eBay scummers

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

koopa42

eBay scummers

Post by koopa42 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:34 pm

Some idiot won 2 items I was selling and even though I clearly stated in the auction description (underlined too) and listing that I only post to the UK? He's in Germany. How do I just cancel his winning bid? Can I do that? I'd like to know before the idiot pays for it and causes more problems.

Cheers

ianpmarks

Re: eBay scummers

Post by ianpmarks » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:05 pm

I hate that. Idiots.
I don't think they can pay as you need to put international postage cost into an invoice.
However when someone in Portugal bought a printer cartridge I said I didn't post abroad, even though i emailed him and told him i wouldnt send abroad, or let him pay, he still left me poor feedback. Didn't think you could leave feedback if you hadn't paid. Currently in discussion with eBay about this, but they are pretty unhelpful.
I feel your pain.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:29 pm

Yeah I had a quick google to fine that indeed there is nothing you can do. Second chance offer and take the neg feedback etc. I couldn't give a rats TBH I hate eGay with a passion these days, it's just I had planned to use the money for an ongoing JAMMA cab project I have underway, Now I'll have to faff about and use my own cash and have leave the ebay stuff floating about until it gets sorted. Tossers messing with my carefully laid plans.

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:00 pm

Isn't this part of the new eBay international shipping thing? You ship it to a UK eBay warehouse and they then take care of it en-route to Germany.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:58 pm

Can you not when setting an auction up or when revising one select which areas cannot bid on your item anymore?

There was an exclusions list for countries you wanted to block (Europe, South America etc...) I used that all the time.

Used to get countless "can I bid" emails but at least you can just ignore the stupid idiots.

ReplayRetro

Post by ReplayRetro » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:57 am

r0jaws wrote:Isn't this part of the new eBay international shipping thing? You ship it to a UK eBay warehouse and they then take care of it en-route to Germany.
This

Its a big thing eBay is rolling out to make it easier for people to ship internationally, they handle the charges etc (including customs fees) and you just send it to them for onward shipping, i dont know if its actually in the UK yet, i've only had it on a few items from the US i think
Visit www.youtube.com/replayretro . why? well erm, cos it would be awfully friendly of you to take a look i guess, you don't have to though, nobody will make you *sob sob*

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:12 am

silvergunner wrote:Can you not when setting an auction up or when revising one select which areas cannot bid on your item anymore?

There was an exclusions list for countries you wanted to block (Europe, South America etc...) I used that all the time.

Used to get countless "can I bid" emails but at least you can just ignore the stupid idiots.
Yeah i normally stick to UK now. Italy i have huge problems with, their mail system seems to take about 7 weeks for stuff to arrive ! Same for Russia. Too much hassle, just stick to UK now

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:11 am

psj3809 wrote:
silvergunner wrote:Can you not when setting an auction up or when revising one select which areas cannot bid on your item anymore?

Yeah i normally stick to UK now. Italy i have huge problems with, their mail system seems to take about 7 weeks for stuff to arrive ! Same for Russia. Too much hassle, just stick to UK now
Italy is and will always be a humongous mess when it comes to shipping. Russian customs are the worst in the world, narrowly beating Brazil (where you need more paperwork than the treaty of Versaille just to send a parcel) and Israel (where customs treat everything as if it's a bomb). I have Russian customers who when they buy things, find it easier and cheaper to fly over here and take their purchases back as hand luggage just to avoid having to deal with Russian customs.

Ebays global shipping programme is a money making exercise. You don't need it, and it rips off the reciever by making them pay a massive surcharge on top of their purchase price. International shipping these days is really easy, and fairly cheap. I sell a lot of rare gamebooks on ebay, and international purchases make up the bulk of my trade these days.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:33 am

Panic over! Stupid German supplied a UK address. I guess he'll leave ze bad ze feedback

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:18 am

The global program is rubbish, I bought a menu off ebay usa, it was a sheet of paper less than A4 size for $10, I asked seller what the likely cost was for posting it as ebay was bringing up over $20 to have it sent via there new system, he said it was in reality $6, took quite a while but at payment stage he managed to get rid of the global thing and do it normal at actual cost for me. Unless a seller can do the post normally I avoid any Global shipping listings now.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:24 pm

I think Mayhem posted in a different thread about these hub places opening packages to check the contents were as described for the buyer before re-packaging in something worse. This might have been an isolated incident but it's enough for me to avoid anything relating to the 'hub'.

Can you just not select the hub option when listing stuff for international postage?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:27 pm

I just had to pull 2 bids because of this same thing and it even says very clearly in big bold letters UK ONLY, I might get stuck with the stuff but its better than risking a hole in my pocket especially with a long time member who hasnt got a single feedback to their name.
Watching you sleep since 1990

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:04 pm

Surely you can make the auctions UK only to stop people from bidding from outside?
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:10 pm

I couldnt see anything to do that while listing otherwise I would have done and I definately had the international option un marked.
Watching you sleep since 1990

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:28 pm

You have to change your settings on the selling dashboard somewhere to block bidders from certain (or all) foreign countries. This also blocks them from being able to message you.

Additionally - when listing an item - you can create an international exclusion list in the postage section so maybe it would be better to just check all the regions.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.