Using Headphones for game audio?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

IronMaidenRule

Using Headphones for game audio?

Post by IronMaidenRule » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:19 pm

Only recently started using Headphones whilst gaming and finding the quality to be better than what comes out the TV, better bass and feeling of immersion in the environment, certainly makes Fifa and Battlefield better.

Not using any cheap in ear ones but some decent over the head types. Feeling I have neglected this side of my gaming experience and wonder if other people also use headphones or use some better than the standard TV speakers, temped to investigate a 2.1 sound solution but find headphones are more then adequate at the moment.

silvergunner

Re: Using Headphones for game audio?

Post by silvergunner » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:35 pm

Good set of headphones make the world of difference. Never buy cheap headphones as they just ruin the experience and you will only shove them to the back of a drawer cause they sound rubbish and become a waste of money.

Most of the time I use a full 5.1 system, the big box on the left of the picture is the sub if anyone is wondering. TV sound will never come close. To be honest even a good sound bar and subwoofer combination for smaller rooms will do a fantastic job. Been really impressed with the new Orbitsound products on the market.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:09 pm

I have used a stereo since 1993 and surround after that. Also obviously use meaty headphones too.

A good sound system totally changes a game, especially with awful TV speakers of today. I cannot live without it.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:36 pm

I don't bother with console games as I don't have room for a sound system set-up and don't really get the chance to completely block the world out with headphones!

I do use them with handhelds though as the sound is just so much better. I was using them with my 3DS and Fire Emblem Awakening recently and the battle music especially is twice as epic. So many pieces of the music/arrangement that you just can't hear with the standard speakers.

I also once connected my original DS to a sub + speakers set and it nearly blew my head off :lol:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:59 pm

all of my consoles run through a pretty old bad ass Cambridge audio amp and speakers (but im never aloud to put it on loud in case I wake up the kids :D )

I occasionally run the audio through a gaming chair which is really loud too, headphone wise I just have some official wii u ones as they were dirt cheap. sound quality on them is pants though

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:16 pm

Sound is half the joy of a good game and it's amazing the amount of people who have only played handheld games never using headphones. Shame as the soundtracks are genuinely fantastic in most cases in this day and age. Even old gameboy stuff can sound fantastic. Robocop is a great example.

Cambridge audio amps are great stereo amps. Very good sound for the money.
Last edited by silvergunner on Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:53 pm

My son and me had Turtle Beach headsets for the PS3 but Sam trod on his and i gave mine to my mate for his nipper as a favour. They make the world of difference to standard tv speakers. Like being able to tell there's someone behind you in a FPS from the crunch of boots on gravel/glass etc....aces! 8)

I'm currently thinking about getting a reasonable set of PS4 'phones. Dunno what to go for as my budget isn't that high. Probably £100 max. Any suggestions/recommendations? (forgive the thread hijack, but i guess its relevant :) )
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:56 am

When i really play through a big game i always use earphones. I have the Sennheiser ie80 which cost me a small fortune and a game is transformed when i use them as the speakers from my TV are censored and i don't have room for a surround setup. It really does immerse you in the game on a much deeper level.
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:36 am

Certainly feel like I have been missing out over the last few years using the TV audio, was playing Shadow Of Mordor last night and the sound was amazing, camp fires, Orcs talking, animals in the distance, brilliant stuff!!

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:55 pm

Ive started using them more in PC gaming, nothing too fancy but it does give better awareness of opponants position I must admit.
Watching you sleep since 1990

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:15 pm

I have some Turtle Beach 360 ones which are good, although your head gets a bit sore after an hour or so. Problem is the mic picks up everything, so you can't have your own music on if you're in a party of everyone will hear it

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:59 pm

I good set of ear/headphones should really be a minimum for single player gaming. All TVs have sockets, use them!
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:08 pm

nakamura wrote:I good set of ear/headphones should really be a minimum for single player gaming. All TVs have sockets, use them!
Not all Tv's, certain my old 14" CRT doesnt.
Watching you sleep since 1990

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:08 am

Yeah quite a few modern small screens (under 32") or the cheapest of the cheap don't have headphone sockets. Hell I have seen some with not even a digital out :shock: shocking in this day and age.

playzooki

Post by playzooki » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:39 pm

good headphones will make a world of difference over cheap headphones.

this might be slightly unrelated, but my motörheadphones broke halfway through making an album, and now im stuck with some old cheap headphones, the difference is very noticeable as cheap headphones tend to be quieter and have little to no bass