one is i always have christmas shopping done in november
Same mate :)
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:03 am

I avoid it until the last possible minute. I loathe the build up to it, there's so much pressure.

Once the gifts are open and food is on the table its quite pleasant. Sometimes.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:12 pm

koopa42 wrote: Not so much anymore because of bloody freeview and cable etc but I used to love the tradition of getting the xmas Radio Times/TV Times then sitting circling what you wanted to watch, having to decide "ooooooh do I watch Indiana Jones but miss the start of Star Wars etc"
That's the bit I miss mostly - our dad would bring me and my brother a blank VHS tape each, and we'd go through the Radio Times saying who was going to tape what. Still got several years worth of those tapes now - the 1998 one's best, probably (Rex the Runt!).

Nowadays... I don't like to think about it until the last week of November, and I LOVE the build-up to it (shopping, meeting people, songs etc) but don't really like the actual day. Family's getting smaller and smaller every year, haven't even got my sister with us this year, so it's going to be a bit of a drag.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:39 pm

christmas radio times!!!!! love finding out when its out up here (those of us up north get it a couple of days later than daaan saaaaf)

here in manc we have the christmas markets, they are nowhere near as good as the real thing in germany (been over a few times and going back next year), typically we go up a couple of times but it gets very crowded and i cant stand the crowds.

christmas tree goes up first weekend in december, to the soundtrack of phil spector's christmas album, usually with alcohol flowing as its done

christmas eve is an early morning trip to the market followed by visit to the cemetery.

father ted christmas special before we get dragged for christmas eve night with the inlaws

ALK

Post by ALK » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:52 pm

Xmas Blu Rays/DVDs- yeah it might seem silly buying these and only watching them one season of the year, but one thing that annoys me is when I miss stuff on TV or like last year when Sky stole Elf away from Channel 4, which I always watched when C4 showed it. And then there's the stuff that isnt on at Xmas (At least not on the channels I have) like Mickey's Christmas Carol which surprised me Disney gave it the Blu Ray Triple Play treatment last year (In America anyway). And since I'm gonna be working nights over December, they'll be handy for my oh so few daylight hours.

Radiotimes- Ain't nothing like flicking through and seeing what on at Xmas. Digital guides don't have the same charm as circling the stuff I'd wanna watch.

Probably more, I'll think of em laters...
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:52 am

well apparantly as Im on Job seeker I should be conacting employers on xmas eve boxing day and new year cause we all know theres jobs going just after xmas
This guy are sick

Elaine

Post by Elaine » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:01 am

ALK wrote:
Radiotimes- Ain't nothing like flicking through and seeing what on at Xmas. Digital guides don't have the same charm as circling the stuff I'd wanna watch.

I do that too! I don't even buy it when it's not Christmas, at least not often, but it's become a tradition :D

And watching Singin' in the rain...

And it might be obvious but I need to have a Christmas tree, even if it's small.
In Italy it's common to put it up on the 8th of December (although I just found out a few years ago, I've always done it later), is there anything similar here?

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:23 am

mark me down as another radio times person. as above, kind of stopped when there were so many channels introduced etc. i did try to rekindle it a couple of years ago, but it wasn't the same :(

it's not really a christmas tradition as such, but my nan died in a december, so i always take a day off work and drive to my old home town and wander around where we (and she) used to live until i was about 10.

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:02 pm

Toys r Us Christmas Catalogue. When that hits the streets, its coming!
Going Solo...................

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:18 pm

Getting the christmas Radio Times and TV Times was always amazing back when I was a kid because it was the only time of the year when there was LOADS of cool stuff on telly! :D
Has anyone taken a look at the Beeb's Radio Times Genome site? I picked a few days from my childhood and couldn't believe how bad it was compared to the stuff we have access to nowadays. Especially the sundays. No wonder we drooled over the crimbo Radio Times!

I always associate Digby, The Biggest Dog In The World with christmas because of those days.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:29 pm

The Beans wrote: I always associate Digby, The Biggest Dog In The World with christmas because of those days.
Holy crap! This is mega true! Worst film ever and usually prime time on xmas day! Didn't it have that carry on bloke in it too?

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:40 pm

koopa42 wrote:
The Beans wrote: I always associate Digby, The Biggest Dog In The World with christmas because of those days.
Holy crap! This is mega true! Worst film ever and usually prime time on xmas day! Didn't it have that carry on bloke in it too?
Yeah, Jim Dale.
Sad to say, crap as the film is, it's one if those films for me. If it's on, I always end up watching it. Usually "those" films are quality like The Terminator or Zulu or John Carpenter's The Thing etc.

And sometimes they're not quality at all. :(
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:50 pm

Since having kids, we always setting down about 5:00pm to watch 'The Polar Express', then after the kids have gone to bed, I always watch 'Christmas Vacation'.